April 16th, 2009

McCains lend a hand to gay Republican group

Meghan McCain is a vocal supporter of same-sex marriage.
Meghan McCain is a vocal supporter of same-sex marriage.

(CNN) – Log Cabin Republicans are getting some support from the McCain family.

Cindy and Meghan McCain will make an appearance at the gay rights organization's four day convention in Washington, which kicks off Thursday night.

"Of all the causes I believe in and speak publicly about, this is one of the ones closest to my heart," Meghan McCain, a vocal supporter of same-sex marriage, wrote in the Daily Beast this week. "If the Republican Party has any hope of gaining substantial support from a wider, younger base, we need to get past our anti-gay rhetoric."

Steve Schmidt, former senior strategist for John McCain's 2008 presidential campaign and manager of Arnold Schwarzenegger's gubernatorial reelection campaign in 2006, will also be in attendance. Schmidt will be speaking about the 2008 election and the GOP's comeback agenda.

In an interview Thursday with CNN, LCR Spokesperson Charles Moran said the organization is lobbying New York Republicans to help pass the same-sex marriage law championed by the state's Democratic Gov. David Paterson.

"We have people on the ground, we're identifying our bases of support, looking at our polling, looking at our research, so that we can be ready to assist the marriage coalition in New York with targeting those crucial GOP votes," Moran told CNN.

The group is also working on identifying the Republican players who will serve as the face of their organization's mission.

Moran citied Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, a Mormon Republican who has called for the adoption of civil unions, and Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele, who acknowledged that gay Republicans have a place at the party's table.

"These are the types of leaders and luminaries within the Republican party," Moran said. "The party must move forward and regardless of where you are in the conservative spectrum, you definitely can be conservative and an openly gay Republican in this political climate."

"We don't just talk the talk but we actually are providing the boots on the ground, we're making those calls, and we're loyal Republicans," he said.

1. ex illinois man, now a pennsylvanian

the reason why the GOP will not come back in years is because this branch of the party will repeatedly be shot down by the rest of the party

April 16, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  2. James

Watch out for those extremists in your party and your all set. Though I myself couldnt imagine voting for a Republican for a very very very long time after the behavior ive seen and am still seeing. Who knows what the future holds, maybe their childish mentality will finally be more accepting of reality and alot of the things Americans face that they've ignored for so long. Whatever the case they need BIG changes.

April 16, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  3. Waterboard Coulter, we want the truth about that Adam's Apple!

Uh, oh, Meghan you stepped in it this time! However, I must commend you, because you did this knowing full well that Lush will throw down the gauntlet to get at you.

We Dems may have trouble with you in the future since you come across as a rational repub.

Nah, the comments from the neo-cons on this blog that are about to rip you to shreds will never change before they all die out!

Then we better keep an eye on you!

April 16, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  4. Alan Smith

She should be excommunicated from the GOP for sticking up for equality. Disgusting.

April 16, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  5. Former Republican for Obama, Columbia, TN

I'm a proud Gay American and moderate-conservative and I am happy that the McCains have donated their time to this event. Meghan is exactly right-if Republican ever hope to expand the party, they need to adopt a more open approach for gays & lesbians, racial/ethnic minorities, women, and other underrepresented minority groups.

April 16, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  6. did the Oxycotin king o.k. this?

uh oh, shaft, rush and the other GOP rank and file that the repug senator and reps answer to wont like this

they have been deliberately ignoring that gay people exist for some time now

April 16, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  7. Brian Crooks

The LCR's have always really confused me. Today, they had their spokesman on CNN and when pressed to name Republican elected officials who supported them named John Huntsman and Michael Steele. I'm not familiar with Huntsman's attitude, but I do recall Steele saying that it would be "crazy" for the GOP to moderate on gay marriage and also said, regarding allowing civil unions in lieu of marriage, "what's the difference?"

Imagine this was a group of Muslim Americans and they supported a party that didn't want to allow Muslims to marry or even get civil unions. It's just mind-boggling. But I'm happy they finally got some real support. Meghan is really trying to drive a new direction for the GOP. We'll see if anyone follows.

April 16, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  8. Nathan,

How come some moron always gets on here and says "WITH ALL THE NEWS GOING ON THIS IS ALL CNN CAN POST" like this is the only story on the ticker or on CNN. Don't they know that line stopped being clever the first time it was used. If you have nothing to say how about saying nothing. Enough about amoeba brains.

This Meghan is either a plant or a closet Democrat. I bet she didn't even vote for her Father.

April 16, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  9. Ia Guy

One of my best friends, my mother, and many of her friends are Republicans and support gay marriage. I'm independent and support equality for all - even if you don't like gays they are citizens and deserve (and will have) the same rights as everyone else. That's reality.

Hats-off to Megan - there might be hope for that party yet.

April 16, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  10. Matt

I'm not gay and couod care less if someone else is. This is not a Republican vs. Democrat issue. This has to deal with the narrow views of religion vs. the evolution of society and culture. Someone mentioned earlier that gay couples are higher educated , more financially responsible and its true. This has become a civil rights issue.

We can compare this to how Blacks. When blacks began to stand up for equal rights, the majority did whatever they could to hold them back. Hoses, lynches, segregation, etc. This is the exact same thing in a different time with different people. Gays don't choose to be gay, they just are so whats the problem wit someone being happy and being themselves. Its not contagious.
    My question would be to anyone anti-gay is what if the gay person is religious. What happens then? I know for a fact that not every Christian is perfect. It says in the bible so again whats the problem?

April 16, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  11. Brian

I have to agree with Mississippi Mike, the Republican base will never accept gay marriage or rights in this lifetime. I listen to Meghan McCain whenever I get the chance and to me she sounds more like a very moderate Democrat, she'd have an easier time persuading Democrats to lean more center then the Good Ole' Boys of the Republican to lean an inch left. Lost cause.

April 16, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  12. Simmy

M. McCain seems to be touching all of the issues that will bring attention to her and make her believable. There is an underlying agenda here. Yesterday it was Schock, the young Republican Rep. Now her again. She started leaning towards CNN because most Liberals blog here...I see clearly...There's nothing blurring my vision. They are up to something....Individually and collectively...Or maybe their paranoia is rubbing off on me...

April 16, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  13. Jimmy Jojo

I love how outspoken and "straight talking" she is, but what part of her is actually a republican?

April 16, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  14. Lucy

Meaghan in 2020? She's already better than Palin

April 16, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  15. John

Hello Meghan:

This liberal Democrat thinks you are pretty cool! I love your independent, gutsy thinking–you are my kind of maverick.

Even though I didn't vote for your Dad, I still greatly admire him a person
    and his service to our country.

Warm wishes from Colorado

April 16, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  16. Gay in America

It's 2009 & we're still discriminated against & victims of hate in America, the Land of the Free & Home of the Brave. America is guilty of this, Democrats & Republicans alike. This is the first time I've read these messages and I'm surprised by the amount of democrats who do nothing but hate on other people. Do you work? Question really is, where were YOU during the past 8 years? You did nothing, just as Obama did nothing by voting "present". His people died for the right to vote and he DID NOTHING! Did you have any tea parties? Get a job & start paying taxes. It's as though Wright's congregation fills up these message boards. Stop complaining and join us working Americans – the Republicans! Go Sarah! We love you!

April 16, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  17. J

Looks like Meghan has found her dads straight talk (no pun intended). Too bad gramps caved in to his handlers and kept her quiet during the campaign. He might have fared better on election day with a reasonable Republican like Meghan by his side.

April 16, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  18. Seth

Brian, NJ April 16th, 2009 5:44 pm ET

"It is not the governments job to decide who goes to hell and who doesn't. The government does not belong in the bedroom. A real Republican would feel this way.

These people that are against gay marriage, what are they afraid of, what are they trying to stop? Gay people will continue to be gay and to live with the one they love. Why not afford them the same legal rights."

It's not the legal rights that are in question, it is the definition of marriage. I don't think most Republicans have problems with civil unions affording all the same legal rights, but to define a gay relationship as a marriage gives it a moral legitimacy and sanctity that I think many people are still not comfortable with. I must be behind the times, society has been pushing gayness for a long time now, but I'm still not ok with gay "marriage".

April 16, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  19. Mike Dallas

Any type of Love is better than any type of Hate!

April 16, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  20. heartlight3

I always laugh when I see Republicans whining about smaller government and saying they want the government out of people's personal lives. Then they turn around and want to tell us who we can sleep with, who we can marry, how we can die, and what we can choose to do with our bodies. Then they wonder why they have no credibility.

April 16, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  21. Jerry

Pete said it all.....I applaud these ladies, but are they doing this just to get more votes? (i don't care either ways) I have always said that republicans, who are self-proclaim champions of morals, are the most bigoted of the two parties. They easily forget the most basic rule: The Golden Rule. Yet on sunday they clutch tightly to their bibles.
    They decry any thing that serves the interest of other Americans when it does not serve theirs. Selfish bunch!!

April 16, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  22. obambi

I se nothing on these blogs but liberal hate comments–back to the real news at fox.

April 16, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  23. Independant from NY

As soon as the republicans realize that their social agenda is poison the sooner their fiscal policies will gain credibility.

April 16, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  24. sarah

perhaps one day i'll have a candidate to vote for who shares my values: socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

here's to hoping!

April 16, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  25. debinaz

oh her father must be so proud of her....we did not vote for gay marriage here in arizona and it is likely that it will never happen....

April 16, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |