April 21st, 2009

Shirtless Obama to appear on magazine cover

A shirtless Obama is on the cover of Washingtonian Magazine.
A shirtless Obama is on the cover of Washingtonian Magazine.

(CNN) – It's not every day a President of the United States lands shirtless on a magazine cover.

But the May issue of Washingtonian Magazine, to hit newsstands Wednesday, is causing a bit of a sizzle inside the beltway. President Obama graces the cover, shirtless, in an issue that focuses on "26 Reasons to Love Living Here."

The number two reason: "Our new neighbor is hot."

The particular photo choice, taken while Obama was vacationing in Hawaii over Christmas last year, is certainly an unconventional pick to showcase the commander-in-chief.

But Garrett Gaffe, editor-at-large for the magazine, told CNN the picture is appropriate because, "our feeling was that this wasn't an ordinary presidency."

"The Obamas, through their involvement in Washington, are helping to showcase just how exciting it is to be in Washington right now" he said. "We use the word 'hot' tongue in cheek with the photo."

"He is a buff president that the paparazzi enjoy taking photos of," said Gaffe.

Contacted by CNN, the White House declined to comment on the magazine's cover.

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. cary

An overweight, elder presidential candidate will have a hard time being elected in the future. America can see just what a fit, energetic, well-educated president can do in his first 90 days as opposed to those that took the position to sit around and scowl at other world leaders.

April 21, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  2. Wilson

Full package...Brains and Good Looks..Michelle is Lucky!

April 21, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  3. Sidney Jacobs

Oh my God.
    Does Obama's egomania have no bounds?
    Enough already with this guy.
    And you know if he had disapproved of the photo, it would never have been published.
    What a sorry embarrassment he is to this country.
    He's nothing more than a country bumpkin.
    The world is laughing behind closed doors.
    Soon the sound of the laughter will be deafening.
    I'm so ashamed of this president.

April 21, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  4. lb

He continues to astound me with his poor judgement!!!
    At this rate, there will be no digity left to the presidency.
    I am appalled!

April 21, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  5. D.D.

C'mon, people!

April 21, 2009 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  6. my

i do not want to see my president like this!!!!

April 21, 2009 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  7. Rbit

This is so disrespectful of the President to allow this picture to run of himself and it is disrespectful of the magazine to do it. I know it will sell magazines, but it degrades the office of the President in the eyes of the country and the world. This has nothing to do with his looks but rather his appearance. It is very simply inappropriate for the world leader and the US Commander-in-Chief to be seen this way in public.

April 21, 2009 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  8. lolly

The Washingtonian is showing poor taste with this one. Nice to look at? Perhaps, but still in poor taste.

April 21, 2009 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  9. j

HE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PHOTO.

It's called a free society with the freedom of press. If Obama is at the beach playing with his kids in the water he's going to be shirtless. If someone takes a picture of him, he can't do anything about it. He's a public figure! The fact that you equate the actions of a magazine to his actions as president shows just how absurd you are.

P.S. Jessica, if the last president didn't embarrass you with the way he handled the economy and if the last republican president didn't embarrass you with by the way he ran his campaign and agreed with the economic policies of the last president, then you really have no shame.

April 21, 2009 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  10. Kristina, Seattle

He's a great looking guy, but he's the PRESIDENT. A bit of a tacky and disrespectful move by the magazine, I think. And why did they have to photoshop the color of his shorts? They were black in that photo, not red. Silly.

April 21, 2009 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  11. suresh

What is wrong with these Repubs? Obama did not pose for this picture. It was snapped while he was vacationing in Hawwaii last year. If you Repubs want to blame somebody, as you always do, blame the editor of the magazine for his selection. Common guys, GROW UP.

April 21, 2009 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  12. Bill in California

HE DOESN'T STAND A WHISPER OF A CHANCE against a REAL political force and man ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGAR. B.O. better spend more time at the gym instead of giving speeches.

April 21, 2009 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  13. Drew, Atlanta, GA

lb April 21st, 2009 5:59 pm ET

"He continues to astound me with his poor judgement!!!
    At this rate, there will be no digity left to the presidency.
    I am appalled!"

And he showed poor judgement by doing what, going to the beach with his family??? I bet you voted for Palin/McCain.. talk about bad judgement! LOL

April 21, 2009 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  14. Ron

Can we have the pictures of all the people in the country who will have to give the shirts off their backs to pay for his reckless spending???

April 21, 2009 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  15. Tyler

When I saw that headline I was worried he posed for a pic. That would have been in poor taste.

Even though his haters are using this to express outrage, he was swimming. Unless we've time warped to 1910 and the onesies, I'm not sure what you want him to do when you think he should control the press.

I'm pretty happy we finally have a president who doesn't control the press.

April 21, 2009 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  16. arithmetic is liberal

lb April 21st, 2009 5:59 pm ET

He continues to astound me with his poor judgement!!!
    At this rate, there will be no digity left to the presidency.
    I am appalled!

Yeah, I would be too, if this was the White House's doing.

In related news, reading is good.

April 21, 2009 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  17. Bev - NYC

lb April 21st, 2009 5:59 pm ET

He continues to astound me with his poor judgement!!!
    At this rate, there will be no digity left to the presidency.
    I am appalled!
    _____________________________________________________

What's to be appalled about. President Obama did not pose for the picture, he was on a beach with his daughters !. While it is poor taste for this to be a magazine cover, it is better than seeing Rush in swimwear.

April 21, 2009 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  18. Lol

What's the big deal? Who cares!!!!

April 21, 2009 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  19. DRus

Can you imagine any other president with his shirt off? it makes me think of throwing up in my mouth

April 21, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  20. tiff of Lithia Springs

OMG!!!! They didn't like the first lady being sleeveless. The stuff is going to hit the fan once he goes shirtless.

April 21, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  21. Andy

This unbeliveable. Someone publish an old pic of Pres Obama when he was on vacation. Now the haters are coming out of the woodwork.
    "shame' "shame," "shame". Get a life.

April 21, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  22. Susan D

Republicans are envious for so many reasons. The President's fantastic figure, which is probably a combination of good genes and hard work, is the least of the reasons they should be. As a country, we are blessed to have a leader who has it all. I wish people could lift the blinders that impair their view. There is so much good to be seen and heard!!

April 21, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  23. Hey BIG Spender

I understand this is not Obama's fault, but geez...Has the Washingtonian no decency? Another mag that needs to go down the drain.

April 21, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  24. Cevin, WI

I'd make a joke here about Democratic presidents keeping their clothes on, but I can't really fault Obama for this. I always think back to Reagan, though, who never removed his suit coat while in the Oval Office because of his deep respect for the Presidency. In this case, I think it's the press' lack of respect for the office that goes too far. Its wrong to put any president in a light that makes their substance quetionable. I know the Democratic party has gotten a lot out of his rock-star-like appeal, but I don't think the president should be a pop star. There are VERY few pop stars these days that are respectable, and I can't for the life of me understand why any president would want to be portrayed as one.

April 21, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  25. RR

Wouldn't want to see John McCain or Rush Limbaugh with their shirt off!

April 21, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |