April 20th, 2009

Meghan McCain: Karl Rove's a 'twitter creep'

Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.
Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.

(CNN) – Meghan McCain loves Twitter - except for the "creepy people." Like Karl Rove.

In a blog post for the Daily Beast published Monday, McCain says the social networking site has been a "liberating" experience for her - if only her dispatches weren't being read by the former Bush advisor.

"Karl Rove follows me on Twitter. That's creepy," she said. "I joined Twitter a few months ago; so far, it has been a liberating way to transition from political to personal blogging. It's allowed me to share the less serious aspects and humorously uncensored moments of my life. But there's also been a downside: I am now being followed by Karl Rove, and my local sheriff, and God knows how many other political pundits. We need to take Twitter back from the creepy people."

Later, she wrote: "I can't shake the fact that Karl Rove is following me-it can be creepy. So watch out."

The daughter of former Republican presidential candidate John McCain also said she finds Rove's Tweets "boring," and speculated that he had a "ghost Twitterer" or an assistant posting his thoughts.

"On the surface, Karl Rove's Twitter feed intrigues me," she said. Here's a guy who for years has been perceived as some kind of inaccessible man-behind-the-curtain figure. And now he Tweets numerous times a day. I've never met him in person, which only makes our Twitter relationship even weirder. And to be honest, I find Rove's Tweets boring. Sometimes he takes questions; other times he talks about his appearances on cable news and other shows. But he doesn't say anything substantive."

She said that Rove's Tweets "seem to reveal a softer side to him" - but drew her skepticism.

"Call it savvy marketing, but I find it disingenuous," she said. "And it's a bit weird to think his people-not even Rove himself-are following me."

Filed under: Karl Rove • Meghan McCain
  1. Rush

A breath of fresh air. Maybe there is still hope for the GOP.

April 20, 2009 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  2. Peggy - TX

Magen is not running for high office like the Vice Presidency of the United States, so she does not deserve the critisim be leveled at her. She is not pretending to be something she is not and she does not seem to be anyones puppet so I respected her. The Republicans that are calling her a Democrate are upset because she is not repeating the Republican talking points of the day.

I am not clear what it is to be a Republican today. Sure you have the loud month radio talk show folks and the angry Radicalized right followers, but they are both just fringe groups angry about everything and for nothing tangible except maybe increased Government control over all women’s bodies.

April 20, 2009 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  3. Steve, Columbia SC

Is that what a left-wing extreme elitist calls someone with a strong conservative opinion – creepy? Makes sense.

April 20, 2009 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  4. Jules

So, who "twittered" who first, Meghan McCain or Karl Rove? It doesn't seem too "creepy" to me for a couple of Republicans who have been in the White House spotlight to keep tabs on each other, especially if those comings and goings are made public. I think Meghan is a young woman who likes to add DRAMA to her Twittering. "Like, OMG, I'm being STALKED by a dirty old man!"

April 20, 2009 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  5. matt

meghan your dumb go to Obama side where they chat and are friends with enemies to the US like Chevez

April 20, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  6. Maggie

You are a creepy person on some of your views. Perhaps it takes a creepy person to know one. Are you sure you are a Republican? You do not sound like you have America's best interest at heart like you Dad does.

April 20, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  7. LL

Meghan McCain is fine but I do not understand why CNN is obsessed with making her every word headline news. This is not real news, people! Get over it!

April 20, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  8. President Obama Brings It!

Fire MIchael Steele and hire that girl in his place! Twits and Tweets, good for the GOP..... Luvs it! LMAO!

April 20, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  9. Jim

SHIRLEY "60"
    she is 24 years old, I am no mathematician but if you add 8 I think it is only 32 and last I checked you need to be 35 years old to be president of the United States.

April 20, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  10. David Newport, OR

Can't speek out AGAINST the GOP pundits...you will be found on a park bench, naked with a bullet in your head and you holding the gun. Only problem...if you are left-handed...why are you holding the gun in your right hand?

April 20, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  11. Robert S.

It is not easy to block a disease like Karl Rove, they use aliases and he has access to many addresses. He should be put in a museum so we never forget how disgusting creeps act when allowed into government by gullible voters.
    Megan McCain is the future. As for her being a Republican, that party should return to limited government (not limited enforcement of regulations that protect citizens from abusive corporate hoodlums), personal freedom ( not freedom from dissenting opinions), and personal accountability (as opposed to faith based handout programs to benefit megachurches). And while they're at it, throw Karl Rove under a bus!

April 20, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  12. Jeff of Peoria

Call him what you will but he got "W" elected not once but twice. CREEPY but successful. A Successful creep.

But then the Demo's did put up Gore and Kerry. I could have beat them.

April 20, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  13. Lolbama

Funny that CNN carries this shlock, paparazzi-like 'story'. Anything to paint reps negatively and dems positively. This will hang around for a day or two as usual while the stories painting dems negatively and reps positively come and go in minutes. The quick surveys follow the same basic rules. It seems that CNN is nothing more than the National Enquirer and shilling for the dems at the same time.

April 20, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  14. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Now that we all know that Karl Rove is a "twitt,"--nothing else to be said.

April 20, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  15. jjr

She is truly a bizarre individual, so even though she publically twittering, she only wants certain people to read it. I also find it hard to believe that people actually care what she thinks, her education background is a degree in Art History.

April 20, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  16. Mark

Who is Meghan McCain? What has she achieved: zip, zero, zilch. Her only claim to fame is being the daughter of the weakest Republican presidential candidate in half a century.

Maybe she should shut up.

April 20, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  17. Dave in Illinois

CNN posts stories about this airhead so often they ought to hire her as a "journalist". She wouldn't be much worse than some of the ones they already have.

April 20, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  18. Skip - michigan

Meghan: I'll bet your father is embarrassed by you. Then again, maybe he's not since he never had a conservative thought of his own. You are a disgusting, spoiled brat. Get over to the left and joined the crowd, honey. I hardly doubt Karl Rove has time to follow a fat, ignorant teenager on Twitter.

April 20, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  19. Ken Allison

What a shocker! Rove is creepy. Who would have guessed?

April 20, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  20. juggadore

is this really necessary? kinda classless. just block him. no need to make a fuss...

April 20, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  21. Karen Tinker

Meghan is an amazing young woman. Bravo – for her courage!!! I wonder where she gets it . . . hmmmm? I supported her dad in 2000 but just could not do it this time around.

April 20, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  22. paul

I met Karl briefly once as part of my job. He was a jerk. World class jerk. Even Darth Cheney was more charming than Karl. Dick was at least polite to the people around him who were doing their jobs, but Karl couldn't lower himself to speak to any of the "little people".

April 20, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  23. harold

Actually, Meghah McCain is the creepy one as far as I'm concerned. She can't stop putting herself forward for some reason and she seems to think she is the "self-appointed" spokeswoman for the Republican Party now. Who in the heck is she other than John McCain's daughter and where did she come from? What experience does she have? What education does she have? I think she's doing more harm than good for the Republican Party and all she seems to be doing is looking for headlines and sell advance copies of her book that she's writing so she won' t have to get a real job!

April 20, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  24. Rob

Karl Rove creepy? Dear Lord YES – I can only imagine what Rove does when he gets an update from the young McCain... Actually – I guess I don't want to imagine that!

April 20, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  25. Pete

So typical of a fraud like Rove. He's probably smitten with the young lady but is too much of a pervert to ever do anything but watch her, member in hand.

April 20, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |