April 20th, 2009

Meghan McCain: Karl Rove's a 'twitter creep'

Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.
Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.

(CNN) – Meghan McCain loves Twitter - except for the "creepy people." Like Karl Rove.

In a blog post for the Daily Beast published Monday, McCain says the social networking site has been a "liberating" experience for her - if only her dispatches weren't being read by the former Bush advisor.

"Karl Rove follows me on Twitter. That's creepy," she said. "I joined Twitter a few months ago; so far, it has been a liberating way to transition from political to personal blogging. It's allowed me to share the less serious aspects and humorously uncensored moments of my life. But there's also been a downside: I am now being followed by Karl Rove, and my local sheriff, and God knows how many other political pundits. We need to take Twitter back from the creepy people."

Later, she wrote: "I can't shake the fact that Karl Rove is following me-it can be creepy. So watch out."

The daughter of former Republican presidential candidate John McCain also said she finds Rove's Tweets "boring," and speculated that he had a "ghost Twitterer" or an assistant posting his thoughts.

"On the surface, Karl Rove's Twitter feed intrigues me," she said. Here's a guy who for years has been perceived as some kind of inaccessible man-behind-the-curtain figure. And now he Tweets numerous times a day. I've never met him in person, which only makes our Twitter relationship even weirder. And to be honest, I find Rove's Tweets boring. Sometimes he takes questions; other times he talks about his appearances on cable news and other shows. But he doesn't say anything substantive."

She said that Rove's Tweets "seem to reveal a softer side to him" - but drew her skepticism.

"Call it savvy marketing, but I find it disingenuous," she said. "And it's a bit weird to think his people-not even Rove himself-are following me."

Filed under: Karl Rove • Meghan McCain
  1. vince k

you know what's creepy? people actually caring what these people have to say. now that's creepy. i feel dumber just for reading this article.

April 20, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  2. John, Seattle

Do we really care what she thinks? She probably doesn't 'think' anyway, only regurgitates what she is being spoon-fed by her real allegiance...the far left.

April 20, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  3. marzxyz

Tell it like it is, Meghan. Compared to the Coulters and Ingrahams of this world, you're a breath of fresh air!

April 20, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  4. Jim K

HA Ha Ha! That is great !!!

Rove *IS* a creep. It's just funny to see McCain's daughter saying it, lol.... is this the new "hip" face of the Republican party trying to capture the young voters attention? Maybe they're throwing Karl under the bus as a sacrifice to distance themselves from the old guard....

Just remember, Meghan, your old man is just as much a creep as Rove is....

April 20, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  5. I Am The Not-So-Powerful Wizzard of Rush

"Creepy"? What an understatement.

April 20, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  6. wisocn

Is she creepy for following him? I voted for McCain, but that;s becasuse I didn't like the alternative. I can see she got her convictions from her father. They change with the wind and which ever way seems to be right at the moment.

April 20, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  7. Fred

I agree with others who suggest that Meghan should just move on over to the Democrat side of politics.

April 20, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  8. Roxanne J, SC

I love Meghan McCain. I like her sense of bravado and candor. I am a Democrat but I slide in and out of viewpoints between the two parties. If I were to ever become a Republican, I would agree with her idea of what the party should be. Currently, I do see it as a bunch of old, rich white guys who don't have a clue about what is going on in the 21st century let alone our inner cities and with the younger generation. Good job Meghan for calling a spade a spade.

April 20, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  9. Axl

I love Meghan. She should have ran for office instead of her dad.

April 20, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  10. Gary in O-town

Karl Rove IS creepy! He out-creeps Dick Cheney, and he's really creepy, too.

April 20, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  11. wonderwoman

OK–now I"M following her. Which is scary–me, following a Republican.

April 20, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  12. marcus

so many times, meghan comes across as such a well-adjusted, intelligent, likeable person. then, i remember that she's republican, and i can't figure out how she finds anything palletable in that ideology.

April 20, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  13. Wayne H.

Gee, Karl Rove is...creepy? I heard water's wet and rocks are hard too...

April 20, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  14. dennisk

The Straight Talk Express has a new McCain at the wheel! This young lady is smart, funny and honest (i.e., everything pols like Sarah Palin are NOT).
    I'm a registered Democrat but an independent thinker, and Meghan McCain is exactly the type of "loyal opposition" the current President and Congress need.

April 20, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  15. JonDie

When will Rove be indicted and tried for all the crimes he committed as a member of the Bush administration? That's really the only thing about Karl Rove that interests me.

April 20, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  16. www.DUH.com

Um, Twitter has a "block" feature, so that "creepy" people cannot follow you. If this girl is too dumb to use Twitter, she should stop. And this does not speak volumes about her IQ on other matters.

Though, she's TRYING to do something good here, and be a voice of reason, I'll give her that.

April 20, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  17. di

why is she followed by rove and the sherriff if anything goes wrong with megan we will catch rove and the sherriff for punishment.

April 20, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  18. Pat

Meghan, it's easy to block someone from viewing your updates/posts. If you don't want him to follow you, stop him.

April 20, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  19. Mitch

I wish Megan would just disappear. Rove may be "creepy" to her, but she's a boring and tiresome media hound. What's with CNN's obsession with her anyway? Let me guess....

April 20, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  20. frank

So block him

April 20, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  21. rjd

who really cares what Meghan McCain thinks, I know I don't. Only reason she has any attention paid to her at all is because of her father. She definetly is not the voice of the Republican party.

April 20, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  22. JM

the only reason she is getting so much attention is because she is bashing Republicans. She realizes that this is the only way the left-wing media will pay any attention to her. She has said nothing substantive or anything that isn't obvious to most already.

April 20, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  23. dude

hmmm...from the comments i seem to get the indication that megan mccain is smart..but so is president obama...hmmm...very troubling in my opinion.

April 20, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  24. jill

I got news for Megan, even if he wasn't stalking her , he would still be a creep!

April 20, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |