April 20th, 2009

Meghan McCain: Karl Rove's a 'twitter creep'

Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.
Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.

(CNN) – Meghan McCain loves Twitter - except for the "creepy people." Like Karl Rove.

In a blog post for the Daily Beast published Monday, McCain says the social networking site has been a "liberating" experience for her - if only her dispatches weren't being read by the former Bush advisor.

"Karl Rove follows me on Twitter. That's creepy," she said. "I joined Twitter a few months ago; so far, it has been a liberating way to transition from political to personal blogging. It's allowed me to share the less serious aspects and humorously uncensored moments of my life. But there's also been a downside: I am now being followed by Karl Rove, and my local sheriff, and God knows how many other political pundits. We need to take Twitter back from the creepy people."

Later, she wrote: "I can't shake the fact that Karl Rove is following me-it can be creepy. So watch out."

The daughter of former Republican presidential candidate John McCain also said she finds Rove's Tweets "boring," and speculated that he had a "ghost Twitterer" or an assistant posting his thoughts.

"On the surface, Karl Rove's Twitter feed intrigues me," she said. Here's a guy who for years has been perceived as some kind of inaccessible man-behind-the-curtain figure. And now he Tweets numerous times a day. I've never met him in person, which only makes our Twitter relationship even weirder. And to be honest, I find Rove's Tweets boring. Sometimes he takes questions; other times he talks about his appearances on cable news and other shows. But he doesn't say anything substantive."

She said that Rove's Tweets "seem to reveal a softer side to him" - but drew her skepticism.

"Call it savvy marketing, but I find it disingenuous," she said. "And it's a bit weird to think his people-not even Rove himself-are following me."

Filed under: Karl Rove • Meghan McCain
  1. Erik

This is not news!

April 20, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  2. living in Aubrey

Isn't Megan just Paris Hilton dressed as a republican

April 20, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  3. Ron

She's also following him so she herself is creepy. If you're on Twitter and you don't know how to set your privacy settings then don't complain. Anyone who is interested in reading her Tweets will do so, but does that mean that all readers are creeps? I say just get over it. Let's not play the 'older guy following a younger girl' card. It's only Twitter. geez!

April 20, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  4. Sherri

I am getting tired of hearing from the biased and loudmouthed Meghan McCain spouting criticisms of people that she apparently knows nothing solid about. If you can't say something with some value, like your well-respected father, then get off the twitter and the internet. You are obviously trying to be a "personality" without any basis and saying things that will just garner attention. Possibly you want to get elected someday, but this youthful, nonsensical banner is just going to follow you around. Stop and think before you call people names.

April 20, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  5. Chaz

And liberalism is what allowed idiots like Meghan McCain and Sarah Palin to show the whole world what rocket scientists they are. Get back in the kitchen and make me some dinner!

April 20, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  6. dra

How proud her Daddy & Mommy must be of their precious daughter who is dying for any king of attention she can get from who ever. How sad, someone who comes from money would mock her own parent's political beliefs & friends. It sad what money will do to you – make you mindless and willing to sell your self for fame & fortune.

April 20, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  7. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

The image that comes to mind is the "Crept Keeper "from the old TV program...

April 20, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  8. yuri

Quite a combo, hey! Meghan is an unbelieavable epitomy of beauty brusqueness, boldness, brilliance, and brains. Blunt as she is, Meghan has bravely beaten back the neocons as RL, AC, and LI, and now she is barin' the brutally blunt bully- Rove. We can't stop beholdin' you with basic sense of reverence, Meghan. You go girl!

April 20, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  9. cSalata

Meghan is a good old fashioned Republican-following beliefs prior to the Evangelical hijacking of the party during the Reagan years. It appears to me that she is fiscally conservitive but does not agree with government involvement in the bedroom, marriage , sexual orientation etc. What happened to the smaller government? What happened to responsible birth control? Barry Goldwater's wife started Planned Parenthood in AZ. Isn't he the father of the modern Conservative movement?
    There is no room for religion in government. It should be a private issue.

April 20, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  10. Beverly in NC

I find most Republicans to be "creepy" as well as negative, intolerant, critical of every positive step for our nation, fear-mongers, and this Congress of Republicans are also do-nothings and grandstanders.

They have no ideas, not one positive message on anything, and every day we hear who they hate today or who did something they didn't like, and who is destroying our nation.

I think the Republican Party needs to take a look in the mirror if they want to see who is WRONG, DANGEROUS to America, and is FAILING and making fools of themselves on a daily basis.

Americans no longer trust anything the Republican Party says or does. They have bet their Party's future on America failing and they have lost that bet HUGE. America is recovering. President Obama is brilliantly succeeding on both domestic and foreign issues. We the People love him, trust him, and are thrilled to have intelligent leadership in the White House. We are also thrilled to have criminal acts exposed by the Cheney/Bush henchmen. Bullying and torture are NOT American values.

The Party of NO-NO-NO is going to hear from all of us in 2010 as we vote NO-NO-NO for all Republican up for reelection.

April 20, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  11. jrbace

Wouldn't you only get his posts if he was following you? And I believe you can block him. Not that I like Karl Rove, but if you don't want him to follow you, block him. And if you don't want to read his posts, don't. There is still choice.

April 20, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  12. Ted

Rove is a traitor AND creepy. Viva the new McCain!

April 20, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  13. Michael-TX

Check your front door Meghan, that FOX Noise stalker maybe nearby also, probably put there by the Grand Imperial Perv himself, BILLO !!!!!!

April 20, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  14. Sammy

My big laugh of the day. Kinda funny how the more popular Mehgan becomes the more the hard core right gets upset about it. She is no powerhouse nor is she a political heavyweight. But her message is a popular one... and it happens to go against a republican establishment that party members should do away with as part of a bygone era.

April 20, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  15. Meh

I'm sure she's a nice girl and everything, but I think it's funny when people claim that she's "smart"....she thinks Schlock is the next up and comer in the GOP b/c of his ABS. I mean, come on.

And, yes, Karl Rove is totally creepy.

April 20, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  16. tess

talk about creepy – thats megan! now i know for sure that her dad never was the one who should have been the republican nominee – he is as creepy as she is and for the life of me i can't decide where he stands on almost all issues! it seems like he wants to poke his finger in republicans eyes but can't bring himself to "come out" as a democrat?!? just exactly who and what is he (and talk about not quite knowing her idenity?)

April 20, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  17. David

PERFECT description of Mr. Rove!

April 20, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  18. Jay

this girl is definitely shaking up the repuglicans and that will be hopefully for good.

April 20, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  19. 1984

Get used to it. Obama's big brother government will soon be watching all of us.

April 20, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  20. Donna

Megan...step over from the Dark Side!! Hurry!!

April 20, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  21. Scott

all you people that continue to trash Rove and others and creepy and evil should be careful about your own glass house...Carville, Begala, etc are Liberal clones of Rove and company. They all do political dirty work and are good at what they do. Just because they support your "ideology" doesn't make them any less contemptible.

April 20, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  22. Mary Rose

Why is what Meghan McCain says all of a sudden so important to the media. Is she a national figure? Oh, I guess it is because she is bashing the Republican party and that makes the media extremely happy. Especially CNN. It is very disappointing journalism. That is why FOXNews has consistently been beating CNN, MSNBC and all other cable news networks in the ratings.

Media please go back to objective reporting.

April 20, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  23. Agrippa

*Again* Meghan McCain displays more sense and leadership than 99% of the "people" in the Republican Party, even in silly Twitter posts. She should have stuck the old man into a nursing home and run for President herself.

April 20, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  24. SeeKar

These responses are like the writings of a bunch of middle-school punks piling onto the unpopular kid in school. Grow up, people.

April 20, 2009 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  25. lala

I like her and even though I'm a democrat I like how she thinks. The thing with Twiter though is All she has to do is "remove" him, very simple just a click and he's done, sounds to me like she must like it after all.

April 20, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |