April 15th, 2009

Schock: 'There's no line of young ladies at my door'

Illinois Republican Aaron Schock sat down recently with Details magazine.
Illinois Republican Aaron Schock sat down recently with Details magazine.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Illinois Republican Rep. Aaron Schock is hoping a recent magazine profile will help him in Washington's bustling social scene.

"'There's no line of young ladies at my door every morning,'" the 27-year-old congressman told Details in an interview for the magazine's May issue. But, "'[m]aybe when they read my Details profile . . .'" Schock added.

The young Republican has come from nowhere to become a rising star in the GOP in just a few months since becoming the youngest member of the 111th Congress.

Schock was voted "hottest freshman" by the readers of the liberal Huffington Post Web site. He was also showered with attention by President Obama, who was hoping to win the young congressman's vote for his $787 billion stimulus plan. (The freshman Republican hopped a ride on Air Force One with the commander-in-chief and attended a presidential town-hall-style event in Peoria, Illinois, but ultimately voted against the bill.)

And Meghan McCain, daughter of former Republican presidential hopeful Sen. John McCain, recently showered praise on Schock, suggesting that the young conservative might be the future of the GOP and calling him a "congressman-turned-TMZ hottie."

Related: TMZ focuses on Schock

With all that attention, the spotlight was inevitably bound to turn to his personal life – a subject he discussed with Details. "He's the only one of his siblings not married with children, and is similarly an outlier among friends," the profile says. "'I had a group of fix or six guys, and we hung and traveled – ski trips and stuff,'" Shock told the magazine. "'They slowly got picked off – married, married, married.'"

There is apparently so much pressure on the young, successful congressman to settle down, that his longtime friends are trying not to add to it, according to the magazine.

While he settles into life in Washington, the bachelor is keeping himself busy with lots of time at the House gym. Schock told the magazine he also enjoys listening to music – "'everything from Keith Urban to Justin Timberlake to Rihanna.'"

Filed under: Aaron Schock • Popular Posts
  1. ex illinois man, now a pennsylvanian

just because he is perhaps attractive doesn't mean he'll be a leader with great lawmaking and political skills

April 15, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  2. Lynn West Bloomfield, Michigan

GOP is always looking for a star! They never stick though because they eat them. LOL

April 15, 2009 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  3. The Omen

Uh . . . Next.

April 15, 2009 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  4. AnIndependent

I know I shouldn't say this but he looks like the dethroned evangelical preacher Ted Haggard. Looks are not enough – there has to be intelligence and will to do what's right no matter what the party says. I don't think this guy has the chops yet – he is a veritable baby compared to the rest of the GOP! Oh well – still searching for someone good, decent, capable, etc, etc. The GOP used to be my party but the Bush clan has cleared that out of me!

April 15, 2009 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  5. Greg

Why not a line of men? If the "ladies" aren't interested – too bad. I still wouldn't vote for him but we could work out some type of trade...

April 15, 2009 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  6. D.H.

I'm sorry to say I don't know a lot about this guy. I have heard his name in editorials before and good things were said about him. He is, of course, young and good looking, but why should that be held against him.

It is sad to see all of you judging the book by its cover. You're telling me that if he was ugly you would have more respect for him.

April 15, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  7. Tulsa L

If you can't get the votes with a (what some people called) a pretty women (Palin) that didn't work so now lets try a young good looking guy, maybe that will bring the votes back......I don't call him that good looking but maybe other men will find him fabulous..........

April 15, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  8. I used to like CNN but not anymore!

Poor little Doogie Howser, cheer up I hear Bristol Palin is suddenly available, as long as you don't mind some other guy's kid tagging along that is!

April 15, 2009 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  9. Dan

My god people!!!! Talk about living up to the "ugly american" stereotype. No wonder half the world hates us!!!!

Give the guy a break and see how he does....he was liked well enough to a least get elected. Besides I can think of another politician who no matter what people claim did NOT have alot of experience that is now in the OVAL OFFICE!!!!!

And before you Liberals think I'm ripping on the him....I am a Republican but I did vote for and support Obama.

April 15, 2009 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  10. Al

I am neither a Rep nor a Dem, I vote for who I believe is best for the job. But it seems to me that both parties have their idiots, and their closed minded ones who rode the short bus to the polls. Dems accuse Rep's of being closed minded, yet automatically hate someone just because of their party? Give the guy time, examine his voting record, let him learn and develop, THEN cast your opinion. Let him live his life. At least he is open about his, and not receiving sexual favors under a desk in the oval office. Divisive politics don't have a place on EITHER side. Grow up, learn to play nice, or we'll take your toys away. This guy, no matter what his party, has done nothing to garner your insults.

April 15, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  11. Pat in IL

There are lots and lots of pretty faces of both sexes out there. The point is, and will be, is he intelligent enough and public servant enough to become more than just another GOP "yes man"?

April 15, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  12. Deb in Colo

Has he met Megan McCain?

She was on here a few weeks ago complaining about her love live too.

April 15, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  13. dan

If you are a serious politician, from either party, do you really want to be associated with TMZ? I actually watched this show for 5 minutes once, and this is what it was like: The head guy would say "Joey, what do you have for us?." And Joey would say, "I saw Brad Pitt putting gas in his car". And then they show the video of Brad Pitt putting gas in his car. And then the head guy would say "Betty, what do you have for us?" And Betty would say, "I saw Russell Crowe coming out of a grocery store." And then they show the video of Russell Crowe coming out of the grocery store. Incredible, hard hitting news, don't you think.

April 15, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  14. Joanna

He is really nice to look at!

April 15, 2009 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  15. Pepou

Shocking !

April 15, 2009 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  16. Ekbaaaal from DC

Sure !!!

Once the details were read, tots of excitement I heard on the San Francisco and Castro Valley circles too

April 15, 2009 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  17. JonDie

I bet Sarah Palin got her eye on him.

April 15, 2009 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  18. Al, California

How he has no shame to be associated with GOP? Well, may be he is like most of them.

April 15, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  19. Chi Town

dan:

or Jay Leno

April 15, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  20. HouseDiva

the GOP should change their name to POG (Plenty Of Gimmicks)

i don't care if he looks like Don Juan De Marco...he's still ugly republican scum.....they just don't get it do they?

April 15, 2009 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  21. Valerie

He is admittedly a good looking guy. But as a former constituent, I can say that he's a pompous party-line touter who's politics are devious at best.

Who cares what he looks like...how does he vote?!?

April 15, 2009 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  22. Becky

"Rising Star"? The Republicans trot one out for us to view every other week. He's hitched his wagon to a "falling star". The Republican Party is in a free-fall. Doomed.

April 15, 2009 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  23. Sammy

Ok people, its not news. But again so what, man lives on more than bread and water alone. Read it and laugh. Its a great offset to reading the other news that makes you cry.

April 15, 2009 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  24. erik

Ah, but any good looks can only be superficial... Republicans, of course, are quite ugly on the inside...

April 15, 2009 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  25. James

How he apologized to Rush yet? He isn't leadership material until he goes through the GOP rite of passage.

April 15, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |