April 15th, 2009

Tea Party: Will you be drinking or dunking?

Activists nationwide are holding gatherings on Tax Day, April 15.
Activists nationwide are holding gatherings on Tax Day, April 15.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Finger sandwiches won't be served, but there will be a lot of frustration brewing about the current tax system at "Tea Parties" being held Wednesday across the nation.

Activists are holding these events on tax day to voice their opposition to the current tax system and the federal government's spending decisions, such as bailing out the banks and the auto industry.

So, what do you think? Have President Obama and Congress taken the right steps to help the ailing economy? Have Republicans been smart to oppose his fiscal policies? Does the tax code need an overhaul?

Tell us your thoughts in the comment section below.

Here are some CNN stories about the nationwide "Tax Day Tea Party":

Activists gear up for national 'Tax Day Tea Party'

GOP uses tax day to raise money

GOP encourages supporters to send virtual tea bags to top Dems

Listen: CNN Radio analyzes the politics of Tax Day

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. VGal

For all of the Republicans complaining about how Obama is spending money.... So, it was OK for Bush to spend billions of dollars on a ill-advised war in Iraq, but it is not OK to spend billions of dollars on America itself? I'm not in agreement with the current spending, but I ALSO opposed the spending of the last 8 years.

April 15, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  2. steven

jake if your going to start telling people to themselves then get a life its a free country anybody can express themselves the way they want if you don't like it move to Iran please

April 15, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  3. debinaz

this is not the gop conducting the tea parties....i am a democrat, but i am an american first....these flakes in washington have driven over the constitution more times that one would care to count. i would suggest to the folks that have such hate for america to find somewhere else to live...i would not stay in a place that i didnt like....if you think what this government is right then you truely dont love america.....they are moving in and taking control of everything that we do....i love my freedom and want it to remain intact....spending money for who knows what? promised transparency and there has been none.....this government should have never given out a dime and as well bushs administration shouldnt have either......if they want to spend our money we should be the ones to say yes or no, not a few that sit in washington collecting paychecks.....we should start with them at a tax rate of 90%

April 15, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  4. steven

To Jake and big Papa
    its a free country and i'll express it the way I want i'm not racist and i'll be dang if I get threaten by extremist libs who run there mouths then when I run my mouth I get threaten with the race card if you don't like america moved to Iran or afghanistan please

April 15, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  5. marilyn

Once again, the Republicans have shown the country just how Anti-American they really are....the purpose of taxes in to secure the safety, welfare and education for the people of the united states...instead they want to mock paying taxes and try to draw a connection between now and what are forefathers fought so hard for..I guess they won't stop at anything except civil war...they just keep stirring up the pot for people who have nothing to complain about while the rest of us just keep working and trying our best...they create this mess..I now believe that it was created on purpose since they have so much vested interest in seeing everything Pres. Obama is doing to fail..i only hope the majority of Americans keep on believing that we are finally on the right track..

April 15, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  6. Richie

You repugs make me sick. You're not willing to pay what good ol' Ronnie Regan had you paying. RAISE TAXES ON THE RICH. They make me ill.

April 15, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  7. I can see Canada from my house!

@ Charlotte:

As for the " uneducated Liberal" comment:

The previous president's name is BUSH, not BISH.

Use a dictionary, if you have one.

April 15, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  8. nobody actually puts their name here...

I'm not going to join the slander fight. I'm just going to watch and laugh.

This entire country is full of moronic "adults" who are still juveniles at heart. I'm still in my sophomore year of high school, and yet after glancing over your comments I'd say I'm more mature, level-headed and tolerant than the vast majority of you. If you can't stop arguing, at least tone it down.

I know I'm fighting against the tide, but I still have to point this out. You're all being so immature that it's no wonder nobody's happy. You're too busy squabbling to lighten up, or even better, in the immortal words of Teddy Roosevelt: "You're muckrakers." Too busy flinging slander to look up and see the sun.

April 15, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  9. Tony

I'm curious to see how big these events get, and I fully support them; but other than maybe signing a petition I'm not participating. Protesting is for hippie with too much time on their hands. I'll instead protest in Nov 2010 when I cast my vote in the midterms.

April 15, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  10. sceptic

Kat said "If it's the bank bailouts they're protesting, then they're one administration too late!

If it's Obama's financial plan they're protesting, then they're launching their protest way too soon to know if it's really going to work or not......."

Excellent points. And if their income is less than 250K, they should have no problem with Obama's tax plan.

April 15, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  11. H Sandford Pinyan

This is NOT news. It is a staged media event by FOX news (laugh here) and taxes are the least thing that the participants are whining about.

April 15, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  12. Cry me a River!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a bunch of Idiots.....

April 15, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  13. Edward Blake

The tea parties are really just whine... er, *wine* parties being held by the minority party – the party soundly defeated in '06 and '08, the party that is quickly losing relevance as it drifts more and more away from mainstream Americans.

April 15, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  14. James

@Garry,
    The facts (on average): Where did you get your "facts", because if you really look at it, I bet that those who make between 30-60K a year work more "real" hours than those who make over 100K. As far as education goes, the top tier often has no education or a joke of an education bought by their daddies. Then there are some of us with a Ph.D. working tirelessly to cure cancer but get paid dirt, even less than dirt under the Bush admin. But who cares about people trying to Cure your diseases.

April 15, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  15. Dan

As everyone can see, the low number of people joining in on this "tea party" is a sign of how unpatriotic people can be when their ambitions are blinded by greed.

April 15, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  16. ken

iF, AS REPORTED 95% OF THE WEALTH OF AMERICA IS OWNED BY 5% OF THE PEOPLE–THE SO-CALLED "TEA PARTIES" WON'T HAVE MUCH OF A GATHERING. But if you pay me I'll go!!

April 15, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  17. Democrats Suck

If you love Barry Obama and more taxes, send all your money in. Go ahead, liberals, get real jobs and put your money where your mouth is....

April 15, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  18. Robin Peters

First Coast Tea Party . . .
    HUGE SUCCESS!

There were Democrats, Republicans and Independents in absolute agreement.

The goverment is not acting in the best interests of the people. The spending is out of control and incredibly wasteful.

I am 100% Kosher . . . No pork!

April 15, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  19. LIP

This is not about party affiliation, this is about paying outrageous amounts of money to support a bureaucracy. It reminds me of a cartoon published back in the 1800's that showed a really huge fat guy with little spindly quaking legs. The fat guy represented big government and the legs represented the peoiple/tax payers. Not much has changed since the 1800's.

April 15, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  20. Keith, CO

A party buried in ignorance. I know there must be sane people in the party but it seems they can't make more noise then the fools. Beside, where I live many of them are flying confederate flags. They care nothing for the U.S.A.

April 15, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |