April 20th, 2009

Meghan McCain: Karl Rove's a 'twitter creep'

Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.
Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.

(CNN) – Meghan McCain loves Twitter - except for the "creepy people." Like Karl Rove.

In a blog post for the Daily Beast published Monday, McCain says the social networking site has been a "liberating" experience for her - if only her dispatches weren't being read by the former Bush advisor.

"Karl Rove follows me on Twitter. That's creepy," she said. "I joined Twitter a few months ago; so far, it has been a liberating way to transition from political to personal blogging. It's allowed me to share the less serious aspects and humorously uncensored moments of my life. But there's also been a downside: I am now being followed by Karl Rove, and my local sheriff, and God knows how many other political pundits. We need to take Twitter back from the creepy people."

Later, she wrote: "I can't shake the fact that Karl Rove is following me-it can be creepy. So watch out."

The daughter of former Republican presidential candidate John McCain also said she finds Rove's Tweets "boring," and speculated that he had a "ghost Twitterer" or an assistant posting his thoughts.

"On the surface, Karl Rove's Twitter feed intrigues me," she said. Here's a guy who for years has been perceived as some kind of inaccessible man-behind-the-curtain figure. And now he Tweets numerous times a day. I've never met him in person, which only makes our Twitter relationship even weirder. And to be honest, I find Rove's Tweets boring. Sometimes he takes questions; other times he talks about his appearances on cable news and other shows. But he doesn't say anything substantive."

She said that Rove's Tweets "seem to reveal a softer side to him" - but drew her skepticism.

"Call it savvy marketing, but I find it disingenuous," she said. "And it's a bit weird to think his people-not even Rove himself-are following me."

Filed under: Karl Rove • Meghan McCain
  1. awaitingliberalizationbyCNN

Hey libs, its a special day. The second anniversary of Harry Reid's "the war is lost" speech. A speech given by a loser to satisfy all of those liberal losers who vote for democrats. Congratulations to Rove and Bush for having the sense and the guts to stick with something rather than be losers.

April 20, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  2. Jack in CA

The only purpose this ticker poster serves is to open Rove up for shots from libs. Nice work.

April 20, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  3. Uncle Jimbo-Chicago

Karl Rove should have been arrested months ago. Where is the Congressional Sergeant at Arms? How long could you or I avoid a subpoena to appear?
    Turd Blossom belongs behind bars, see how he tweets there

April 20, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  4. akapatrick

Ummm. That is the point of twitter, if you want to keep to an inner circle you make the whole thing private in your settings. Why is this news? This is like 90210 or legally blonde meets the White House. Seriously guys, how about some real news.

April 20, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  5. S Callahan

lol...It surprises me that Rove 'has' twitter...

April 20, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  6. Joe in NJ

I find the whole concept of Twitter creepy. Get a life, people.

April 20, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  7. Lauren

I guess Meghan must ENJOY the attention. Because all she has to do is block Rove from her account. Simple as that, but she loves the limelight, and wants to makes a huge story over something so trivial.

If he creeps her out,, block him,,, problem solved. DUH,,,,,,

April 20, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  8. Karen- PROUD OF MY PRESIDENT

Dang Meghan, come on over to the other side. You don't belong with the Republicans... Your ideas are so liberal until I have to question myself if I'm a democrat. We would welcome you with open arms. You are the real maverick.

April 20, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  9. Truth-Bomb Thrower

First it was Mehgan "air-head" McCain then it was the Alaskan dead-beat dad, Levi what's-his-face. It's amazing the low-lifes and nobodies CNN will put on its air and its website just as long as they trash conservatives. They would probably give time and space to Charles Manson if he would just say what they wanted and trashed republicans. CNN, you are starting to make even Oberman on MSNBC look objective and mainstream. Have you ever stopped and wondered why you are where you are in the ratings?

April 20, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  10. Cathy in AZ

I like her more and more every day! He creeps a lot of us out!

April 20, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  11. kevin

Ms. McCain would do well to understand that being a Republican is not hereditary. She rightfully opposes their ridiculous social policies, but embraces the classical fiscal conservatism the party seems to have abandoned.

They actually have a word for this: it's called "Independent", and it's OK to admit to being one.

April 20, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  12. Troy

U r right, Meghan! He is creepy. Whenever the morning shows and CNN have him on as a guest my family and I turn the channel. Its just to mainful to watch and listen to that ... We are not left wing whack jobs. Just normal people. How can we convey to CNN and the morning shows not to have him on as a quest?

April 20, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  13. sue

I love to agree with a Republican. Karl Rove is creepy and a criminal. Meghan keep your personal thoughts personal. Do not broadcast on the world web what you don't want the world to know!

April 20, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  14. Ia Guy

@Fred April 20th, 2009 12:54 pm ET

I agree with others who suggest that Meghan should just move on over to the Democrat side of politics.
    ----

We'll take her!

April 20, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  15. Sally

I'd be creeped out to if the weaselly Karl Rove was following me.

April 20, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  16. Laverne

Meghan is smart. She knows that the dems are eating this up and she is trying to restore some credibility to the republican party for the younger generation. I applaud her for that, BUT she is a republican and have the republicans interest on her mind. Don't be fooled by the so called "straight talk", this is more like a trap. If she is bucking against most of the things that republicans do, then perhaps she is in the wrong party??? I don't think so, she made it clear over the weekend she is a republican. Tread carefully dems, don't be hoodwinked!

April 20, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  17. lori

He's just creepy period.

April 20, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  18. Allan Leavell

Um, how about you use your intelligence and actually learn how to use twitter. You can block your "tweets" from being read from WHOEVER you want. Wow. And this is the person you chose to give international coverage on CNN.com? wow.

April 20, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  19. Chris

Diann Cornell April 20th, 2009 12:28 pm ET

I find it discusting that Mcaine's daughter would talk about Carl Rove like that….who the heck is she anyhow? She is no one I would want to give me advice!

I'm not a Republican but I'm liking her. She has all the right in the world to talk about Karl Rove. As McCain's daughter, she has additional insight into the world of politics that you or I might not have so I think that makes her as relevant as any other blogger out there. She's a Republican that's watching her party slowly erode and she's offering up her ideas to help save the party from irrelevance. If your a Republican I would suggest listening to her because your ideology and party as a whole will cease to exist on any significant level if you aren't able to attract voters from our generation. The younger crowd is leaning more Democratic and if your not careful it will be too late to put the pieced back together again.

April 20, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  20. George Mortensen

Let's leave aside the fact Ms. McCain's views on Twitter have little or no news worthiness but this is typical of this pathetic network. CNN will print or broadcast anything so long as it denigrates a Republican, a Conservative or anyone not considered to be a "good" liberal. But God forbid they spend any ink to criticize or challenge their new God, Comrade Zero.

April 20, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  21. Chris

While I'm a very loyal Democrat, Meghan McCain should be the new face of the GOP!!! She is trying to get those folks to move past all the crap their party has endured over the past years and move them into the 21st Century!!!

April 20, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  22. Indiana Voter

She really has a problem with opening her big mouth too often. Obviously she is trying to live off her daddy's fame, otherwise who would listen to her. She would never win as a Republican because she has trashed her "own party" too often too win, just like her daddy. It is sad to see another young girl turned by the liberal left democrats and embracing the hatred put out by the left. At this point, she is now a "R.I.N.O.", and nothing more. Of course anything anti-republican will be put on CNN's "news" ticker, and CNN will try to pass it off as objective reporting, but anyone with a brain can see that CNN is the democrat mouthpiece. If you disagree with me, then you must not have a brain. Period!

April 20, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  23. jack debrot, new york, new york

this child is being exploited by the liberal media. the more nonsense she spouts, the more publicity she gets. cnn and its ilk are the creeps here.

April 20, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  24. Kevin in Ohio

As a conservative, I totally understand how Karl Rove can be considered "creepy" by the left. Why then, cannot the left understand why conservatives find people like Ram Emanuel, Barney Frank, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Chris Dodd, Rev Wright, etc. etc. "creepy" as well??????? If Karl Rove is considered dangerous as a private citizen/pundit, these people who actually have power are absolutely terrifying to us......

April 20, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  25. even more creepy

O'Rielly who stalked his co-worker, she filed suit against him and settled out of court

or