April 20th, 2009

Meghan McCain: Karl Rove's a 'twitter creep'

Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.
Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.

(CNN) – Meghan McCain loves Twitter - except for the "creepy people." Like Karl Rove.

In a blog post for the Daily Beast published Monday, McCain says the social networking site has been a "liberating" experience for her - if only her dispatches weren't being read by the former Bush advisor.

"Karl Rove follows me on Twitter. That's creepy," she said. "I joined Twitter a few months ago; so far, it has been a liberating way to transition from political to personal blogging. It's allowed me to share the less serious aspects and humorously uncensored moments of my life. But there's also been a downside: I am now being followed by Karl Rove, and my local sheriff, and God knows how many other political pundits. We need to take Twitter back from the creepy people."

Later, she wrote: "I can't shake the fact that Karl Rove is following me-it can be creepy. So watch out."

The daughter of former Republican presidential candidate John McCain also said she finds Rove's Tweets "boring," and speculated that he had a "ghost Twitterer" or an assistant posting his thoughts.

"On the surface, Karl Rove's Twitter feed intrigues me," she said. Here's a guy who for years has been perceived as some kind of inaccessible man-behind-the-curtain figure. And now he Tweets numerous times a day. I've never met him in person, which only makes our Twitter relationship even weirder. And to be honest, I find Rove's Tweets boring. Sometimes he takes questions; other times he talks about his appearances on cable news and other shows. But he doesn't say anything substantive."

She said that Rove's Tweets "seem to reveal a softer side to him" - but drew her skepticism.

"Call it savvy marketing, but I find it disingenuous," she said. "And it's a bit weird to think his people-not even Rove himself-are following me."

Filed under: Karl Rove • Meghan McCain
  1. kaard

Hey cool, now Meghan can join the exclusive club of Republicans that get to Dems will use to make their points. Thabks for playing into them sweety.

April 20, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  2. Diana NJ

GOP, wise up and start following this smart girls lead..

April 20, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  3. gary gpp

I knew there was something I really like about this lady !

April 20, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  4. Mickey, New York

Republicans Are Creepy.

April 20, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  5. Fair is Fair

She's beginnig to embarrass herself. I hope daddy cuts you out of your trust fund, you twit.

April 20, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  6. KC

Well if you put yourself out there pumpkin then you are going to be open to whatever floats around. Grow up already - poor little rich girl.

April 20, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  7. Baze

typical cool girl ugly guy fiasco

April 20, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  8. Venia PA

He's following you on Twitter cause you sound too much like a Democrat (your making sense) and he can't stand it and your making them (the rethugs) look worse off than they already look.

April 20, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  9. Too True For You

Well, Rove IS creepy, but It is disingenuous to feign discomfort over the fact that creepy old men are tracking you. I agree, but what did you expect? Rove is the ultimate right wing attack-master, so he will mine your every utterance for something he can construe to score conservative points with. It's how he operates.

April 20, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  10. paula Wesley

Meghan, you are a Democrat at heart. Come on over, or just be an Indepedent.

April 20, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  11. Steve. NC

Go, girl ! I totally agree with your assessment of Karl Rove.

April 20, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  12. geecee

Karl Rove could creep anybody out! Meghan, I'm a devoted Dem, but I like you! The Repuglicans needs some good people. They should be very glad they have you for the moment, anyway.

April 20, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  13. Fredi

look at the pictures – who looks like a "Creep"?

April 20, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  14. GK

The more I hear from Meghan McCain, the more I like her – she's one republican that has her head on straight. Keep it up, Meghan. You are WONDERFUL!

April 20, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  15. Tracy K

She really needs to just admit she is a democrat and be done with it. But saying she is republican and then dogging the party every chance she gets, gets her so much more attention doesn't it??????

April 20, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  16. tere

Does Ms McCain not realize that you can very easily block anyone you want to block from following you, ie, said sheriff and rove?

April 20, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  17. Dave

Well that's what you open yourself up to so that's your choice, Meghan. maybe some people think you're a creep. I know I do and hope your 15 minutes evaporate soon. And I'm not even GOP!!!

April 20, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  18. David Henry

Seems like a likeable lass, just a bit of a half-wit. Noone cares what she says or thinks (if she thinks). If her name were Smith or Jones, she'd be a waitress at Denny's.

April 20, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  19. Greg

That's funny...I find her "creepy."

April 20, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  20. Kate

Meghan, thank you for a good laugh. Finally, you've said out loud what many of us have been thinking for a long, long time.

April 20, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  21. Shirley In California

She's back! I am so sick of her and her opinions.

April 20, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  22. Brian

McCain's daughter is creepy!! She has some crazy ideas!

April 20, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  23. Diane

Well duh! He has to know what is going on in order to try to manipulate it. I guess Meghan is important on some level. Voice of her generation maybe.

April 20, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  24. wakeupamerica

Rove = disingenous creep! I love it :-) Meghan I think you're truly a Democrat in Republican clothing. It's time for you to come out.

April 20, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  25. Colleen

Megan, please take your ball and go home. You're no republican, and I wish you'd stop trying to pretend you represent the "new younger republicans". I'm a young republican, and I believe you are doing more harm than good right now. The left is using you. You are getting your 15 minutes of fame and the left is laughing. Please do us a favor and let the true republicans speak. Perhaps your time would be better spent by doing charity work. Your wonderful mother Cindy will show you the ropes. Thank you.

April 20, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |