April 20th, 2009

Meghan McCain: Karl Rove's a 'twitter creep'

Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.
Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.

(CNN) – Meghan McCain loves Twitter - except for the "creepy people." Like Karl Rove.

In a blog post for the Daily Beast published Monday, McCain says the social networking site has been a "liberating" experience for her - if only her dispatches weren't being read by the former Bush advisor.

"Karl Rove follows me on Twitter. That's creepy," she said. "I joined Twitter a few months ago; so far, it has been a liberating way to transition from political to personal blogging. It's allowed me to share the less serious aspects and humorously uncensored moments of my life. But there's also been a downside: I am now being followed by Karl Rove, and my local sheriff, and God knows how many other political pundits. We need to take Twitter back from the creepy people."

Later, she wrote: "I can't shake the fact that Karl Rove is following me-it can be creepy. So watch out."

The daughter of former Republican presidential candidate John McCain also said she finds Rove's Tweets "boring," and speculated that he had a "ghost Twitterer" or an assistant posting his thoughts.

"On the surface, Karl Rove's Twitter feed intrigues me," she said. Here's a guy who for years has been perceived as some kind of inaccessible man-behind-the-curtain figure. And now he Tweets numerous times a day. I've never met him in person, which only makes our Twitter relationship even weirder. And to be honest, I find Rove's Tweets boring. Sometimes he takes questions; other times he talks about his appearances on cable news and other shows. But he doesn't say anything substantive."

She said that Rove's Tweets "seem to reveal a softer side to him" - but drew her skepticism.

"Call it savvy marketing, but I find it disingenuous," she said. "And it's a bit weird to think his people-not even Rove himself-are following me."

Filed under: Karl Rove • Meghan McCain
  1. Brian

I vote Meghan McCain for 2012!!!!!!!!!

Who is with me?

Finally, the generational divide of what made the GOP so ugly in the first place it stepping forward. GOP... Listen to her and you may have a new shot at the top.

April 20, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  2. C.

I am a Democrat and Wow, this girl is speaking the truth! Even though the Truth hurts others in her party. Maybe her fellow party members should listen to her since youth is our future. Very wise young lady. Keep it up Meghan!

April 20, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  3. jim in Bakersfield, CA

is this really newsworthy or just gossip? Let's raise the bar, CNN.

April 20, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  4. faithplusnothing

What's creepy is that everything she says gets reported by CNN. Why don't you try to report some real news. We know you would like to say these things but your too much of a coward so you use this "nobody" just because she calls herself a "republican" and trashes them. Come on, you are turning into MSNBC more every day.

April 20, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  5. Lois

Meghan McCain rocks. If there were more Republican's like her, the world would be a better place.

April 20, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  6. Pioneer

If the Republicans are not following this young lady they are finished as a party.
    There is a poster on this blog that has himself as "The Last Patriot"
    The self proclamation of youR name is what is wrong with the party.
    I am sure you just don't get it.
    Oh Well see you on the Rove Twitter -- NOT--

April 20, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  7. Sam I Am

Meghan is, with any luck, one of the new faces of the Republican Party.
    She's bright, well-educated, can express herself in full-sentences, and obviously has a good sense of humor. I am a former Republican, turned Democrat by the shenanigans of Bush, Rove, and that gang. If more people like Ms. McCain start wrestling the leadership of the party away from the old, tired, wretched pols like Rove, then the party will have a shot at surviving.

Even if Meghan does nothing but make comments about her party, it's incredibly entertaining to see how easily she raises the hackles of the old guard. When was the last time the daughter of a political party member got the party in such an uproar? Oh, yeah, that's right. Bristol did it two weeks ago.

And I agree with Meghan. Rove is VERY creepy. I bet even the local Dungeons and Dragons club in his neighborhood won't let him play.

April 20, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  8. Andi

Well I'm sick of people being sick of anything they don't like on the news. It happens, people. The world does not revolve around you or your interests. If CNN wants to publish an article like this, they will. And Ms McCain can say whatever she wants, just like all of you. Too bad for you that CNN isn't that interested in you, right?

Get over it. Rove is creepy, and I would take Lon Chaney over Dick shoot-em-up Cheney any day.

If you all are sooooo sick of reading about this, here's a bit of advice – STOP READING IT. I don't believe anyone who says they dislike something when they are constantly taking it in. Do you just like to hear yourself complain?

April 20, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  9. Sea.gem

Oh god...why is this relavant?...couldn't you find anyone else bashing Rove...very sad...

April 20, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  10. Danny in Chicago

This is all just PR for twitter. It's all about hyping up the twitter so then the twitter people can start charging you for it.....

April 20, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  11. AC

Now, Meghan McCain is a Republican that I wouldn't mind supporting. I can see her being president some day as long as her views stay mostly the same. I think she is what the Republican Party needs to shake itself up and say "good-bye" to the nea sayers that currently inhabit that party. Keep up the good work Meghan!

April 20, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  12. Tim

No, he is just a creep!!!!

April 20, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  13. Justa thought.

Meghan, you hang right in there. Your one of the very few Republicans with their head in the right place. As long as your square with the public they will be with you. Start the old political (rove/bush) crap and you are outta here. Good luck. I hope you run for your daddys seat come next election because I think daddy is done for... Just keep up that sassy style and you'll do well..

April 20, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  14. Paul in Delaware

Could someone at CNN explain how this qualifies as news? Can't we, perhaps, get past making perjoritive statements and apply some intellectual content to advance political debate in a positive direction?

April 20, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  15. Bryce

Is CNN paying Meghan McCain for all this coverage?

April 20, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  16. Billy

As a democrat, I am relieved to see that the fringe right is rejecting Meghan. Meghan actually might revive the party back to the middle so I'm happy to see that the "28 percenters" will push her away.

April 20, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  17. Jen

And soon to come, the third act of this little melodrama:

Embarassing pictures of Meghan in some compromising situation are "leaked" to the media. Who would do such a thing? Surely not Karl Rove. He'd never stoop that low, would he?

April 20, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  18. Yeah Dude

Captain Obvious to the rescue!

April 20, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  19. sean

Why is this a news story? Is CNN that desperate for news that they publish this type of garbage? C'mon, no wonder the network is slipping in ratings.

April 20, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  20. TCM

Truth be known, she's fabricated the entire thing; in efforts to keep her name and picture splashed on CNN (which, obviously, will print anything – thus the last place rating)

April 20, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  21. Richard L

If the Republicans were smart, they'd encourage Meghan to run for office instead of Palin. Meghan has a much better grasp of reality.

April 20, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  22. Devin

Karl Rove is a GOP political strategist. Meghan McCain has been attacking the true conservatives in the party. It makes sense to me that he's following her. If you don't want to be followed by weird people then get off of myspace and twitter. For goodness sakes. Someone complaining about weirdos following you when you have these accounts is like someone complaining about getting wet while standing out int he rain. I wish Meghan would just get over herself.

April 20, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  23. thought crime

My question is: Why does she matter as a political commentator? I can understand getting her point of view during the election process, but besides that why does the media keep coming back to her? Same goes with the Palin family, why does the media care?

I wish my parents had run for office, then maybe people would listen to my thoughts and opinions.

April 20, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  24. patriot76

Welcome to The Republican Creep Show. They should all be behind bars for their War Crimes.

April 20, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  25. Irene

Meghan, where were you during the election? What a breath of fresh air from the GOP. It's like all the hardliners from your party are oblivious to the fact that Bush, Cheney, Rove, and all of their co-horts are creepy, greedy, power-hungry, jerks who cared nothing for our constitution or for international law. You should have talked your father out of picking Palin. She was the death of him and now that Pandora has been let out of her box, we can't get rid of her. The GOP party has been kyjacked by these fringe elements and they need to get back to small government, (including in matters of religion) and personal choice and responsibility before they start to win elections again. Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck, Tom Delay, Newt Gingrich and all the other blowholes are not helping your cause!

April 20, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |