April 20th, 2009

Meghan McCain: Karl Rove's a 'twitter creep'

Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.
Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.

(CNN) – Meghan McCain loves Twitter - except for the "creepy people." Like Karl Rove.

In a blog post for the Daily Beast published Monday, McCain says the social networking site has been a "liberating" experience for her - if only her dispatches weren't being read by the former Bush advisor.

"Karl Rove follows me on Twitter. That's creepy," she said. "I joined Twitter a few months ago; so far, it has been a liberating way to transition from political to personal blogging. It's allowed me to share the less serious aspects and humorously uncensored moments of my life. But there's also been a downside: I am now being followed by Karl Rove, and my local sheriff, and God knows how many other political pundits. We need to take Twitter back from the creepy people."

Later, she wrote: "I can't shake the fact that Karl Rove is following me-it can be creepy. So watch out."

The daughter of former Republican presidential candidate John McCain also said she finds Rove's Tweets "boring," and speculated that he had a "ghost Twitterer" or an assistant posting his thoughts.

"On the surface, Karl Rove's Twitter feed intrigues me," she said. Here's a guy who for years has been perceived as some kind of inaccessible man-behind-the-curtain figure. And now he Tweets numerous times a day. I've never met him in person, which only makes our Twitter relationship even weirder. And to be honest, I find Rove's Tweets boring. Sometimes he takes questions; other times he talks about his appearances on cable news and other shows. But he doesn't say anything substantive."

She said that Rove's Tweets "seem to reveal a softer side to him" - but drew her skepticism.

"Call it savvy marketing, but I find it disingenuous," she said. "And it's a bit weird to think his people-not even Rove himself-are following me."

Filed under: Karl Rove • Meghan McCain
  1. j-o-h-n

Meghan,

He's not following you personally, (I'm not sure he even has corporeal presence any more), some minion is collecting your words to twist against you in the future.

April 20, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  2. Kris D., Canada

"Karl Rove's a 'twitter creep'"

Bahahahahahahahaha! That just made my Monday a whole lot better. lmfao.

April 20, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  3. jake

will Karl Rove be allowed to Twitter from jail?

April 20, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  4. Jeff

I have an idea. During the 2012 election we have two elections...one is based on votes from Americans...our traditional election...the one whose results will determine the outcome. the second is based on votes by people of countries other than the U.S. – a world vote (of confidence) if you will. Do the Republicans want to try this? World opinion DOES MATTER for the U.S.

April 20, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  5. James from New York

I agree with "tere". You can easily prevent people from being able to follow you on Twitter. How is this news anyway?

April 20, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  6. Truth Hurts

Karl Roves is a nobody. Meghan has the right to her views and opinions. Karl needs to be arrested along with the rest of the Bush administration!!

April 20, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  7. Chris

Rove has always been a Tweep. She is just figuring this out? BTW, when did the daughter of a loosing candidate become daily news? Who really cares what Meghan or Rove say? Is there no other news to report? Tweet that!

April 20, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  8. Cblue4ever

Mehan McCain is a wolf in sheep's clothing. She is more Democrat than some Democrats are. Whether you like her or not, she does not represent the Republican base. If the Republicans are going to listen to her, then we might as well have a one party system. However, I will give her credit, she has gained attention by expressing her liberal veiws under the Republican banner. If she has any political aspirations, then she will have to swap parties because she'll never gain the voters of the Republican base.

April 20, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  9. jj

What game is she playing? Dont feed into the mess. She is a Rep.,
    I wonder what is her motive> We already know what side she is on.
    She is trying to get the young votes to become Rep., But she has no ideas just like the party of fools.

April 20, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  10. Mike

Rove spying on someone. Is anybody really surprised by that?

April 20, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  11. Jim

Meghan needs to take a break from bashing all Republicans or just join the Liberals, Democrats and Demogagues. She does not respect the history of conservatives which has in the past succeeded with the right message and programs. Right now, there are many Americans from all directions who feel that ALL government has screwed them. Meghan is being used as a puppet by the liberal media to trash the GOP. BOTH parties are at fault for all the problems in this country. If Meghan wants to be a leader, she should propose solutions to everyday American issues and leave it at that. If her ideas are viable, they will take root. Calling Rove "creepy" is just more of the same stuff we are tired of. Look at all the replies...just name calling, no respect for anyone.

April 20, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  12. jumpinugly

She's saying what most young Republicans wish they could. Gotta love this young lady.
    But she best be on-guard. Rove has spent his life humiliating others.

April 20, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  13. RRR

...and Karl Rove is still important HOW?????
    it is funny that Republicans on this blog still like Rove????!?!?!?

April 20, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  14. Michael

Everything about Karl creeps me out. I'm thinking he's like the confedercy's revenge on the rest of the country. Now he's on this project to re-invent himself as something other than "bush's brain" -which I guess doesn't sound all that complimentary at this point.

April 20, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  15. Roxi

Sure, Rove has a lot to be crticized for – but give me a break. Is 'creepy' all she (and other people) can come up with?? That vacant (and overrused) term shows all the analytical skills of a 12 year old.

April 20, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  16. sareta

God I love this girl...she is funny...

April 20, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  17. Mo

She's just now figuring this out???

April 20, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  18. Peter

Count your blessings – you could also be followed by Phil (E.T. Go Home!) Gramm,

April 20, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  19. Bill

You can block people from following you on Twitter. So just block him.

April 20, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  20. Beth

Well duh...Karl Rove IS creepy and dangerous, and most importantly...a criminal.

April 20, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  21. hope

Meghan McCain gives me hope.

April 20, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  22. janieb

Sounds like Meghan will say/do anything to stay in the public eye now that the election is over and she has become irrelevant. Don't burn your bridges, honey. You know what they say about karma. Your dad must be embarrassed that you feel your opinions matter to Americans. Go away, go far, far away.

April 20, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  23. Winston Stanley

I am a parent, and a centrist. I love Meghan's total honesty. She keeps things sane politically. I am certain her parents would agree with me.

Pastor W. B. Stanley

April 20, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  24. Tanya

I love Meghan McCain. She says candidly what may be on the minds of many people. Karl Rove is truly an evil person, much like Cheney. But not many Republicans have been willing to speak out about the damage he's done to this country and to the Republican party.

April 20, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  25. Mike F. Norcal

Hasn't Meghan exceeded her 15 minutes? The more she speaks, the less
    substantive she reveals herself to be. Meghan, what is it about being a Republican you like, admire, believe in? Get past your superficial self-focus
    and you might learn something... you're not a Republican. Maybe since "torture" is now out, your Daddy could get the CIA to force enemy combatants to read your blog.

April 20, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |