April 16th, 2009

Texas governor says secession possible

(CNN) - Texas Gov. Rick Perry isn't ruling out the possibility his state may one day secede from the nation.

Speaking to an energetic and angry tea party crowd in Austin Wednesday evening, the Lone Star State governor suggested secession may happen in the future should the federal government not change its fiscal polices.

"There's a lot of different scenarios," Perry said. "We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we're a pretty independent lot to boot." (Video below: Tea party fires up debate)

Perry, who is beginning to gear up for what could be a challenging re-election race, rejected more than $500 million in federal stimulus funds earlier this year and has been highly critical of President Obama's stimulus package.  (Related: Joe "The Plumber" speaks at Michigan tea party)

His comments come a week after endorsing a resolution in the Texas state House reasserting state sovereignty over federal mandates.

Specifically it states that "all compulsory federal legislation that directs states to comply under threat of civil or criminal penalties or sanctions or that requires states to pass legislation or lose federal funding be prohibited or repealed."

Texas, America's second biggest state in area and population, was its own nation for 10 years before joining the United States in 1845.

Should Texas one day secede, one man may already be vying to be its president. Actor Chuck Norris said last month he may be interested in the post.

“I may run for president of Texas,” Norris wrote in a column posted at WorldNetDaily. “That need may be a reality sooner than we think. If not me, someone someday may again be running for president of the Lone Star state, if the state of the union continues to turn into the enemy of the state.”

Filed under: Rick Perry
  1. Frank Lee

Keep that in mind Rick, the next time a hurricane slams the Texas coast.

Don't call us, we'll call you.

He's a big of a blowhard as Sarah Palin.

April 16, 2009 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  2. Creative Woody

So, now sedition is patriotic?
    Do the 28%ers even listen to themselves anymore?

April 16, 2009 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  3. ItIsMe

He should be put under arrest for making such a treasonous statement...

April 16, 2009 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  4. Kristin

OH How I hope they succeed at this. Then all of the right wing paranoid nut bags could go live there!!!
    They don't get any of our tax money or support. Not any of our miltary support. No tax supported, roads,schools,parks,NOTHING!!!
    They could even elect Rush as their President!!!!!

April 16, 2009 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  5. Colin

I think I speak for all of us when I say, you won't be missed.

April 16, 2009 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  6. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

First Alaska, now Texas. What is wrong with these governors? There are 50 states. Not 49, nor 48. I wonder Dubya thinks about Texas seceding.

April 16, 2009 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  7. jim

Right I suspect Mr perry will no longer be governor of Texas before long.

Then agan he was hand picked by George W Bush, would not expect anything less.

I suggest let Texas go!! We can build a border fence around Texas and use Texas as a buffer for Mexican violence. Maybe Geoerge W will get called back up in the reserves to defend Texas – that would be funny!!!

April 16, 2009 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  8. Gmc

Sounds like a great idea to the other 49 states, especially if they're keeping the Bush family!

April 16, 2009 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  9. HENRY

Bye Bye Texas ! W. can run for President again and attack Iraq again.

April 16, 2009 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  10. Will-South Dakota

Great lets build a fence around Texas now, once they cross the borders you know what will happen, Illegal Texans running rampant across America.

April 16, 2009 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  11. WIlly Brown

You Rock Texas!

April 16, 2009 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  12. marie

This governor is a idiot. I hope all other Texans vote him out of office. I know I will.

April 16, 2009 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  13. Zion

Please separate from us. As a teacher, I am looking for creative ways to bring up our national average in education. Please leave by all means.

April 16, 2009 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  14. Patriot

Best news I've heard all day! Give Texas back to Mexico and take the rest of the red states with you!

April 16, 2009 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  15. Jack

I am from Texas, but now live in Cali. Rick Perry just needs to go away. He barely won the last election (he had 30 something percent). He only won because there were so many people in the race. Isn't suggesting your state secede an act or treason?

April 16, 2009 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  16. christi

I was borned and raised in Texas and I love my home state, but I have to say that Mr. "Good Hair" needs to take a step back. His rhetoric is ludicrous to say the least. He already knows that there is a high probability he will lose the election so he is trying to fire up the extreme right. Luckily, there are smarter people than he thinks in Texas...

April 16, 2009 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  17. Chris

That's fine.
    We'll give you back to Mexico. Make sure to take Dubya with you.

April 16, 2009 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  18. Sam H.

Nothing but a bunch of hypocrits that didn't say a word when George W. and the Republicans ran up trillions in debt.

April 16, 2009 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  19. George, Greenville

If this ever happens, I will become one of the first to immigrate to the new country.

April 16, 2009 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  20. kole

actaually when texas entered the union it wasn't based apon that fact that it could one day leave, but that it self could dissovle into 5 states

April 16, 2009 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  21. judy

I live in Texas. He is an idiot, we have a lot of idiots here.

April 16, 2009 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  22. FL Dem

Bye Bye, you will not be missed!!!

April 16, 2009 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  23. Kirk Massey

Mr. Perry,

I reside in Tulsa Oklahoma and am proud to hear you stance and support you entirely. I would even move to the great state of Texas if this situation become worse. We are taxed way too much already and for the federal government to unconstitutionally feel they can push the little people around is not right. I appreciate your efforts and if there is anything I can do to assist please let me know.

God Bless You!

Kirk Massey

April 16, 2009 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  24. Peter Johnson

As usual, it sounds like even Rick Perry doesn't know what Rick Perry is talking about.

Is he saying that Washington's behavior has been a problem for a long time? If so, he's throwing his own party under the bus, since they ran DC for the past 8 years.

Or is he saying that, after 3 whole months of Obama, it's already time to secede?

Either way... how did this guy get elected again?

April 16, 2009 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  25. Fair is Fair

Texas may not be the only state.

It saddens me to see things like this happen. Not unprecedented, though... the Soviet Union was once a union of 15 "states", and now they're 15 independent nations.

I guess it's just a matter of time. The states, after all, formed the federal union to promote their common welfare. When more and more states see the enormous expansion of the federal government far beyond what the founding fathers intended and infringing on state's rights, more and more will be talking like this.

April 16, 2009 09:17 am at 9:17 am |