April 15th, 2009

Tea Party: Will you be drinking or dunking?

Activists nationwide are holding gatherings on Tax Day, April 15.
Activists nationwide are holding gatherings on Tax Day, April 15.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Finger sandwiches won't be served, but there will be a lot of frustration brewing about the current tax system at "Tea Parties" being held Wednesday across the nation.

Activists are holding these events on tax day to voice their opposition to the current tax system and the federal government's spending decisions, such as bailing out the banks and the auto industry.

So, what do you think? Have President Obama and Congress taken the right steps to help the ailing economy? Have Republicans been smart to oppose his fiscal policies? Does the tax code need an overhaul?

Tell us your thoughts in the comment section below.

Here are some CNN stories about the nationwide "Tax Day Tea Party":

Activists gear up for national 'Tax Day Tea Party'

GOP uses tax day to raise money

GOP encourages supporters to send virtual tea bags to top Dems

Listen: CNN Radio analyzes the politics of Tax Day

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. In Rush We Trust

Glad to see the GOP has finally realized that this is the 21st century are there is this thing called "the internets" that is made up of a bunch of vacuum tubes. Soon, they may realize that this is also no longer 1955 and that Americans aren't the Cleavers.

April 15, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  2. FreeNLovIt

What a mess! Just by reading everything, looks like we're on target for Armageddon.

April 15, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  3. Normal American

They really don't have anything to offer.

April 15, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  4. Helena

Halloween has come early this year.

April 15, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  5. Rosaland

I have never attended a protest of any kind in my life but after watching the poor coverage of the tea parties on your and many other networks – I am going to leave shortly. I expect MSNBC to cover them unfairly but not at CNN! I want our president to suceed as well as our country but it does not take a harvard grad to figure out that big deficit spending means more taxes down the road. I and many other americans were mad when Bush with the first bailout but it just keeps going on and on and on. You tell us little stupid people when it stops? That is how I feel that you have portrayed all of these americans who are protesting. What you "networks" do not understand or even get is what it is all about. Government on both sides have sold us out, transparancy is a joke. I have been watching this whole tea party thing develope for a while and many repub. officials were not allowed to speak even when they asked to and have never heard you report on that. That is so completely bias and dishonest. By the way, I did vote for Obama and I am so disappointed in your network. Thanks for making me and many other americans out to be right wing radicals even if we are democratic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 15, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  6. Had It

When these far-right-wing nutjobs stir up the worst in our society and something bad happens, I hope they all pay in eternity (and here on earth).

April 15, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  7. DAVE

I understand you completely, and I too am seething with anger, but my anger is at the Republican Party, and I'm livid with them because I'm tired of the LIES and RENAMING of the TRUTH in order to get VOTES. Look how they preyed upon Christian Values, THEY DO NOT HAVE CHRISTIAN VALUES! What they have is a manner of deception that works.

April 15, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  8. Romney2012

To all that think Obama gave a tax cut....

he merely did another slide of hand, and changed the withholding on your paycheck (providing you actually work, and aren't a freeloading liberal)....so, you'll get an extra $15 a week...gee, that'll really fund your college education, help you pay your mortgage or assist small business owners with making payroll.....in actuality, it allows you stupid liberals to remain hostages of the Hope chain gang...

@T Mckinley – yeah, whites are mad,...but we understand why you blacks voted for him, because he's black, and you're an ignorant racist....COLOR has nothing to do with his pisspoor policies and facist agenda, moron...besides, he's a puppet for the WHITE Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi. You colored folks should be pissed about dat!

April 15, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  9. I laugh at Limbaugh daily

Im listening to the biggest liar on AM radio right now.You have to keep your enemies just as close as your friends.He cant fool me with his BS,and I like many conservative idea`s.I turn it off when his sponsors come on and have a list of them.I will never buy a thing from any of them.

April 15, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  10. hello

There are lots of ignorant people like Mark.
    That it is the middle class who runs this country and paying taxes and Obama is on their side.
    Does Ignorant Mark knows that rich people pays only 17%
    (Waren buffet)with all loop hole created by republican and the biggest welfare is received by corporation who is out sourcing his job.
    US auto industry is in trouble because of republican refusing to raise milage standard.
    Before you support this FOX NEWS event make your self educated.

April 15, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  11. Jill-IN

Check your pay stub - if you make less than $250K year, your withholding tax should have gone down last week. Visit a nearby Vet Hospital or Care Center and see who really has paid the price for Bush overspending and what are you giving them in return. Only losers would go out and jump around throwing teabags and complain about how oppressed they are!

April 15, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  12. Mike in MN

I will be attending the TEA PARTY in Minnesota this evening. There are a varity of issues being protested. Bailouts, pork spending, stimulus bill, taxes and the Obama deficits. For me I am protesting the bailouts and the huge Obama deficits that dwarf those under Bush. Obama is not saying how the almost 10 trillion he is adding to the national deficit will be paid for. He apparantly does not have a plan and lies that he is actually reducing the deficit. The only possible outcome will be a bankrupt American or massive tax increases on the middle class. I support neither outcome. Obama must go!

April 15, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  13. SD,Michigan

Ah, tea parties, how romantic...brought to you by corporate lobbyists and Fox News, to protest against 3% tax increase for the wealthiest 1% at the end of 2010...while nobody says anthing about the same rich hiding from IRS 100 billion a year in off-shore accounts.....
    GOP at its best, highjacking libertarians' idea to fit their own agenda.

April 15, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  14. Glennis

I don't mind paying my fair share of taxes when the monies are used by our government for necessary spending. What I strenuously object to is the government going on a never ending spending spree, throwing money at every pet project and whim that comes along. The waste, inefficiency and downright abuse of taxpayer money is obscene. And now the administration wants to add trillions more to the debt. They're like a drunk on a bender. They can kiss my grits.

April 15, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  15. Nini

I am independent register voter and going to the Tea Party because I love America.

I am going to the Tea Party because I don’t think we need a new foundation, we already have one and that is our constitution.

I am a first generation immigrant and will defend the United States constitution with my life.

I am going to the Tea Party because I am afraid for our democracy.

This is not about the hate for Obama or Democrats, I am defending what I believe is the greatness of America.

I am going to the Tea Party because I don’t believe in big government and I don’t think our founding fathers did either.

April 15, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  16. SOUTHERNER

You people are exactly who I call traitors. You and the Reopublican party who complain about Taxes. I was recently in Iraq and did not go there to defent a bnch of traitors. Join the military if you really are patriots. If not, then go and pay your darn taxes. You people disgust me. The people in Iraq, as much as I hated them at least were nto crying about paying taxes. All they wanted was to be defended by the government. You peopla are defended very well.

April 15, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  17. U.S. Common Sense

To answer the last question in the article, yes the tax code needs to be revised. It is too complex, so complex that even the head of the Treasury cannot file correctly. It is time we put this loop-hole ladened monstrosity to bed and start anew. With a simplified flat-tax or a national sales-tax only system, there would be no need for individuals to file tax forms at all. The number of individuals who attempt to cheat or refuse to pay their taxes would decrease greatly, and it would cost the government less to process. Additionally, the excuse that the wealthiest in our nation are not paying their fair share would be removed since they would not be able to take advantage of loop-holes designed by both the republicans and democrats over the years. This would result in a lower tax burden on everyone and an end to the cyclical argument during campaigns on "how are we going to fix this."

April 15, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  18. rob

Lots of love here as usual. What they are turning out for is the outrageous baliouts from both parties and the crazy spending along with it.

This is not an attack against Obama, its about the policies of the govt.

Notice the story about the "RIGHT WING EXTREMIST'S" threat that was just leacked by the Obama admin, the intention is to stir up fear of anyone who doesn;t support the admins policies.

I thought Bush was the fear monger.

April 15, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  19. ResponAable

Why has CNN failed to report that these are "Astroturf" events? Astroturf means that they are corporate or political events made to look as if they are grassroots. The Fox News network has claimed ownership to the Tea Parties calling them" FNC Tea Parties."

Why would CNN neglect to identify the sponsors unless the network itself had an interest in seeing them publicized– and misrepresented to the public?

The media intentionally failing the public again!
    RA

April 15, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  20. walleye

The only ones making out in todays farce is the Lipton Tea company. Once again Republicans looking out for the rich.

April 15, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  21. Lee

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the bank and auto bailout actually high interest loans? If so, wouldn't the taxpayer's money grow with repayments? So, why are they complaining about the government making money again?

April 15, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  22. David Newport, OR

Only the GOP doesn't know what "teabagging" really means. Too bad I can't write it in this forum. Open wide Republicans :)

April 15, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  23. gail

I make a 1100 dollars a month. You see for the rest of us here, this is about being American, not your stupid party rhetoric. You need to quit being such a brain washed sheeple. These protest were supposed to be held by the people for the people and now you have the Right Wing and Left Wing making a spectical out of these thing. Republicans hijacked the movement for ratings and votes but their corruption never goes away as you can tell. Obama is trying to make it right what went really wrong in our country.....

April 15, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  24. SlowGun

@worriedmom April 15th, 2009 12:59 pm ET

I am all for the Tea Parties. Spending has gotten out of control, Obama may be telling us he is cutting taxes for the middle class but in the future that will not be with all of D.C.'s spending. In addition, we are being taxed on all sorts of items to make up for deficits. These tea parties are not just for Republicans, it is for Americans!! It is time to get our country under control. Stop illegal immigration, and for those whom they are trying to get ammesty, if you want to grant ammesty then make them pay fines for every year that they were here illegal in the U.Sand collect deficits there to make up for the budget. I don't want my children and grandchildren having to pay for all of this!

--------------------------–

So worriedmom...you don't want your grandchildren paying for programs that will help the poor and sick and at the same time help turn the economy around...but you're ok with them paying for a war we didn't have to start...interesting I bet you go around saying that America was founded on Christian values...don't you?

April 15, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  25. Jane

It's an American's constitution right to protest, but PLEASE people: study the facts & decide for yourself if the cause is worth protesting for and don't just listen to the Talking points. Remeber the ridiculous mis-management of the economy that occurred the prior 8 – 10 years before the Obama Administration took office. A more novel idea would be for you all to actually come up with a solution that is actually good for America & not just a small percentage of America instead of complaining.

April 15, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |