April 19th, 2009
6 months ago

Meghan McCain warns of looming civil war in the GOP

Meghan McCain addressed a group of gay Republicans in Washington Saturday.
Meghan McCain addressed a group of gay Republicans in Washington Saturday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Meghan McCain warned a group of gay Republicans Saturday that there was "a war brewing in the Republican Party" – a war between the past and the future.

"Most of the old school Republicans are scared s***less of that future," she told a gathering of the Log Cabin Republicans, a group of gay and lesbian party members.

The 24-year-old daughter of former GOP presidential candidate John McCain pushed back against critics upset over her comments to CNN that she wanted President Obama to succeed, and played down her recent headline-grabbing feuds with conservative commentators Ann Coulter and Laura Ingraham. "I did not expect my frustration with what I perceive to be overly partisan and divisive Republicans to cause a national incident," she said.

"I feel too many Republicans want to cling to past successes...I think we're seeing a war brewing in the Republican Party," she said. "But it is not between us and Democrats. It is not between us and liberals. It is between the future and the past...

"I am concerned about the environment. I love to wear black. I think government is best when it stays out of people's lives and business as much as possible. I love punk rock. I believe in a strong national defense. I have a tattoo. I believe government should always be efficient and accountable. I have lots of gay friends. And yes, I am a Republican," she told a cheering crowd.

Last week, McCain signed a deal with Hyperion to write a book about the future of the Republican Party. She said Saturday that embracing new technology wouldn't solve the party's problems. "Republicans using Twitter and Facebook isn't going to miraculously make people think we're cool again. Breaking free from obsolete positions and providing real solutions that don't divide our nation further will," she said. "That's why some in our party are scared. They sense the world around them is changing, and they are unable to take the risk to jump free of what's keeping our party down."

On Monday, McCain wrote an opinion piece urging the Republican Party to use more gay-friendly language. "Of all the causes I believe in and speak publicly about, this is one of the ones closest to my heart," she wrote in a blog post on the Daily Beast titled 'Memo to the GOP: Go Gay.' " If the Republican Party has any hope of gaining substantial support from a wider, younger base, we need to get past our anti-gay rhetoric."

McCain's father, former Republican presidential candidate John McCain, does not support same-sex marriage but opposed a constitutional amendment five years ago that would have banned the practice, calling the legislation "un-Republican." Speaking to the Log Cabin Republicans Friday, former Bush and McCain senior advisor Steve Schmidt publicly endorsed same-sex marriage.

Filed under: Meghan McCain
  1. Floridian Mom

I'm a liberal and am liking Megan McCain more and more.....and I think she should be the 5th moderator on The View and get rid of Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

Megan McCain is too young to run for president but she can be a refreshing voice for the Republican party, instead of Limbaugh, Coulter, Palin nasty, stupid, name-calling, aggressive types.

just my 2 cents worth..........

April 19, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  2. Sid in Wisconsin

This is the only republican I can respect, it is the social issue that is making the republican look bad.

She is more moderate than most in the party, but I can see anyone being gay and republican.

April 19, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  3. Fani from NJ

Meghan McCain is a smart woman than those other GOP buffoons.
    Unfortunately for her, her progressive views will be repressed by the GOP and its constituents will become even more conservative.
    But good news is those old folks will give way to the younger folks who will be more balanced.
    Sadly Meghan is a part of the GOP, she would be a good fit for Democratic party.

April 19, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  4. JIm

I am a libertarian.. and I love her comments. If the Repubs go in this direction..they will have my support...that is if Obama does not destroy this country in the next few years. He has already destroyed future generation's wealth.

April 19, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  5. FreeNLovIt

As a Christian, I answer to God and not to the desires of men. So I am against same-sex marriages, but if need be, I will respect their desires to spiritually commit forbidden sins of the flesh. Now, if America decides to give gays their rights for marriage, how are we going to control AIDS? Gay men, according to statistics from CDC, have the highest rate of getting and dying from AIDS. If left unchecked, America may have an AIDS epidemic, rivaling that of Africa. What will the gay community do to be responsible citizens and NOT spread AIDS? I want an ANSWER. As responsible citizens, what are you going to do?

April 19, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  6. Ellen

just my 2 cents worth..........

April 19, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  7. Peter

The overwhelmed beast dies hard. But, it must do so in order to be resurrected with a new soul.

I like this girl a lot; she's got her dad's passion and the vision necessary for the Nation's and the GOP's regeneration.

Step aside, Old Order. It's time for the New Order to take charge, now.

This from a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat who has been saddened to see the recent pitiful last throes of the succumbing beast.

So, when does Lynn Cheney join in?

April 19, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  8. barbaracampbell

Tell me again why you're a Republican, Ms. McCain?? Or are the neocons creating an image for you – moderate maverick (sound familiar?) – so that you have a future in politics?

April 19, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  9. FreeNLovIt

To All

As a reminder, the religious rights' stands on same-sex religion is exactly like those of the majority of the Hispanic, Asian and African Americans. The religious rights are correct. It's not a right thing or a left thing. It is a moral issue for all races and they understand its importance in structuring and stabilizing society.

April 19, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  10. Shawn

Go Socialism! Yeah...

April 19, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  11. AC

I'm all for a two-party syste, but when 1 party puts the best interests of it's party and shows a sore-loser attitude much like the republicans have been doing..something is fundamentally wrong.

Now, people can vote and act as they please..I feel being limited to a party is not the right move..this is my opinion obviously....I voted for Bush in 04 & Obama in 08...i may go republican again in '12 but honestly...to say I'm dissapointed in that party is an understatement..

I sense big trouble down the line unfortunetly.

April 19, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  12. Craig

Congratulations republican party. You finally have a winner!

April 19, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  13. Gene from NC

Beauty and brains make her an eloquent spokeswoman for any party. Keep talking girl, we love it.

April 19, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  14. Sam I Am

In the past decade the Republican Party has swung so far to the right, that it's hilarious to see someone with Meghan's pragmatism and clear thinking called such terrible names on this and other blogs. Meghan is EXACTLY what the Republican Party needs right now. Youth. Educated, clear, pragmatic thinking. The ability to verbalize her thoughts in clearn and concise ways. THe rule of the vermin Bush uncovered and used to keep himself in office is over. At least it should be, if the Republican Party expects to survive.

April 19, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  15. Mike from Shelburne, VT

AZjay April 19th, 2009 3:59 am ET

Ask an REAL Republican and they'll tell you the same thing I've written here.

Because they're so stuck in their old ideals and traditions. Face it, she's right. Support for Republicans seems to be middle age and over, you won't find many kids and teenagers who still support Republicans since their policy's and ideas don't appeal to us. Its the age of globalization, things have to change if we want to keep up, and the Republican party seems to want to keep everything the same. Progress doesn't come from being stagnant.

April 19, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  16. Margot

I've been browsing on-line more than three hours lately, but I by no means discovered any interesting article like yours. It is beautiful price sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you did, the web shall be a lot more helpful than ever before.

July 27, 2013 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |