April 14th, 2009

Did McCain snub Palin on Leno?

McCain left off Palin's name on his list of future GOP leaders.
McCain left off Palin's name on his list of future GOP leaders.

(CNN) - Did John McCain snub Sarah Palin during an appearance Monday on NBC's The Tonight Show?

That's what some pro-Palin bloggers and other political observers claim after the former GOP presidential candidate left out his former running mate when naming five governors who he thought were in position to lead the Republican Party.

"We have, I'm happy to say, a lot of voices out there," McCain told host Jay Leno before listing Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, Utah Gov. John Huntsman, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, and Florida Gov. Charlie Crist.

"There are a lot of governors out there who are young and dynamic," said the Arizona senator.

McCain then quickly joked, "I've left out somebody's name and I'm going to hear about it."

Criticism of McCain's comments are particularly fierce at TeamSarah.org, a blogging Web site for Palin supporters.

"McCain, who screwed up his campaign by not voting against the bailout, can't mention Sarah's name on Leno? It hurts the party and it makes him look bad by dissing her a 3rd time," wrote one blogger. "Maybe it's a good thing he didn't become president."

McCain has said in previous interviews it is too early to say whether he will support Palin should the Alaska governor run for president in 2012. His daughter Meghan made similar comments on CNN's No Bias, No Bull last week.  (Video below)

McCain has also praised Palin since Election Day, saying late last year of the Alaska governor, "It's one of the great pleasures I've had to get to know her and her family, and I think she has a very bright future in a leadership position in the Republican Party."

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. S Callahan

Sounds like John and his daughter are doing lots of kitchen table chatter......glad to see the dialogue is changing.

April 14, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  2. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I can't believe that people are still worring over something like this. Even if McCain did snub her, it doesn't mean much because I don't think people will really follow her unless they are unthinking ideologues. During her time on the campaign trail and after the election, I can seem to remember any point where she showed any more than just touting the party line. We need thinkers and people who are willing to go beyond their own party's interest.

April 14, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  3. Amy

I was so tired of hearing McCain lie during the campaign about Palin's experience, her readiness, her "maverickness," that I for one APPLAUD him now for being honest with us, and admitting that there are other better qualified candidates.

If only he had chosen one of them during the campaign.....

April 14, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  4. Sean from KY

Again I say what I always say. Who cares about Sarah Palin. All she is is a spectacle which everyone can mock and a few can love. She will never be president and she will never be the GOP nominee so why anyone acts as if is important is beyond me.

April 14, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  5. John in Ohio

McCain and McCain need to lead a split from the Republican party. I want to see them as the founders of a moderate party. Bring in Lieberman, Arnold, Evan Bayh, Lincoln Chafee, etc. Our government should not be a choice between conservative extremes and liberal extremes, even if I personally am on the liberal extreme.

April 14, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  6. Palin/Joe the Plumber 2012

Let the games begin! Palin was, is, and always will be the number 1 joke of the GOP.

April 14, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  7. John McCain

Is it just me or does it seem that some are looking for a problem?

April 14, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  8. Sniffit

Even McCan't seems to have come to his senses. I can just imagine the vicious, hateful, spiteful Palin supporters who screamed all those nasty, racist, horrific things at Palin's rallies all foaming at th emouth and ready to tear the old man apart with their teeth...and it's hilarious.

April 14, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  9. Tough Lady, NC

I think Senator McCain knows he made a mistake in selecting Gov. Palin as his running mate. Gov. Palin bought out all of the nuts that call themselves republicans. The first time I heard the word socialism referring to President Obama was from Joe the plumber. Gov. Palin repeated the term and it caught on even with people that should know better. Intelligent people don't want to follow or be associated with Joe the plumber.
    CNN will you follow-up on the first time the term socialism was used during the fall election for President. I am sure it was Joe the plumber who has become a spokesman for the republican party. This is why the republicans have become such a joke. They are following Joe the plumber.

April 14, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  10. Lank

This is why I voted for Palin, not McGlib. Mavericks don't win elections, true Conservatives do, and take responsibility for their own loss instead of blaming the very woman he personally nominated.

April 14, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  11. Stan

Think it is about time that her 15 minutes of fame expire. She can't even control her own family so how could she govern?

April 14, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  12. Adam

Haha, ohh Sarah Palin...

Even your own party is distancing itself from you...

I really do hope you run for president in 2012, there couldn't be an easier way to re-elect obama...

Thanks for your contribution to further destroying the Republican party.

April 14, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  13. JonDie

"McCain...listing...Jindal...Pawlenty...Huntsman...Romney...Crist (leaving out Palin)."

Much to do about nothing (a Freudian slip perhaps). However, McCain doesn't have much brain power left (this is same the guy who uses "Iraq" and "Iran" interchangeabley as if they are the same country).

The thread is, however, a part of the media's campaign to keep the country in a permanent state of electioneering in order to make more money and drive up the cost of running for office.

April 14, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  14. Francisco

McCain is a smart man and recognizes that he lost the election thanks to Palin inability to be "smarter than a fifth grader". The republican party deserves better, and Palin is not the way for us to triumph. We know too well the damage of having 8 years of a "below average but well intented individual at the white house" . We do not need a below average greedy individual like Palin in the white house.

April 14, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  15. Greg Smith, Clifton Heights PA

John McCain is a has been. Sarah Palin is the future of the Republican Party and the future for all Americans. She is right on the issues and has better judgement then our present President. She is a successful Governer in Alaska and knows how do run an organization. I hope the media will stop this unfair bashing they are doing, she does not deserve this.

April 14, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  16. Atem K.

McCain has constantly made bad decisions and sayings, that he will lie and deny them, even though they are recorded news. Why this big blowhard is even in the news anymore is beyond my understanding.
    He really has no sound judgment and can never contribute anything worth while to use help solve the drastic economy the GOP has left this country in? He claims to be a "MAVERICK" ,,,yeah, he is one alright and with no brains to match.

April 14, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  17. JMac

It is about the best thing he said or didn't say.

April 14, 2009 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  18. no Palin

I think John McCain has it right by not mentioning Palin. The woman has proved she is a user and whst ever it takes to get elected. I especially feel sorry for the johston boy. to try and shoo him out of the lives of her daughter and granddaughter show how heartless and manipulative the woman can be. She reminds me of a female George Bush.

April 14, 2009 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  19. KJL

When Senator McCain was running for president, Palin tried to undermine his efforts and promote herself. It was obvious that she had visions of grandeur and wanted to run in 2012, even though she was clearly unknowledgeable and polarizing. Why would he support her now?

April 14, 2009 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  20. Jacqueline in Missouri

I believe that Mc Cain knows that obviously if she can not manage her own family with wisdom and style, that she has no chance of being elected. I thnk Team Palin needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

April 14, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  21. Mike S.

That says a lot about McCain's judgment. He's not yet willing to endorse someone he was willing to put a heartbeat from the presidency.

At the risk of sounding like Judge Judy: "You picked her."

Say goodnight John. And go to bed Sarah.

April 14, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  22. larry buchas

In retrospect, he's come to his senses. It appears he's listening to his daughter and advisors.

It's OK, John. The election's over and you are forgiven.

April 14, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  23. Samuel

He KNOWS he screwed up royally when he chose Palin to be his running mate. How long did it take for him and his crew to know that she didn't have any common sense or working brain cells?

April 14, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  24. Mike

Given the names he did mention she shouldn't feel too left out. If the GOP is going to get back in a power position it needs to truly embrace the party virtues, not just say it does and do the opposite.

April 14, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  25. Muckinello

That TeamSara website is a GREAT. Made me laugh out loud and forgot all my worries about the economy! I was kind of annoyed that Sarah Palin was still so much in the news but now I wellcome it.
    Especially all the latest family misteps. To think that she had a slight chance of being our VP!! What a difference to the ones that are in charhe now.
    Keep it coming TeamSara... I need my laughs in the morning with my coffee!

April 14, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |