April 15th, 2009

Schock: 'There's no line of young ladies at my door'

Illinois Republican Aaron Schock sat down recently with Details magazine.
Illinois Republican Aaron Schock sat down recently with Details magazine.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Illinois Republican Rep. Aaron Schock is hoping a recent magazine profile will help him in Washington's bustling social scene.

"'There's no line of young ladies at my door every morning,'" the 27-year-old congressman told Details in an interview for the magazine's May issue. But, "'[m]aybe when they read my Details profile . . .'" Schock added.

The young Republican has come from nowhere to become a rising star in the GOP in just a few months since becoming the youngest member of the 111th Congress.

Schock was voted "hottest freshman" by the readers of the liberal Huffington Post Web site. He was also showered with attention by President Obama, who was hoping to win the young congressman's vote for his $787 billion stimulus plan. (The freshman Republican hopped a ride on Air Force One with the commander-in-chief and attended a presidential town-hall-style event in Peoria, Illinois, but ultimately voted against the bill.)

And Meghan McCain, daughter of former Republican presidential hopeful Sen. John McCain, recently showered praise on Schock, suggesting that the young conservative might be the future of the GOP and calling him a "congressman-turned-TMZ hottie."

Related: TMZ focuses on Schock

With all that attention, the spotlight was inevitably bound to turn to his personal life – a subject he discussed with Details. "He's the only one of his siblings not married with children, and is similarly an outlier among friends," the profile says. "'I had a group of fix or six guys, and we hung and traveled – ski trips and stuff,'" Shock told the magazine. "'They slowly got picked off – married, married, married.'"

There is apparently so much pressure on the young, successful congressman to settle down, that his longtime friends are trying not to add to it, according to the magazine.

While he settles into life in Washington, the bachelor is keeping himself busy with lots of time at the House gym. Schock told the magazine he also enjoys listening to music – "'everything from Keith Urban to Justin Timberlake to Rihanna.'"

Filed under: Aaron Schock • Popular Posts
  1. Paul

yawn... yet another republican "rising star". The RNC trots a new one out each week.

April 15, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  2. Kate

He did refer to his friends getting married as them being "picked off........." Are we really shocked he's single?

April 15, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  3. Moe NY

I am not a republican, nor will I ever be a republican, but give this kid some space. He is just starting his political career, and who knows (in time) he may just be able to change the party of No for the better.

April 15, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  4. Robert

Wow – a fairly light-hearted article and almost all responses are hate-filled rants by liberals. They know nothing about this guy and yet hate him just because there is an R next to his name. And yet they claim to be "open-minded"... LOL.

April 15, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  5. Kevin

I agree with Carol.. The guy is young... I'm a Democrat and it's refreshing to see Meagan McCain and Aaron Schock... A new face for the Republican Party...

April 15, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  6. Peter E

I hope the GOP has better solutions than just pushing pictures of their most photogenic members onto the media. How will this help the economy?

April 15, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  7. david

lol, when does looks make you a star? Welcome to Hollywood, i mean washington... lol

fools

April 15, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  8. MESA MICK

"Pretty Boy Politico"- But does he have any chops?
    How about some new conservative ideas or is he just working the press and low info repulicants 'cause he's got looks ala Palin?
    Bottom line – Give me smart politician not a pretty one....

April 15, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  9. val

Not Yet, I guess you will be the next GOP in the news, you all seem to have a problem being gentlemen.

April 15, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  10. tom

CNN – My party is done with the look thingy! We already tried that one with the showgirl "Palin"! Susan Boyle is a Testament to: don’t ever judge a book by its cover! We dodge the beauty thingy with palin speaking in generalities and scant aptitude but she was a “Hottie” just without the Brains.

We are looking for brains now….

April 15, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  11. Jeff of Peoria

He's from my town. Don't expect much more than a pretty face. That's what he was worth in the State. He'll be the GOP and will not cross them. Ray LaHood but just a little younger.

I can hear him now "JUST TELL ME HOW TO VOTE"

April 15, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  12. Todd

Hey, if your a Republican from IL you would be considered a Dem from any other state in the union outside of CA and NY...leave the partisan politics aside...it's nice to see young people in politics.

April 15, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  13. NC

It's hilarious that this guy is getting slammed for being:

a) Nice looking. Can't see it myself but I'm a guy, however, after two straight years of Obama's physical characteristics being rammed down our throats, and 97% of one ethnic group voting for him, many on that basis alone, it's hardly surprising.

b) A gym user. Whereas nobody has ever dared to criticize Obama for his basketball playing.

Hypocrites!! Democrats!!

April 15, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  14. bob

that makes 3 stories i've seen on cnn.com about rep. schock – all 3 are about his 'hotness'. cnn should be better than that... also, i have suspicions as to why he's not married – quick! name one straight guy you know who listens to rhianna or justin timberlake. yeah, i don't know anybody either...

April 15, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  15. Matt: Honestly

Robert,

While I am a more liberal person, I do agree with your comment. There is no need for hatred from either side. People really need to look at both sides, not whether it is a Republican idea or Democrat. Then choose from there whether it supports the country as a whole. Protecting all citizens.

April 15, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  16. Lynn

Sounds pretty deparate to me and much like a profile for an online dating site.

April 15, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  17. Michelle Bell from Alabama

He is hottt. I might not agree with all of his veiws, but he is HOTTT.

April 15, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  18. robert

Love the MSM, how is he a GOP star all he's done is....nothing.
    He's a good looking guy who has pictures without a shirt. But to say he's the star of the republican party is ridicolus. Let him establish a record, then we can judge how bright his star is.
    What a waste of a story, no wonder we're in the trouble we're in, you guys are to busy covering nonsense stories.

April 15, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  19. Jake

You all act like it is the GOP pushing him out for his looks when it was the most liberal web site in existence, the HuffingtonPost that crowned him the best looking congressman. Get a life liberals, my guess is he is much smarter than all of you and it burns you up inside.

April 15, 2009 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  20. Gary Lucido

I guess this qualifies him to be president next election.

April 15, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  21. Doug

"Young ladies"??? Paging the 1950's! Perhaps he should be seeking a WOMAN instead of "young ladies." Such condescending, sexist language from such a young guy. Oh wait, he is a young Republican, THAT explains everything. It would be fun to watch him call a group young professional women "young ladies." They might teach him a thing or two about respect.

April 15, 2009 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  22. Dawn

Poor baby... He cannot get a date?

April 15, 2009 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  23. Ellen M. Wolfe

I`m from Illinois. I don`t know anything about him, so I don`t criticize him. I think I read a story that he was bunking in his office to save money or was that somebody else? He can`t run for president till he is 35, so let`s give him a break and see what he does. If I were he I wouldn`t want the label 'hottie', I`d want to be complimented for my brains. Sexist cuts both ways.

April 15, 2009 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  24. Shane

Another spoiled rich Republican who can't see the big picture.

April 15, 2009 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  25. bruno

The only GOP hotty i know is Sarah Palin. So delicious!

April 15, 2009 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |