April 20th, 2009

Meghan McCain: Karl Rove's a 'twitter creep'

Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.
Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.

(CNN) – Meghan McCain loves Twitter - except for the "creepy people." Like Karl Rove.

In a blog post for the Daily Beast published Monday, McCain says the social networking site has been a "liberating" experience for her - if only her dispatches weren't being read by the former Bush advisor.

"Karl Rove follows me on Twitter. That's creepy," she said. "I joined Twitter a few months ago; so far, it has been a liberating way to transition from political to personal blogging. It's allowed me to share the less serious aspects and humorously uncensored moments of my life. But there's also been a downside: I am now being followed by Karl Rove, and my local sheriff, and God knows how many other political pundits. We need to take Twitter back from the creepy people."

Later, she wrote: "I can't shake the fact that Karl Rove is following me-it can be creepy. So watch out."

The daughter of former Republican presidential candidate John McCain also said she finds Rove's Tweets "boring," and speculated that he had a "ghost Twitterer" or an assistant posting his thoughts.

"On the surface, Karl Rove's Twitter feed intrigues me," she said. Here's a guy who for years has been perceived as some kind of inaccessible man-behind-the-curtain figure. And now he Tweets numerous times a day. I've never met him in person, which only makes our Twitter relationship even weirder. And to be honest, I find Rove's Tweets boring. Sometimes he takes questions; other times he talks about his appearances on cable news and other shows. But he doesn't say anything substantive."

She said that Rove's Tweets "seem to reveal a softer side to him" - but drew her skepticism.

"Call it savvy marketing, but I find it disingenuous," she said. "And it's a bit weird to think his people-not even Rove himself-are following me."

Filed under: Karl Rove • Meghan McCain
  1. Lonnie Barksdale, JR

McCain seems like a very immature 24-year-old.

April 20, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  2. Jennifer NY

She is certainly a breath of fresh air in a nasty old party that lost its way. I am a former Republican but I don't identify with anything these people stand for – mostly negative, can't do anything, arrogant to the world...NBC had the audacity to put Newt Gingrich on this a.m. who bashed everything Obama is doing as "dangerous"...the only dangerous people are the GOP, right-wingers, conservatives who enrich themselves. They've basically destroyed the middle class under GW Bush, Rove, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Abramoff, Cheney and the rest of the crooks and liars.

April 20, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  3. Mitchell from MS

Yes Please Megan go to the Democraps!

April 20, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  4. Tom Mulroney

Creepy doesn't even begin to describe Karl "SS" Rove.

April 20, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  5. Russ in Johnston, IA

It's all in a name, isn't it? Twice in a day we are now graced with Meghan's blogging prowess. Why? Because her last name is MCCAIN!! It isn't like she is the only person who has mentioned the things she has today about the GOP party and now Carl Rove?!!

April 20, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  6. KMAN

Name one thing about Karl Rove that isn't creepy ... you can't do it. He does have a very unique talent though ... making people's skin crawl!

April 20, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  7. Viewer

Why are so many statements of this young lady worthy of being reported as front page news on CNN and the mainstream media?

If she were saying anything critical of Speaker Pelosi or President Obama, would her statements be given this much prominent coverage?

I doubt CNN will post this comment.

April 20, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  8. Brian

Karl Rove is likely the fattest, ugliest person on the planet.

April 20, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  9. jwn in south carolina

Rove is always creepy.....twitter or not!

April 20, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  10. cary

Who cares what Megan McCain thinks? Why is this even on the ticker? Every time I see her, I don't see much more than another Paris Hilton.

April 20, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  11. Jennifer NY

I have another thing to say. The GOP has caused a nasty divide in this country. I feel the media who play up this nasty, negative stuff (like those misguided "tea Parties") are causing a dangerous atmosphere in this country. It seems to be Obama-bashing, all the time. At least the man is trying to turn our country back to the noble causes it once stood for, and he has brains!!

April 20, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  12. muzimbo

I think Meghan McCain is exposing the emperor and it cannot handle the truth – it scares the GOP!

The GOP should stop preaching to themselves and instead listen to the likes of Ms McCain, take a hard look at the party, the nation, the facts, and craft a 21st century party strategy or GOP will be relegated to a regional party. The nation cannot afford a one party rule, we need the 21st century republicants!

I like Ms McCain's candor.

April 20, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  13. RH

Ugh. Stop with all of the Meghan McCain. I'd rather hear about Sarah Palin. Hell, I'd rather hear about a bot fly infestation.

April 20, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  14. bc

Why don't you conservatives who seem to hate Ms. McCain so much go off and start your own 3rd party and leave the GOP to decent people. You would not be missed.

April 20, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  15. xTXnCA

I really like this young woman – a refreshing face in a sea of boredom and hipocracy called the Republican party. Her predictions of a war within the party is spot-on and I hope we see more of her, sooner the better. I am a fiscal conservative but social moderate and fully in the Democratic camp because I reject the hate-mongering displayed by the leaders in the Republican party. Meghan can change that – kudoos to her father for raising a child with a mind of her own.

April 20, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  16. barbara

I, for one, do not care about this young ladies political thoughts. She has an anger built up from times gone by. she needs to get over it and start doing something that matters in life.

April 20, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  17. Carey Judas

How is it that everything Meghan McCain says comes into the Ticker? Why should anyone care? She is a spoiled brat know-nothing.

April 20, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  18. Bob in Pa

Meghan McCain is nothing more than a Seantor's daughter. Why all the sudden does everyone suddenly care about what she thinks?

Above and beyond that, why is Twitter even relevant ?

April 20, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  19. Wendy

I didn't like Meghan McCain! I did not trust her and didn't understand her motive. But, if she thinks Karl Rove is creepy, I think she may be a ligitimate fresh voice for the Republicans.

April 20, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  20. Mickey

Good grief! Assuming that Rove would be following anyone, which is not likely, why would he be following this girl? She seems to have a really inflated ego.

April 20, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  21. Dave B.

There is plenty of room for criticism of Karl Rove without resorting to juvenile name-calling that does nothing to improve the discourse between the parties. I think this young woman is doing herself a disservice.

April 20, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  22. Christopher

She should be more mindful not to disrespect the power players of her own party. If she were not a prominent spokesperson for young republicans then Rove wouldn't give her the time of day, its not like she is an unknown teenager with a middle-aged stalker. Karl Rove's job has been to strategize politics so naturally he is going to follow the blogs. There is little to gain for her to lodge a rude personal insult on someone interested in her only professionally.

April 20, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  23. Dieter Zerressen, Denver, CO

Notice those who disagree on here attack her instead of confronting the question, "is Karl Rove creepy". That's the Republican message on everything – attack. No message, no policy, no facts, just attack. Call Obama a socialist when you don't have anything else.
    Of course Karl Rove is creepy – it's sad it took her this long to figure this out and now after 8 years of creepiness the damage has been done. Better late than never, I guess.

April 20, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  24. John from New Jersey

Meghan: You certainly have Karl Rove pegged. It's a shame George W.
    didn't.

April 20, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  25. djdjdjs

She is literally the only republican I like.

Come over to the light Meghan, please become a democrat.

April 20, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |