April 15th, 2009

Cafferty: What if New York becomes 5th state to legalize gay marriage?

Join the conversation on Jack's blog.
Join the conversation on Jack's blog.

New York could become the fifth state to legalize gay marriage. Governor David Paterson is expected to introduce legislation tomorrow that would make marriage between same-sex couples legal in New York.

Paterson has previously said he’s committed to bringing “full marriage equality in New York state,” adding it’s a problem that gays and lesbians who live in a civil union aren’t entitled to around 1,300 civil protections that are available to married couples.

Former New York Governor Eliot Spitzer introduced the same bill back in 2007 — it passed the Assembly but died in the state Senate. It’s expected the bill would pass the Assembly once again, but would need support from some Republicans in order to pass the Senate.

To read more and contribute to the Cafferty File discussion click here

Filed under: Cafferty File
  1. Terry

My niece married her girlfriend in a nice ceremony in Texas that had absolutely no legal force at all. I told my niece at the time that both my first and second wives were women and I didn't understand anyone who wanted to marry anything else.

Both families were there, they had a cake, we all brought gifts, and it was nice. My niece's bride had children from a previous marriage who were there. Her children were crazy about my niece.

We still have the pictures, but the couple has since broken up and they have nothing to do with each other any more. The children were devastated at losing my niece, and they still write to her. The two partners don't speak to each other any more.

Only a gynecologist could tell the difference between their marriage, relationship, and breakup and a heterosexual marriage, relationship, and breakup.

I've read that the frequency of violence and breakup among gay couples is similar to the frequency of violence and breakup among heterosexual couples.

My heterosexual marriages were not damaged by the experience.

April 15, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  2. Gracie

So WHAT Jack? People need to understand that Gay marriages is a reality in this country. Folks can argue and protests ALL they want, gay marriages is here to stay. Americans need to get over it and move on. We have BIGGER things to worry about than what two adults do with their private love life.

I'm married and I'm NOT worried about any gay marriage. I think folks are "threaten" in their own marriages and in their beliefs and they are "blaming" gay marriages for their own fears and insecurities!!!

April 15, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  3. Kelby In Houston, TX

It would mean that we are one step closer to fulfilling that part of The Pledge of Allegiance that promises "liberty and justice for all"
    Wouldn't it be funny if we added "except gay people"

April 15, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  4. midtownblue

Here in Georgia, our metro transit system (MARTA) is always lacking funds. Our legislature made matters worse by not addressing this during the recently-concluded session. Governor Sonny Perdue has refused to call a special session of the legislature because access to transit isn't worthy of the expenses incurred for a special session . . . however, he had no such qualms about calling just such a session a couple of years ago to deny gay citizens the legal right to marry. Funny about what makes the "approved list" of bigots. I got married in November (not in Georgia) and I don't think I've ruined the moral and social fabric of our country. But, I'll keep trying.

April 15, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  5. Carmine Abbattiello

I don't see where there's any compelling federal dimension to this issue, so if thats what the people of NY State want, so be it.

April 15, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |