April 15th, 2009

Tea Party: Will you be drinking or dunking?

Activists nationwide are holding gatherings on Tax Day, April 15.
Activists nationwide are holding gatherings on Tax Day, April 15.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Finger sandwiches won't be served, but there will be a lot of frustration brewing about the current tax system at "Tea Parties" being held Wednesday across the nation.

Activists are holding these events on tax day to voice their opposition to the current tax system and the federal government's spending decisions, such as bailing out the banks and the auto industry.

So, what do you think? Have President Obama and Congress taken the right steps to help the ailing economy? Have Republicans been smart to oppose his fiscal policies? Does the tax code need an overhaul?

Tell us your thoughts in the comment section below.

Here are some CNN stories about the nationwide "Tax Day Tea Party":

Activists gear up for national 'Tax Day Tea Party'

GOP uses tax day to raise money

GOP encourages supporters to send virtual tea bags to top Dems

Listen: CNN Radio analyzes the politics of Tax Day

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Gary

WE NEED LOWER TAXES!!!!!

The facts (on average): People making over $100K per year work more hours per week and more years of their life than people who make less than $100K. They have more years of education, more graduate degrees, higher GPAs than those making under $100K. They are less likely to default on loans, less likely to commit crimes (especially violent crimes). They save more and invest more. People making over $100K pay a higher percent in taxes and recieve less government services than people making under $100K. People making over $100K donate more money overall and more money as a percent of their salary to charity than people making under $100K. They pay a higher percent of their healthcare expenses than people making under $100K. STOP TRYING TO LABEL PEOPLE RICH AND PUNISHING THEM WITH CRAZY HIGH TAXES. These are the people that contribute the most to society. Raising their taxes will not make the country better. If you want to make the country better we have to figure out how to get the lower half of the country to study more, work more, save more, donate more. That will make the country better.

April 15, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  2. Robert

I went by one to watch. It was the largest collection of confederate flags I have ever seen in New England. Hmm...

April 15, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  3. Vic of New York

Newt: Stop giving WELFARE to Wyoming.... CUT MY PHONE TAX !!!

April 15, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  4. Tina

I just returned from lunch – I live in Chicago – and I am livid. I saw people walking around with signs that read "God Save the Constitution."
    Where were these people when Bush had destroyed it over the past 8 years?
    Don't they realize that their ignorance is exactly where the people like Hannity and Limbaugh want them to remain? Someone has to clean the toilets and wait on others at McDonald's and type the letters for the big guys who make the millions, right!

April 15, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  5. Party of No

ray ray April 15th, 2009 2:22 pm ET

@ GOP-is-done quips,
    Yes, please recount the number of bottom feeders looking for a handout last January. Caus' the gubamint is going to give me a tax refund (even though I don't pay taxes), free healf-care, more welfare, and pay the mortgage since I can't afford it.

Speaking of lowlife inbred bottom feeders...anoither post from the king of the cess pool.

April 15, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  6. Faith Restored

So...where are ALL the people of color who are real, hardworking, caring, invested in the future of America, pay taxes, and are also losing homes, jobs, etc. being represented in all this Fox Footage of "true patriotism?" Don't worry...I'll wait...LOL

April 15, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  7. big papa

Dear Right wing Obama-hating racist dittoheads,

Please exit the country at your convenience...

...otherwise...

...we're prepared...

April 15, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  8. Carol

Republicans lose the majority and they lose their minds....

Wow, Doug of New Jersey, there is medication for paranoid delusions.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Doug, New Jersey April 15th, 2009 12:01 pm ET

Obama has the DHS going after all Americans who do not vote lib while turning a blind eye to every Islamic sucide bomber and other real terrorists who actually want to kill Americans all over the globe.

April 15, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  9. Fair is Fair

Hey, Mel... you're right. Everyone on here pays taxes. I said INCOME taxes. Fact is, 50% of the population doesn't.

April 15, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  10. skh

If you all like giving your tax dollars away in bonuses to bank execs that make over 7 figures......giving a raise to a Congress that caused this mess by deregulation...watching your investments dwindle below 50%, supporting drug addicts and ppl who are too lazy to work, my hat is off to you...you have way to much money to waste...I actually have just had a huge increase in my property tax and local taxes and more tax increases on my gas and electric bill that $22 is not going to cover....get rid of the idiots in Congress. They can't read.

April 15, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  11. Norom

Where were all your whiners during the last 8 years??

You break it, you buy it.

April 15, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  12. Charlotte

and for you uneducated liberals blaming bush.

BUSH signed the first big 700 billion dollar bailout.

NOW GO SEE WHO VOTED FOR IT.

80% Democrats in congress VOTED WITH BISH

80% Republicans opposed it.

Its public record people...go loo it up.

You bash bush when he acted with your own party

April 15, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  13. gewe

WHERE WERE ALL THESE PEOPLE WHEN BUSH WAS BORROW ING BILLIONS FOR WAR I FORGOT THE REPUBLICANS LOVE WAR

April 15, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  14. true american

propaganda is what cnn is and a bunch of puppets , keep on spreading the news you are not even close on telling the truth,come talk to me in two years and see if what im saying is wrong.you guys have no clue , have the great usa be torn down by a muslim born in a different country ,great at least is only going to last for 3years and seven months, have fun with your great news broadcasting is right on ,all a bunch of puppets

April 15, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  15. Carrie

This so called "tea party" is really in reference to the tax codes that were put in to place during the Bush Administration. Where were these people for the past 8 years when all our tax dollars were going to pay for this stupid war in Iraq??

And oh by the way, those taxes that these people are protesting actually go to pay for the services that many of these people would not dare give up – ah social security, medicare???

And just for the record, the Boston Tea Party had absolutely nothing to do with taxes: it really had to do with TEA.

April 15, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  16. Republicans Suck

Dear Rethugs: It's time to move on and work together. :-)

April 15, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  17. Scott

Almost nothing has changed about the tax system in decades. Sometimes the taxes go up a little, sometimes they go down a little. Republicans do actually raise taxes (quite a bit actually) and Democrats actually do cut taxes sometimes (like Obama has for most people).

This whole thing has nothing to do about taxes. It's a manufactured event driven by the conservative media, tapping into conservative America's delusions of isolation, persecution and silly paranoia.

Conservative America is going through the textbook stages of grief – they are just in the anger stage now. They need to lash out because they lost the elections and are finding themselves in the minority for once. They think that having to share America means they are loosing their world. They'll grow up eventually.

April 15, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  18. Little too late????

arithmetic is liberal April 15th, 2009 2:44 pm ET said:

"And as soon as any workable ideas come out of the Republican Party, we might be able to put that theory to the test."

Don't forget...from bloomberg....House Speaker Nancy Pelosi added to the mood by saying, “Yes, we wrote the bill. Yes, we won the election.” Before there could be any response from the Republican Party, the voting timeline was forced into hours vs days...unlike what BHO 'promised'.

Like I said...it would get shot down by the 316 Demacrats led by Nancy and Harry. All because it was a REPUBLICAN idea and Nancy and Harry would fall on their swords to get it to NOT pass.

...and that is One Nation Under God??

April 15, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  19. Aaron

What would happen if every tax supported endeavor would cease to exist for just one day? What would life be like with no schools, highways, military, police protection, regulation of banking, or food and drugs? Life would be far worse, I think!

April 15, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  20. VGal

I don't know if President Obama's policies will fix the economy – and I highly doubt that ANY of those protesters know either. What I do know, is that unless those fools in the uncle sam costumes make more than $250,000 a year, they are actually paying LESS in taxes this year. So, either they are just too dumb to understand OR they are just too rich to care.

April 15, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  21. Woodbutcher

Just think, if we could all be union members and govt employees both,we could all go on strike and then the govt would have no other choice but to give us what we want.Ya, right. Break out the fire hoses and rubber bullets and lets have a real tea party. "Obama style"

April 15, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  22. Matthew in Oregon

This just in: A handful of weird white people don't like to pay taxes.

In other news, a dog has bitten a man.

April 15, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  23. Karen S Crow

SMART1 .. I do pay taxes. I just don't want to pay out any more than I have to.

As for the current administration ... the concept the White House is following is a Socialst model. It is simply and best described as "From each according to their abilty (to pay). To each according to need.". That is PURE Socialism and has FAILED UTTERLY everywhere it has been tried. (Check your history if you do not believe me.) So what makes you, the White House & other Democrats BELIEVE it will SOMEHOW work here and now??? (And if you really DO believe it ... I have some nice beachfront property on the west side of Odessa I'd like to sell you!)

As for the country ... I believe an austerity program on par with the one implemented by Maggie Thatcher in the early 80's for England will have to happen. Welfare rolls will have to be slashed, government spending and agencies cut in half or more and means testing for anyone still receiving some sort of aid. Look ... I'm simply tired of having to pay for the irresponsible behaviour of individuals. Their irresponsibility has become my financial liabilty over the last 20 years! I won't go into it .. because I don't think CNN wants an entire column on the ills of America. Personally, I utterly dispised Bush for the drunken spending over the last 4-6 years and I would REALLY like it if Iraq would pay back at least SOME of the money it cost over there. (Not gonna happen ... but it would be nice.)

Simply put ... The US government is spending more money than you, I or 4 generations of future Americans will be able to pay back & it has to stop. Somehow ... someway ... someone will have to throw the brake on this out-of -control government.

I'll leave you with one last thought .... right now ... what is propping up the US governement is US Treasury bonds being purchased ... mainly by Communist China. If they decide to cash those in (Call in their markers, if you will.), then the US will be at the behest of a foreign power that does NOT have our best interests at heart. Americans would, in effect, be financial slaves to Communist China until all of the bonds are paid back.

I would rather be called heartless & cold and do what is needed in curtailing & ultimately cutting all wasteful spending and begin paying off our national debt ... rather than sell future generations into servitude and slavery.

You may laugh at this ... but it is the bleak future for America if the national checkbook is not removed from the hands of the spend thrifts in DC.

April 15, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  24. Art Suro

I just watched a CNN reporter arguing with a demonstrator at one of the "tea parties." Her politics took over and trumped her ability to report. Too bad, but too often repeated, usually not this openly. She seemed to think it was counterproductive for the demonstrator to be against his state receiving $50 billion in stimulus. It is difficult for some if not most to understand, but this is not a left or right demonstration. It is quite simply a statement against the growing and controlling and some say oppressive federal government meddling in banking, industry, and private enterprise without having any good idea what to do. The last time I was this concerned for my country was after Watergate under the Nixon administration. We had some good reporting then; where is it today? Not on CNN, I think.

April 15, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  25. Republicans Suck

And I thought there were smart people in Olympia.

April 15, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |