April 21st, 2009

San Fran mayor officially announces his bid for governor

(CNN) – Gavin Newsom has made it official. The San Francisco mayor on Tuesday formally declared his intent to enter California's gubernatorial race.

The California Democrat used the new media social-networking sites Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook to announce his bid to succeed the current governor, Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger.

"We can't afford to keep returning to the same old tired ideas and expect a different result," Newsom said in a three-minute YouTube announcement on his Web site, GavinNewsom.com. "I'm a candidate for governor of California because I know we can do better."

But Newsom could face a tough challenge in the Golden State's Democratic primary, with competition from Lt. Gov. John Garamendi and state Attorney General Jerry Brown.

"Gavin Newsom has a formidable obstacle in former California governor and current Attorney General Jerry Brown, who much better known statewide and has deep roots in the Democratic party, especially with Hispanic voters," said CNN senior political analyst Bill Schneider.

"Newsom has said that he's the Barack Obama in the race and that Brown is the Hillary Clinton, meaning that Newsom is young and fresh and that Brown is out of date. Brown tells me he thinks that argument is silly and irrelevant," Schneider said. "There is one issue that Newsom is linked, and that is gay marriage. He allowed same-sex marriages in San Francisco until the courts intervened. This could be a plus for him in the Democratic primary but a problem in the general election."

Updated after the jump

UPDATE: Republican California gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman announced Tuesday that her gubernatorial exploratory committee is “on track” to raise at least $5 million by June 30. The former president and CEO of Ebay announced her candidacy for governor in February.

“I’m honored that people are investing in the cause to create A New California,” Whitman said in a statement released Tuesday.

Filed under: California
  1. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

I'd rather see Sean Penn.

April 21, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  2. Really?

No thank you. NOt interested. Are there any minorities that would like to run for Governor of Cali? That, I would be interested in. A different way of thinking or at least someone mature (not old) with a brain.

April 21, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  3. Frank

He's got my vote.

April 21, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  4. Roger from CA

If this idiot wins the Dem nomination for governor, I will have to (for the first time in close to 30 years) consider voting either for the GOP or not voting at all. I blame him and the radical gay-marriage activists for doing in 2004 what Ralph Nader did in 2000–hand the presidency to George Bush. Worse, they energized the right throughout the country.

He is a grandstander who doesn't know how badly he hurt the cause he ostensibly supports when he gave that idiotic "it's going to happen, whether they like it or not..." line that energized Prop 8 proponents.

April 21, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  5. Shirley In California

Let's see now: another adulterer running for office. I don't live in SF but I do work there and I know plenty of people who will not vote for him but let him keep believing he can win in his little mind.

April 21, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  6. Daryl in Seattle

Saw this guy on Bill Mahr. He's the real thing and I could see him making a run for President down the road. Not sure if he'll win though after the whole gay marriage fiasco in Frisco. I'm not necessarily against gay unions, but a great deal of the country is.

April 21, 2009 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  7. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

This Sna Fran mayor looks like the Sean Penn character in Milk.

April 21, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  8. just another "arrogant" American

Please Californians, keep this ultra-liberal out of office, unless of course you want your state to turn into the circus freak show that is San Francisco.

April 21, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  9. Ron In California

Who cares!

April 21, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  10. Tim

Now I have the heebey-jeebies.

April 21, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  11. lisa from az

That is awesome. America needs real leaders...EVERYWHERE. A leader is an individual that will stand up and speak out and work for a worthy goal, for the good of all, even if there is a personal cost. I hope he WINS.

April 21, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  12. leigh

I like him and I hope he wins!

April 21, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  13. Fair is Fair

He'll do better in a Sean Penn look-alike contest.

April 21, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  14. Mississippi Mike

Hahahaha. This guy is a joke. He is such a control freak and radical ideologue that he will make Schwartzenegger look like Winston Churchill.

April 21, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  15. run Gavin Newsom run

but please stop the adultry

I don't think anyone can correct the California economy

so the optimist in me says to give you a chance, but... stop all the non professional things you do like sleeping with your campaign managers wife

April 21, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  16. Charles

No way. San Fran is NOT is good shape. People are getting out!

April 21, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  17. tim

wheather you like it or not.will be his pledge.

April 21, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  18. Anonymous

Do we really want a Governor who will make his own rules/laws whether you 'like it or not'?

April 21, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  19. Teacher

Frightening!!!!

April 21, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  20. Paul, Riverside CA`

A progressive that can get things done, he's got my vote. As for Brown, I like him, but Gavin has done a lot for San Francisco, Universal Health Care, etc... and know he will be perfect for California.

April 21, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  21. TomJay

Fresh new fodder for Fox News. Can't wait to hear them go after Gruesome Newsom

April 21, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  22. Operation Crush Rush

Newsom will do a better job than Arnold could ever do.Brown should stick to chasing his tail.

April 21, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  23. Tibido

Why does this arrogant guy think he is deserving of being governor? He runs his city like a mini dictatorship and sees only his point of view.

I would not want him in charge of a fast food joint, let alone the entire state.

April 21, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  24. FreeNLovIt

No. Keep the TERMINATOR!!

April 21, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  25. mona

Yes Newsom, you can fix California's problems but can't even fix San Francisco's problems

April 21, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |