April 22nd, 2009

On Earth Day, Biden announces funding for clean vehicles

Biden said 'every day is Earth Day' in announcing the Clean Cities Alternative Fuel and Advanced Technology Vehicles Pilot Program.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Vice President Joe Biden said Wednesday that $300 million in stimulus money will be given to state and local governments to help expand the number of clean and sustainable vehicles in cities around the nation.

Biden said "every day is Earth Day" in announcing the Clean Cities Alternative Fuel and Advanced Technology Vehicles Pilot Program, which would help local governments and transportation authorities invest in clean vehicles and fund the fueling infrastructure to support them.

"From advanced battery cars to hybrid-electric city buses, we're going put Recovery Act dollars to work deploying cleaner, greener vehicles in cities and towns across the nation that will cut costs, reduce pollution and create the jobs that will drive our economic recovery," Biden said in a statement.

This funding is adding to $11 billion already allocated to the Department of Energy to boost local energy efficiency programs and weatherize low-income homes. To participate, local governments have to apply to the Clean Cities Program for funding, and they can receive money for a variety of hybrid vehicles and alternative fuels.

Biden made the announcement at the WMATA Carmen Turner Maintenance and Training Facility in Landover, Maryland.

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. RICO

You repubs are slow. If you invest in green technology how does that not create or saves jobs? Someone has to invent or design the technology, then someone has to implement the technology and build it, if this doesn't create jobs, then who is doing all this work? Instead of just talking to talk why don't you repubs stop and think about it, or better yet head to Texas break from the Union and leave America alone

April 22, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  2. stormerF

Biden,what a clown....Puppet is more like it...Clinton signed NAFTA,thats North American Free Trade Act,,,Not the North American FAIR Trade act.....Obama's Green plan will cost America Jobs,and when the cap on carbon emissons hits your energy bill will triple.We need to be drilling for more oil,Starting Nuclear plants and stop this silliness about Bio fuel.Boi fuel will not work in cold weather it gets thick and will not flow..Ethonal costs more gets less MPG and is still polluting the air.

April 22, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  3. stormerF

IF Obama and Biden are so hot about these,small,slow unsafe cars,why are they not using them? Enact a law which requires all congressmen and women to drive or be driven around in these small uncomfortable cars... Lets see how serious they are about really supporting..Obama's Drive for the green machine... Tell them its time to Put Up or Shut UP.

April 22, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  4. bob

why is cheney still a news story? isn't he out of a job?

April 22, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  5. Jo

Thank you VP Biden!
    Welcome to the 21st century United States!!

April 22, 2009 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  6. dustbunny

I am going to drive my big truck all I can today. Run my lawn mower all day. Also burn my brush pile and all the old tires I have. Set my A/C down to about 60 degrees. Light up my garbage pile with all the paper and cardboard. I have a pile of old limber to burn also.

April 22, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  7. George

How about a muffler for Rush Limbaugh's toxic mouth also. He is polluting our environment with toxic waste.

April 22, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  8. Scott AZ

That is so generous of him just passing out our tax dollars left and right as if it was his own money.

April 22, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  9. Scott AZ

Wait a minute! Obama wants the Feds to cut 100 million dollars from their budgets within the next 90 days, let's do it here and simply waste 200 million instead of the 300 Joe wants.

April 22, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  10. INDEPENDANT VET

WHY DON'T THEY ALL POSE FOR PLAY GIRL , AND GO TO HOLLYWOOD , AND MAKE A MOVIE . THEN FLY AWAY WITH MADAM PELOSI AN AL GORE CAN WRITE A NEW BOOK . HOW TO SCREW THE TAX PAYERS AGAIN IN 2012 . BARRACK IS GETYTING HIS PANTY WAISTE ON THE COVER , SO LINE UP AN START YOU CAR WASH , WE CAN SEE PELOSI DRYING OFF THE REAR WINDOWS. BARRACK MAKE A HOOD ORITIMENT . BIDEN LEADING A DOG AROUND TO WASH DOWN THE WHEELS .

DAY OF THE GREEN . $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

April 22, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  11. Laura in KS

How is Earth Day or attempting to clean up our environment in any way "communism?" Seriously, could someone please explain to me how, how, how can some people honestly think that giving a crap about the planet we live on is related to communism?? Anyone? Hello??

April 22, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  12. David

I'm a devout Conservative, but I love Biden. It's like when you see someone old that can't really do anything right on their own and you say, "ohhhh, poooooor thing". That's how I feel with Biden.

April 22, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  13. Mark, B'ham., Al.

My response is to let the market dictate what people drive. If you want a more fuel efficient car that is safe unlike the K-Car of the 70's and early 80's then Detroit should build it. I but for safety first, power second, and fuel milage third.

April 22, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  14. David

To Anonymous who said: "Let me be the first to say, " I want a subsidy to pay my electric bill, paid by those making over $ 250,000 per year" now thats fair!"
    ______

I COMPLETELY agree with you. Why should I have to pay to use my own energy when someone else who makes a lot of money can afford to pay my bill. It's just not American for me to have to pay my own bills...

April 22, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  15. demwit

So whats $11 billion...., I mean Obama is trying to save 11 million aren't he!?

April 22, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  16. Guy Next Door

Another big joke. Just what is heck is Earth Day? More brainwashing of your children. Shame on you leftest.

April 22, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |