April 22nd, 2009

President Clinton hits campaign trail with McAuliffe

Clinton will hit the campaign trail again.
Clinton will hit the campaign trail again.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton is wading into Virginia’s Democratic primary for governor on behalf of his friend and long time political ally Terry McAuliffe.

McAuliffe's campaign announced Wednesday that Clinton will campaign alongside the Democratic contender on Monday in Richmond and Roanoke. It will mark the first time that the 42nd president has actively stumped for McAuliffe, a former Democratic National Committee chairman- turned gubernatorial candidate.

McAuliffe is locked in a contentious three-way primary battle with state Sen. Creigh Deeds and former House member Brian Moran.

The winner of that contest will face Republican Bob McDonnell in the general election.

McAuliffe makes no apologies for the kind of political firepower he’s bringing to the 2009 governor’s race, arguably the most-watched contest in this off-year election cycle. Of the $4.2 million he raised during the first three months of 2009, more than 80 percent of it came from out-of-state donors, many of whom McAuliffe knows from his years of involvement in national Democratic politics.

Clinton himself gave McAuliffe’s campaign a check for $10,000 in January.

Although Clinton headlined the Democratic Party of Virginia’s Jefferson-Jackson Dinner in February – a forum at which all three candidates appeared - he avoided any public endorsement of McAuliffe at the time.

And in a sign of the times, McAuliffe's campaign made the Clinton announcement Wednesday via text message.

“As a former Governor and good friend of Terry's, we think the President can speak to Terry's experience creating jobs and how that will help Virginia if Terry is in the Governor's office," McAuliffe spokesman Lis Smith said.

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Terry McAuliffe • Virginia
  1. southerncousin

Sounds like a couple of slime balls hitting the road to pick up some stray women doesn't it. Just like old times.

April 22, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  2. Gracie, MD

Let the race begin.......here come bit BIG hitters.

April 22, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  3. Rose

To Furious in VA:

If you want a true Virginian as Governor, vote for Creigh Deeds. The state senator from Bath County understands what folks in our part of the world need.

April 22, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  4. Blue Tiger

Many comments for this story have been slamming Terry and his "antics" during the 08 primary. Can someone please provide 2-3 specific examples of what he did that was so bad or specific examples os what he may have said?

April 22, 2009 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  5. crabman 122

Chi Town give it a break, is it President Obama's fault they took a picture of him taking a swim. Jeez, I guess the guy should swim in a suit.

April 22, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  6. worriedmom

@Candy
    I can agree with you on one thing I would not vote for McAuliffe as he is ruthless and glorfies power however I am so sick and tired of some of you Liberals always categorizing thinks all Republicans love hate and not God. Where does your mind get these facts? Just because I dont agree with you on issues does not mean I am not a Christian, i can dislike but in your world the only definition that you see on "dislike" is hate. I have loads of friends that represent all parties and when we disagree we dont HATE each other, we disagree and still remain friends. I can see why the world is like it is, people like you are so close minded and opinionated that you cannot see someone's point of view and think outside the box.

April 22, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  7. Norcal DM

I find myself disgusted with Terry McAuliffe. However, I also cannot stomach a GOP victory in Va when President Obama won that state. The lesser of two evils is Terry McAuliffe.

BTW, to you ppl who use President Obama's middle name, the fear mongering is over, deal with it, we have a guy with a funny name, as President Obama calls it in the white house, who cares!! The name matters none, his policies will get the country back on the right track.

April 22, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  8. The lonely Libertarian of Liverpool NY

"Of the $4.2 million he raised during the first three months of 2009, more than 80 percent of it came from out-of-state donors, many of whom McAuliffe knows from his years of involvement in national Democratic politics."
    It is this kind of political fund raising that undermines the ability of the people of VA. to elect someone who is from their community. How do the people of VA. get true representation when the people running will be beholding to all of these large campaign contributors from outside the state?
    What if a candidate gets funding from some foreign nation, China, Russia, Europe, the Middle east, should we the people allow outside influence in deciding who our government leadership will be?
    "We the People" need true campaign fund raising reform, so we can once again have a government of the people, by the people, and FOR the people.

April 22, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  9. Blue Chip

I hear you all. Here is what I struggle with; Terry really did and said somethings during the primaries that I really don't know that I can overlook. These things go real deep into his make-up, I don't know that he is the right person for Virginia. I am from California so I don't have to contend. But the fact that he is a democrat is not in itself a qualification for a "win", even if Barack were to campaign for him. Perhaps the reason he isn't. Goodluck Terry, you are really going to need it.

April 22, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  10. crabman 122

Michelle from Colorado, I firmly believe that if President Obama had inherited a situation closer to what President Clinton inherited then he would probably be closer to what President Clinton was while he was in office. Please give the President time to fix what's broken and then improve upon that.

April 22, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  11. Ms Hudson

McAuliffe would do well to consider what happened to Bill's wife's campaign after Bill added his political "expertise" to it.....

April 22, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  12. Patrick

T-Mac is the man!!! I now live in Virginia Beach and I will be canvassing for him. He is going to make a great governor. I wish I could take off work Monday and head to Richmond. I went to that Jefferson Jackson dinner and Terry Mc was very inspiring. President Clinton gave a great speech that night too. I have his bumper sticker on the back of my car. Go Terry, Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 22, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  13. Jason

I, for one, am sick of the Clinton's in politics!!! The only reason they are still involved in politics is to continue to hide their dirty deeds and filthy greed concerning the Whitewater affairs. Hillary STILL HASN'T turned over all the documents the FBI requested on her dealings and financial gain from the Whitewater affair. I hope Bill Clinton's involvement with McAuliffe really shows the people of Virginia just how unethical they are (Clinton's AND McAuliffe). It's time for a change in politics in the United States, for when crimes are committed and the perpetrators are not held accountible for their crimes due to politics, well, America is suffering...

April 22, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  14. Patrick

I am very proud of President Clinton for coming to help Terry. Terry did a great job over the years for both of the Clintons and now they showing their appreciation for his loyalty. I can't wait til I get a chance to vote for Terry. He is qwesome and will make a great governor. His enthusiasm is aways contageous.

April 22, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |