April 16th, 2009

Jindal: 'Give the new administration a chance'

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal said neither political party should 'question President Obama's patriotism or his intentions.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal said Thursday that Republicans should "give the new administration a chance" and suggested that former Vice President Dick Cheney should tone down his criticism of President Obama's national security policies.

"I think Democrat or Republican, we should all agree that our current president, our former president would obviously want to do everything they could to keep us safe," the Republican governor said on ABC's Good Morning America Thursday. "I don't think we should question President Obama's patriotism or his intentions."

Cheney has been highly critical of Obama, saying on CNN's State of the Union last month that the president's policies will "raise the risk to the American people of another attack."

Responding to a question about Cheney's remarks, Jindal said it's fine for both parties to have an "honest disagreement" on the best way to handle America's national security and praised Obama for "showing more flexibility when it comes to Iraq than maybe some of the campaign rhetoric suggested."

Jindal, seen as a rising star of the Republican Party, was himself critical of Obama's message during his trip overseas earlier this month and said he would have liked to see the president offer "more substantive policies."

"We need to stop going overseas and apologizing, criticizing our predecessors," Jindal said. "I think it's great that he's certainly well-received in foreign capitals, but I'd like to see more substantive changes from our allies."

Filed under: Bobby Jindal • Dick Cheney
  1. Robin

I agree Cheney should be more low key. Right or wrong, the previous adminstration does not have the trust of Americans.

April 16, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  2. DavidE73

I agree with Bobby Jindal. Premature criticism of Obama is self-defeating because it comes across as a grab for political power.

April 16, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  3. GET REAL.

Sounds like the Republi-stapo forgot to come around and give him the big horse pill of hate. Quick! Rush and Coulter to LA, STAT! He's going to ruin the hate parade!

April 16, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  4. Moderately Democratic

Flip-Floper

April 16, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. Gary S.C.

"Jindal, seen as a rising star of the Republican Party"
    I thought he took care of that with his little " Mr. Rogers" speech earlier.
    Remember if you take in a snake as a pet, It is still a snake.

April 16, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  6. VGal

Finally – a Republican that is showing maturity. Maybe Bobby Jindal will be the new face of the party. He seems to be wising up. Republicans will never win an election by pandering to their small, far right wing base. They must reach out to those of us who sit somewhere in the middle. Those of us in the middle want our country to succeed regardless of who is in office. I did not agree with Bush – but I still wanted his policies to succeed – for that meant success for me.

April 16, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  7. Briana the college sudent

he can't beat Obama in 2012. sorry bobby.

April 16, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  8. RB, Sonoma County, CA

All of the sudden, Jindal is recognizing that the stimulus package is WORKING and that his famous anti-stimulus speech of a few months ago is going to look ludicrous from the vantage point of history. So now, he's puttin' on the spin!

April 16, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  9. Linda from Minnesota

Me thinks Bobby is trying to show all the folks how he can be bipartisan and cooperative so he can run in 2012. If he means what he is saying today, why didn't he say this when he bombed in his national speaking debut after President Obama's speech in January.

April 16, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  10. AB

I guess tea party had the sme old republican faces.

April 16, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  11. Bill

what is going on. Republicans are running to make headlines everyday...

April 16, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  12. TyWebb

I guess he just threw his hat in the ring for 2012!

April 16, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  13. mike,texas

He sounds like a good politician.The republicans might be on to something.Integrity

April 16, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  14. enlightened voter who can actually think for themselves and not blindly follow like sheep

Nice to see someone show class and not criticize or place blame as a person of less integrity would do. (read into this dimocrats as your idol consistently criticizes and places blame. keeps the focus off of the little he is actually accomplishing)

April 16, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  15. Zion

The US cannot continue to be arrogant to other nations simply because they "think" they can. If we are going to reposition ourselves in the international system, we need to come humble and ready to work with others. I don't see where the Bush arrogance or the arrogance of the previous administrations has exactly helped our position in the world.

April 16, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  16. John

Are you kidding Jindal after we heard for 8 years we will never except George Bush as my President. Being in the military I have already had to salute BO and I almost threw up. We heard plenty hateful things about Bush and I intend to repay the favor when I am out of uniform for BO.

April 16, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  17. CAL

I don't recall President Obama criticizing bush when he was overseas last week. He talked in general about how we need to work together to solve our issues, hell somebody has to state that. Even though the President didn't name him, everybody knew who he was taliking about hell he was the last president in office, DUH!!! Jindal needs to shut up he is such a rookie to me and since he rejected the stimulus money for the victims of Katrina I have no respect or desire to listen to him say one word. Loser

April 16, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  18. Lost in Texas FOREVER

"Give the new administration a chance"?? Uh oh Gov. Jindal you just wound up in Rush's doghouse. You better get ready to act like Mike Steele and ask for forgiveness!

April 16, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  19. gotta go

I do believe he is playing both sides of the fence. Sounds like he is prepping himself for a presidential run, unfortunately people don't have a short memory and remember what he has said in the past concerning Obama.

April 16, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  20. Shirley In California

While I'm glad he is speaking out, I have to ask myself how long will this goodwill last?

April 16, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  21. Windy City

I don't buy what Jindal has to say. Sounds like he is trying to make nicey-nicey with the Democrats in hope of gaining supporters should he run in 2012. The damage has already been done.

April 16, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  22. live as one

is this a movie ? if so who's writing the script? all this flip flopping is getting pretty weird.

April 16, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  23. mtv

Well at least he is starting to realize the truth instead of making another stupid speech against the President like he did before

April 16, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  24. ceepee

Did the man have an epiphany?

April 16, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  25. Corolla

Daddy Rush is going to scold you!!

April 16, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |