April 20th, 2009

Meghan McCain: Karl Rove's a 'twitter creep'

Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.
Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.

(CNN) – Meghan McCain loves Twitter - except for the "creepy people." Like Karl Rove.

In a blog post for the Daily Beast published Monday, McCain says the social networking site has been a "liberating" experience for her - if only her dispatches weren't being read by the former Bush advisor.

"Karl Rove follows me on Twitter. That's creepy," she said. "I joined Twitter a few months ago; so far, it has been a liberating way to transition from political to personal blogging. It's allowed me to share the less serious aspects and humorously uncensored moments of my life. But there's also been a downside: I am now being followed by Karl Rove, and my local sheriff, and God knows how many other political pundits. We need to take Twitter back from the creepy people."

Later, she wrote: "I can't shake the fact that Karl Rove is following me-it can be creepy. So watch out."

The daughter of former Republican presidential candidate John McCain also said she finds Rove's Tweets "boring," and speculated that he had a "ghost Twitterer" or an assistant posting his thoughts.

"On the surface, Karl Rove's Twitter feed intrigues me," she said. Here's a guy who for years has been perceived as some kind of inaccessible man-behind-the-curtain figure. And now he Tweets numerous times a day. I've never met him in person, which only makes our Twitter relationship even weirder. And to be honest, I find Rove's Tweets boring. Sometimes he takes questions; other times he talks about his appearances on cable news and other shows. But he doesn't say anything substantive."

She said that Rove's Tweets "seem to reveal a softer side to him" - but drew her skepticism.

"Call it savvy marketing, but I find it disingenuous," she said. "And it's a bit weird to think his people-not even Rove himself-are following me."

Filed under: Karl Rove • Meghan McCain
  1. PaulP

Meghan McCain, has to be very careful, of the words she uses. She could very well end up like all the other moderates, in the republican party. Pusshed Out, Locked Out, Shouted Out, looking for some form of intelligence in the Grand Old Party. And soon she'll learn, there isn't any.

April 20, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  2. Sherry in SC

Since it is apparent that John McCain cannot control his own little spoiled brat and shut her up, it may be better that he did not win. If he can't control her, how would he control the country. She needs to chill out and just shut up. She makes herself look absolutely stupid and she doesn't do anything for the family. Who knows, maybe the Obama's will adopt her to be a pal to Bo. Democrats – please take her – she's just pathetic.

April 20, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  3. JD

It's 100% guaranteed that if Meghan McCain said anything that sounded like a REAL Republican (not a liberal Republican-in-name-only), the love affair the media has with her would be completely over.

The only reason the media is giving Ms. McCain any ink at all is because she's doing nothing but spouting the liberal, 5th-column Democrat party line.

True GOP members know that Meghan doesn't speak for anyone but her own 15-minutes-of-fame self.

April 20, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  4. Little Miss Sunshine

"Rove 'Creepy', McCain Daughter Says" ...

I think so too, Meghan!

April 20, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  5. MD

Does Ms. McCain ever have anything positive to say or does she just have an empty head that is only capable of saying negative things about Republicans and conservatives. I suspect she may have also made some less that flattering comments about Democrats and liberals but the biased media does not see that as worthy of reporting.

April 20, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  6. Roger

Meghan:

He is beyond creepy. He should be behind bars.

April 20, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  7. Paul

From a Thesaurus
    Main Entry: creepy

Definition: nasty, scary
    Synonyms: awful, direful, disgusting, disturbing, dreadful, eerie, frightening, ghoulish, gruesome, hair-raising, horrible, itching, itchy, macabre, menacing, nightmarish, ominous, shuddersome, sinister, terrifying, threatening, unpleasant, weird

Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus, Third Edition
    Copyright © 2009 by the Philip Lief Group.

April 20, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  8. J, Greer

McCains daughter needs to just come out and say she is a democrat. You cannot say your a republican if yours views are in favor of democratic platforms. This whole notion of appeasing everyone is nonsense. What is wrong with standing strong for conservative issues. Could she have possibly voted for Obama? Sounds like she is a democrat to me. I never hear saying anything positive about conservatism only negative. I would buy a playboy if she was in it.

April 20, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  9. Carole

Meghan you are a smart, diverse and intelligent young lady. Also very beautiful. Karl is a stalker straight up! Kudos for outing this sicko. Personally I thought he would be stalking someone like Cantor which I would imagine would be Karl's preference.

I am saddened that the gop(smaller case here too due to no more respect) feels that they have to treat our President or anyone who does not agree with them with a mission to tear down. Sad.

Join the Democrats or the Independent party Meghan. You are way to modern for the Repubs.

April 20, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  10. B E in TN

I am a long time yellow dog democrat and it is a bit "creepy" that Meghan just might bring the GOP out of the deep, dark hole they have been digging for themselves. So far, I cant find any disagreement with her comments and political philosophies; you go girl!!!, what you are doing is in the best interest of bringing some sanity back to American politics.

April 20, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  11. stevo

So, she is the daughter of a politician, young and cute. But is she really adding anything to the conversation?

Does she ever talk about policies with any sense of understanding? It's scaring to think that her TMZ-style politics may become the norm.

April 20, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  12. Jo in Texas

Too much money, too little brains and trying to get too much attention cause she has too much free time to dabble in other people's freedom of expressions. Get a job Megan. Twitters who tweet too much are a weird breed of lost birds. Please go dem and leave the honest hard working American who are loyal Republicans to deside what their party should stand for. We love babies, Mr & Mrs. and lower taxes. You were never Republican even during the campaign and will never be. So buzz off Miss Twitter.

April 20, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  13. Todd

Miss McCain is the kind of moderate personality the GOP needs to regain its dignity. I just think it's sad that her father's own party is attacking her for being an actual "maverick."

April 20, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  14. Leah Barr

So if she doesn't want him following her, why not just block him? Seems Twitter thought of creeps when they designed this feature.

April 20, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  15. J S Ragman

Meghan is learning that it is unpatriotic (according to some) to criticize the Repubs. It's funny how when a Dem criticizes another Dem it is acceptable but if a Repub criticizes another Repub all hell breaks loose from the right-wing. I guess she just hasn't learned her lesson from our recent Clown President that "you are either with us or against us!" Now that's what I call freedom of speech.

April 20, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  16. Randall Arnold

I'm actually starting to like her after all...

April 20, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  17. RanDe

there's a lot more creepier people out there than Karl Rove for Megan to concern herself with , although her best defense is her endless rhetoric

April 20, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  18. Val in MA

Ms. McCain acts childish – she needs to grow up if she wants people to take her seriously. Grow up Meghan.

April 20, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  19. RickM

Isn't this woman's fifteen minutes of fame just about used up?

She is just a fool that thinks she is popular but is being used by the chattering classes for their amusement.

April 20, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  20. Mike

the more I hear of this girl the more I like her.

April 20, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  21. The Last Patriot

Now she is bashing Karl Rove for using twitter. Well whatever it takes to be accepted by the cool Hollywood crowd, I suppose...

April 20, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  22. chelseafran

You know, this girl is really starting to grow on me! Anybody who Ann C. and Laura I. hate has got to have something going for her.

No wonder the repubs are howling mad and trying like crazy to shut her up and discredit her.

They only want to promote young people who are willing to goosestep off the cliff right along with them. That big sign on the clubhouse door says "Haters Only."

Oh, and to whoever said that daddy should cut her off from the trust fund: I believe that should read be MOMMY'S trust fund!

And I agree that Rove really is one creepy guy.

April 20, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  23. wagon

Meghan – You're overstaying your 15 minutes. If it weren't for your namesake, you would not be relevant.

April 20, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  24. themoi

Last I knew Twitter and all the other internet sites/blogs/user items were up for public use and consumption. When you put yourself out there like that, anybody and everybody can see whar you're doing. I also recall there being a First Amendment. If Karl Rove or anybody else wants to read your Twits (you dumb twit) they can. You can't "ban" the weridos from Twitter or you quash the First Amendment.

She is beginning to sound like Sarah the 2nd. Dumb, foot in mouth to knee, and still talking.

Both of them are a death knell for the GOP.

April 20, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  25. Walter

Again, as others have asked, why is this news? Here is some spoiled brat who wants to be pulled along by her Dad's coat tail. Go out and do something, anything worth while, instead of showing the world who foolish you are.

April 20, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |