April 20th, 2009

Meghan McCain: Karl Rove's a 'twitter creep'

Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.
Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.

(CNN) – Meghan McCain loves Twitter - except for the "creepy people." Like Karl Rove.

In a blog post for the Daily Beast published Monday, McCain says the social networking site has been a "liberating" experience for her - if only her dispatches weren't being read by the former Bush advisor.

"Karl Rove follows me on Twitter. That's creepy," she said. "I joined Twitter a few months ago; so far, it has been a liberating way to transition from political to personal blogging. It's allowed me to share the less serious aspects and humorously uncensored moments of my life. But there's also been a downside: I am now being followed by Karl Rove, and my local sheriff, and God knows how many other political pundits. We need to take Twitter back from the creepy people."

Later, she wrote: "I can't shake the fact that Karl Rove is following me-it can be creepy. So watch out."

The daughter of former Republican presidential candidate John McCain also said she finds Rove's Tweets "boring," and speculated that he had a "ghost Twitterer" or an assistant posting his thoughts.

"On the surface, Karl Rove's Twitter feed intrigues me," she said. Here's a guy who for years has been perceived as some kind of inaccessible man-behind-the-curtain figure. And now he Tweets numerous times a day. I've never met him in person, which only makes our Twitter relationship even weirder. And to be honest, I find Rove's Tweets boring. Sometimes he takes questions; other times he talks about his appearances on cable news and other shows. But he doesn't say anything substantive."

She said that Rove's Tweets "seem to reveal a softer side to him" - but drew her skepticism.

"Call it savvy marketing, but I find it disingenuous," she said. "And it's a bit weird to think his people-not even Rove himself-are following me."

Filed under: Karl Rove • Meghan McCain
  1. Monrob

Come to our side Meghan!!!!

April 20, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  2. Michael in Houston, Texas

My head hurts after reading this. Thanks CNN, I think I will go take some aspirin now.

April 20, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  3. jrzshor

please help me

why is this twit important?

April 20, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  4. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Karl Rove is trying to get some political talking points from Meghan McCain. I guess he's beginning to realize that his divide and conquer politics don't work anymore.

April 20, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  5. Robin in SC

I'm liking this girl more and more...

April 20, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  6. Robin

Good God! Stop stalking the poor girl!

April 20, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  7. Dean

What Karl Rove stalking now? Indeed he is a creep

April 20, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  8. Melissa

Sometimes this girl is a little weird.

April 20, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  9. Dave

I think Meghan McCain is about to come out – of the Republican closet that is. She wants to be a Democrat so bad but daddy would be SO mad!!

April 20, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  10. Expat American

Meghan McCain should tread lightly when bringing up the name of Minister Rove-Goebbels. Look what he did to her father.

April 20, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  11. Jeff W.

I'm a democrat but I like this woman!

April 20, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  12. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

Rove is also creepy twit.... why isn't he in prison?

April 20, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  13. obama/mama

I like Meghan but this is a bit much

April 20, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  14. SHIRLEY "60"

The more hear from this young woman, the more I like her. Repubs should be getting her ready to run in 8 years – she might give a democrat a run for their money if taught properly. Failin Palin is not the female to win, she is too one-dimensional and really doesn't possess many qualities that would appeal to what has now become a bigger, broader voting public.

April 20, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  15. SJ Johnson

We can certainly understand. A majority of americans have been creeped out by this Creep for years. Why? Because he is a Creep!
    I've gained alot of respect for Ms. McCain in recent weeks. Keep up the good work. Rove should be treated like any other stalker.

April 20, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  16. Pete

Meghan McCain seems to be one of the few intelligent, common-sense, honest Republicans aeound these days. The rest are just super-partisan talking sheep.

April 20, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  17. J.Crobuzon

I always knew Rove was a stalker.

April 20, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  18. Angela

Rove is just creepy in general. I am so sick and tired of all of the negative talk coming from Republicans. Why can't they work to find common grounds for the greater good of this country and stop spinning everything that Obama and his administration does? There is probably no perfect solution but dang gone it...come up with solutions rather than complain and whin about everything.

April 20, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  19. Al-NY,NY

He's completely creepy in every sense of the word. Go away Karl

April 20, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  20. President Obama could walk on water and the Party of NO would still complain that he left footprints!

Rove is indeed a "twit" and a "creep" so I agree he is a twitter creep!

April 20, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  21. NC_Twitter

He does look much like a "toe tapper" doesn't he! That would creep me out too ...

April 20, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  22. Voice uv reesun

Meghan rocks!! The Repubs are actually fortunate to have on their side someone a)younger than Methuselah, b)sane, and c)capable of seeing her party's flaws.

April 20, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  23. Irma in North Carolina

I think they should get him for stalking. He should go up to Alaska and join Sarah. Lets hope he takes Rush, Ingram Coulter and Newt along with them and that they all stay up there.

April 20, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  24. td

There may be hope for Mehgan after all.

April 20, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  25. Fitz in Texas

Monrob (12:03) "Come to our side Meghan!!!!!!!

Yes Meghan please go to their side. Their village is missing their idiot.

April 20, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |