April 20th, 2009

Meghan McCain: Karl Rove's a 'twitter creep'

Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.
Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.

(CNN) – Meghan McCain loves Twitter - except for the "creepy people." Like Karl Rove.

In a blog post for the Daily Beast published Monday, McCain says the social networking site has been a "liberating" experience for her - if only her dispatches weren't being read by the former Bush advisor.

"Karl Rove follows me on Twitter. That's creepy," she said. "I joined Twitter a few months ago; so far, it has been a liberating way to transition from political to personal blogging. It's allowed me to share the less serious aspects and humorously uncensored moments of my life. But there's also been a downside: I am now being followed by Karl Rove, and my local sheriff, and God knows how many other political pundits. We need to take Twitter back from the creepy people."

Later, she wrote: "I can't shake the fact that Karl Rove is following me-it can be creepy. So watch out."

The daughter of former Republican presidential candidate John McCain also said she finds Rove's Tweets "boring," and speculated that he had a "ghost Twitterer" or an assistant posting his thoughts.

"On the surface, Karl Rove's Twitter feed intrigues me," she said. Here's a guy who for years has been perceived as some kind of inaccessible man-behind-the-curtain figure. And now he Tweets numerous times a day. I've never met him in person, which only makes our Twitter relationship even weirder. And to be honest, I find Rove's Tweets boring. Sometimes he takes questions; other times he talks about his appearances on cable news and other shows. But he doesn't say anything substantive."

She said that Rove's Tweets "seem to reveal a softer side to him" - but drew her skepticism.

"Call it savvy marketing, but I find it disingenuous," she said. "And it's a bit weird to think his people-not even Rove himself-are following me."

Filed under: Karl Rove • Meghan McCain
  1. Brad

Hey people, "Republican" is not an ideology, it is just a political party. Your ideologies are your own; whatever you are registered as is just your way of aligning yourself with a large group that has the resources to make you feel like your opinions matter.

Meghan McCain is a good thing for the Republican party because she holds the basic core beliefs of small government, individual liberty, and responsible capitalism, but also sees that the far religious right has dominated the social policies of the party, which just do not sync up with the makeup of our modern society, as well as our country's rhetoric of freedom and democracy.

April 20, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  2. mark

Karl Rove is creepy. As a matter of fact, Karl Rove is disgusting. Look at his oversized, bloated head and that sore on his face that is always open and never heals... (mouth). Rove is an injustice to this country and a scar on history. Block him from your twits, Ms. McCain. *Stalker!*

April 20, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  3. C W

Typical of Rove to follow Meghan. He's collecting information on her to use against her, should she run for political office. She is dangerous to him and his anti-American agenda, because she obviously can't be controlled by him.

Airheads likes Palin and W Bush are more Rove's cup of tea: Stupid, malleable lightweights who can bring along the voting sheep of the religious right.

April 20, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  4. mike,texas

Thank you Carl Rove for enginering the Fall of the republican party.Keep up the great work.

April 20, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  5. Dave

Rove's tweets are creepy... especially if you're trapped in an elevator with one of 'em! I stay far away from him when he starts tweeting.

April 20, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  6. John

Who is Meghan McCain and why is she being reported on? Is what she thinks supposed to mean something?

April 20, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  7. Joe PA

You do know he is not actually following you. He just reads your updates.

April 20, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  8. Anonymous

Why is this twit on CNN? Doesnt CNN have anything else to talk about

April 20, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  9. Mike

No disrespect to Meghan McCain but why is CNN contributing so much space to her comments and views?
    She is the daughter of a Senator (there are many daughters of Senators) who ran for President.
    I voted for John McCain but just see no value in having so many comments from his daughter plastered all over the place.

The Republican party needs to fix itself. If Meghan McCain wants to be part of that then good for her. Let her join the ranks of those who make policy within this party. Then I'll be more interested in what she has to say because they will carry more clout.

April 20, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  10. Butch Dillon

I am starting to become a believer in McCain. She's alienating all the disgusting people on the dark side and speaking in more human terms. The republican party needs someone to drag them into civilization and maybe it's her. If not, she couldn't fare any the worse by cutting the ties that moor her to savages like Rove, Limbaugh, Hannity and the rest.

April 20, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  11. Frustrated by Government Management

Megan is the latest LIBERAL puppet UNFORTUANTELY the way the President is Harry Reids and Pelosi's puppet! REPRESENT THE PEOPLE OF AMERICA vs the PARTY! You have BARNEY FRANK a big component of this mess too, but he is your poster boy! Megan should like a liberal by critizing her party if she wants stage time!

Why is she so accepted by the DEMS? Quit calling her a GOP rep! If something negative comes out about her, how many of your dems will turn your backs? You are a two-faced party and if you believe Reid and Pelosi represent you, you are stupid. Both parties are to blame for this mess because it is all about votes and party vs. american needs.

If you want free housing and healthcare..join the military! She can move that great DEMOCRATIC state of MICHIGAN and CALIFORNIA where Liberal philosophy works!, right? California is dem. state because ARNOLD is a puppet of Maria Shriver Kennedy!!

CNN should report for the what is good for the people! I do not blame MSNBC for being the liberal news center since the government gave bailout dollars to their owners GE. Did you see anyone complaining about the bonuses to Keith Obermann and Chris Matthews with your tax dollars? You bank on the yoda look-alike Carvelle to give you political insight?

Alot ot the policies that the President is introducing are pretty much PAYOFFS to all who got him into the Oval Office....UAW, ACORN, FANNIE AND FREDDIE, GE, ENVIRONMENTALISTS..ETC....It is a shame that CHRISTIANITY will soon be a thing of the past because of you liberals!!

April 20, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  12. Harvey from Ar.

I am retired from the U.S.Navy. Iserved on an aircraft carrier that John Mccain flew from as a fighter pilot. Did not know him would just see him from time to timeI have all the respect in the world for John Mccain the fighter pilot, and his service to this country, although i do not agree with him politically, I think his daughter is a breath of fresh air. If all the repubs in the house would find it upon themselves to realize that Obama is the president and they are no longer in power. With her wit and foresight for the future things would probably get better.

April 20, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  13. TwitER

Rove is probably not the only older creepy man following you on Twitter Meghan. Better post carefully.... or get over it.

April 20, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  14. Scott

i wonder if Meghan McCain realizes that she's being used by the MSM?

April 20, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  15. Susan

She is just repeating what she has heard around the dinner table at home.

April 20, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  16. Corwin7

You GO Megan. I must admit I have mixed feelings regarding an intelligent, caring, honest republican but if we HAVE to have republicans at all then those are the qualities I'd vote for.

April 20, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  17. eunice c

i am a dem but i have to agree with meghan mccain the gop is crazy karl, rush and newt and the gop- they always want to be at war with some godforesaken country messing with people lives - they don't want the united states to be friends with anyone -- what the country need to do is take all 3 of them including the gop party and sit them in one of these country's and let them fend for themselves maybe it will make them feel better -– I have never heard of (so many ideas the President Obama should use or say) these ideas was not suggested when Bush was in office -– I have never seen SO MANY complaints about a Black Man beening President in my life seems as though Color of his Skin just don't agree with everyone - which is fine-but at least give him a chance KEEP COMPLAINTING - WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT THIS COUNTRY WILL END UP JUST LIKE NORTH KOREA (ISOLATED) NO FRIENDS IN SIGHT

April 20, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  18. Jamie Vengley

How exactly is this newsworthy or relevant?
    I mean, we all knew Karl Rove was creepy a long time ago.. creepy is actually putting it lightly.
    Please, CNN... Meghan McCain is not relevant and her Twitter posts are not intelligent. Please report NEWS.

April 20, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  19. w.l. jones

It could be adviser if Meghan Mccain spend some time with Democratic Stratist Donna Brazile and Jame Carville on what the party stand for may be she will come over to there side.

April 20, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  20. Nick

Yes, Karl Rove is creepy, but why is Meghan McCain suddenly everywhere? Does anyone care what she thinks? Listen to Dr. Ron Paul, people, like you should have been doing all along.

April 20, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  21. Guy Next Door

She has problems.

I can't figure out whom would want to follow her. She better take another look at herself.

Size counts!

April 20, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  22. Ex-GOP

When Rove is involved, the correct verb is not "following" you. the correct verb is "stalking."

April 20, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  23. loving a McCain for the first time

Oh man. I am in love with a registered republican.. I think I have found my dream girl.... we will get over the politics.. if the Carvilles can do it.. I am willing to try.. I am heading to twitter now to find her... this is a refreshing voice that embodies what I believe America to be.. a place where we can agree, disagree, and agree to disagree... if she ever runs for office and is remotely as astute as she appears at present.. I am voting republican!!!

April 20, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  24. Pete

I'm a few thousand miles away, but I can almost hear Rove grinding his teeth after reading Meghan's comments. Hilarious! I hope that she takes on Coulter next, who is the only person who beats Rove on the "creepy" scale.

April 20, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  25. tsallaboutme55

Meghan
    Karl Rove would be "creepy" no matter what he is doing. He is also "icky". Neither one of them is good. He is just a washed up old geezer looking to catch you saying something "un-Republican-esque" so that he can scold you...... like you give a crap............

April 20, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |