CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) – A Federal judge has denied ousted Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich's request to travel to Central America to take part in a reality TV show.
Blagojevich had signed on to "be dropped into the heart of the Costa Rican jungle" in a celebrity competition, according to the NBC television network.
But his participation depended U.S. District Court Judge James Zagel lifting travel restrictions imposed when the former governor was indicted on federal corruption charges, the network said.
Zagel, in a Tuesday morning hearing, called it "a bad idea" and suggested Blagojevich find another way to earn money, according CNN affiliate WLS-TV.
The judge told Blagojevich he should stay remain in the United States to work on his defense, WLS reported.
Blagojevich, who was impeached and removed from office earlier this year, pleaded not guilty to the charges.
A federal grand jury indicted him this month on 16 felony counts, including racketeering, conspiracy, wire fraud and making false statements to investigators.
He is accused with scheming to sell or trade the U.S. Senate seat vacated by President Obama.
Blagojevich denies all charges.
The reality show - "I'm a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here!" - is based on a successful British show, NBC said.
"Ten celebrities of various backgrounds will be dropped into the heart of the Costa Rican jungle to face challenges designed to test their skills in adapting to the wilderness and to raise money for their favorite charities," the NBC statement said.
The show is scheduled to air over four weeks in June, the network said.