April 20th, 2009

Meghan McCain: Karl Rove's a 'twitter creep'

Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.
Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.

(CNN) – Meghan McCain loves Twitter - except for the "creepy people." Like Karl Rove.

In a blog post for the Daily Beast published Monday, McCain says the social networking site has been a "liberating" experience for her - if only her dispatches weren't being read by the former Bush advisor.

"Karl Rove follows me on Twitter. That's creepy," she said. "I joined Twitter a few months ago; so far, it has been a liberating way to transition from political to personal blogging. It's allowed me to share the less serious aspects and humorously uncensored moments of my life. But there's also been a downside: I am now being followed by Karl Rove, and my local sheriff, and God knows how many other political pundits. We need to take Twitter back from the creepy people."

Later, she wrote: "I can't shake the fact that Karl Rove is following me-it can be creepy. So watch out."

The daughter of former Republican presidential candidate John McCain also said she finds Rove's Tweets "boring," and speculated that he had a "ghost Twitterer" or an assistant posting his thoughts.

"On the surface, Karl Rove's Twitter feed intrigues me," she said. Here's a guy who for years has been perceived as some kind of inaccessible man-behind-the-curtain figure. And now he Tweets numerous times a day. I've never met him in person, which only makes our Twitter relationship even weirder. And to be honest, I find Rove's Tweets boring. Sometimes he takes questions; other times he talks about his appearances on cable news and other shows. But he doesn't say anything substantive."

She said that Rove's Tweets "seem to reveal a softer side to him" - but drew her skepticism.

"Call it savvy marketing, but I find it disingenuous," she said. "And it's a bit weird to think his people-not even Rove himself-are following me."

Filed under: Karl Rove • Meghan McCain
  1. Maire

Ms. McCain, if you think Karl Rove is "creepy" you obviously haven't been around enough left-wing nutjobs yet. You need to get out more.

April 20, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  2. nelson

Wow!

I love the drama. This is better than reality TV. We as America need this. Forget the recession, and the bath we are taking financially. Give us dirt. Give us something to complain about.

Meghan the new face of the Republican party? Could be a good thing, but keep throwing trash at us so she gets swept under the rug like anyone trying to do a good thing.

April 20, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  3. michaelam

As a life-long Democrat, I like this girl! Please, jump over to the sane side. Calling Karl Rove "creepy," however, is the understatement of the century. The man is a criminal!

April 20, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  4. Diann Cornell

I find it discusting that Mcaine's daughter would talk about Carl Rove like that....who the heck is she anyhow? She is no one I would want to give me advice!

April 20, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  5. Steve, Chelsea, MI

jrzshor April 20th, 2009 12:04 pm ET
    please help me
    why is this twit important?

Because he gave us 8 years of Bush, that's why he's important.

April 20, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  6. Me

I am a democrat through and through (or so I thought), until I saw Meghan's style. GOP'ers ... Put Palin away and get this girl on the ticket!!!

April 20, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  7. phoenix86

Meghan has learned what most in Hollywood already know. It's easy when they go overseas and bad-mouth the US government. Meghan has learned that its easy to keep in the news (if you call it that) by bad-mouthing Republicans. She keeps to the lowest common denominator of intelligence by staying on the democratic wavelength.

April 20, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  8. Bob the Observer

One's Darth Vader; the other is Britney Spears. Want to guess which is which?

Will there come a day that I don't have to see or hear about either one of them?

I hope so.

April 20, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  9. TJ

So she can follow Rove and that's not creepy, but she wants to label some who follow her creepy. Spoiled brat.

April 20, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  10. RKL-WPB

Rove Sucks – what a creep!!! and yeah, why ISN'T he in prison?

April 20, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  11. Michael J

Let's hope that Republicans, including stalker Karl Rove, don't follow Meghan's smart advice for how to improve that dying political party, so that they will lose the Presidential election again in 2012. Repeat after me: Four More Years. Four More Years.

April 20, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  12. Ryan

Meghan, leave the dark side and join the Democrats

April 20, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  13. John G

She is an outspoken young republican, why is it surprising that other republicans would be interested in what she has to say?

I'll bet anyone a dollar that someone on Obama's staff is also following her blogs.

April 20, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  14. tony

People so eager for attention that they twitter thier life away, should not expect any but twits to crae what they do. CNN is this really important enough to really publish, considering the unrest in the world.

April 20, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  15. Amrie Smith

Mcains daughter is just showing the world how stupid she is what a ninny....get a life girl!

April 20, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  16. Mel of Alexandria

I have always thought that there was something creepy about Karl Rove.
    Can someone be charged for "cyber stalking"? It is about time that Rove faces a judge for something, because he has been up to no good for too long.

April 20, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  17. Repub No More

Here's a Mccain I like! Unfortunately she's not going to be able to drag the neanderthals in the party to the 21st century.

April 20, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  18. Meg

I feel sorry for this girl every time she opens her mouth. She's like a train wreck – I don't want to look, but I'm morbidly fascinated by the complete mess she is.

April 20, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  19. Doc Ray

Who said liberals and conservatives can't agree. I as a liberal completely agree with Meghan that Rove is creepy.

April 20, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  20. Chloë

Karl Rove follows me on twitter. I was creeped out too.

April 20, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  21. Ken in NC

I'm a Democrat from the era of Viet Nam and I respect her father as one of the many heroes that fought for our country. I respect Meghan for speaking her mind even when she knows her father may not agree with her. It is his way of passing to his children their right to be themselves.

Now Meghan has spoken of the coming storm within the Republican Party and I think she is speaking the truth but I hope the "Old White Guys" refuse to adapt as they should. I hope they keep blabber mouths like Gingrich, Palin, Sanford, Limbaugh and others out front blabbing for them.

They will come to learn eventually that they are irrelevant.

April 20, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  22. Truth Hurts

Meghan Mccain is the only one who is down to earth and realistic. She stands up to the Conservatives regardless of backlash. I think she is a undercover Liberal. They basically is saying that the Conservatives are going to have to change their old ways if they want to move ahead as a party!!

April 20, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  23. katiec

When she said watch out, she wasn't kidding. Although Rove is out of power he is still a very dangerous man. Ask the governor that was arrested on trumped up charges "instigated by Rove".
    The fact that the republican party still follow and admire this man
    tells you the level of their substance on integrity, and intelligence.
    The fact that they still continue his swiftboating methods leaves
    doubt to their honor.
    The fact that they will not allow what the American people want
    to be considered or acknowledged proves they do not care about
    the future of our country or us.

April 20, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  24. Deb

I am really liking Meghan McCain. She tells it like it is and good for her. Karl Rove spooks me and that is just flicking past him on the television.

April 20, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  25. Ariana

Meghan,

You're soo beautiful and intelligent....now come join the democratic party!!! we love you!

April 20, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |