April 22nd, 2009

President Clinton hits campaign trail with McAuliffe

Clinton will hit the campaign trail again.
Clinton will hit the campaign trail again.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton is wading into Virginia’s Democratic primary for governor on behalf of his friend and long time political ally Terry McAuliffe.

McAuliffe's campaign announced Wednesday that Clinton will campaign alongside the Democratic contender on Monday in Richmond and Roanoke. It will mark the first time that the 42nd president has actively stumped for McAuliffe, a former Democratic National Committee chairman- turned gubernatorial candidate.

McAuliffe is locked in a contentious three-way primary battle with state Sen. Creigh Deeds and former House member Brian Moran.

The winner of that contest will face Republican Bob McDonnell in the general election.

McAuliffe makes no apologies for the kind of political firepower he’s bringing to the 2009 governor’s race, arguably the most-watched contest in this off-year election cycle. Of the $4.2 million he raised during the first three months of 2009, more than 80 percent of it came from out-of-state donors, many of whom McAuliffe knows from his years of involvement in national Democratic politics.

Clinton himself gave McAuliffe’s campaign a check for $10,000 in January.

Although Clinton headlined the Democratic Party of Virginia’s Jefferson-Jackson Dinner in February – a forum at which all three candidates appeared - he avoided any public endorsement of McAuliffe at the time.

And in a sign of the times, McAuliffe's campaign made the Clinton announcement Wednesday via text message.

“As a former Governor and good friend of Terry's, we think the President can speak to Terry's experience creating jobs and how that will help Virginia if Terry is in the Governor's office," McAuliffe spokesman Lis Smith said.

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Terry McAuliffe • Virginia
  1. barking republican ankle biters

Virginia will be blue for many years to come.The population there has become more educated and not a fifth grade state anymore.

April 22, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  2. Candy West Virginia

I am a PROUD liberal democrat who NEVER votes republican because I have a conscience and I love God not hate, etc. which is all the repugs promote. That said, I could not bring myself to vote for Terry McAuliffe, his antics during the primaries were shameful and loathsome, they reminded me of republicans.

April 22, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  3. Die Painfully Dick

Thanx Clinton!!

April 22, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  4. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

As much as I respect the Clinton's, I just can't vote for Terry. He ran a presidential campaign that left HRC in debt. If that's how he ran a campaign, I can only imagine how he'll run a state. Sorry, but I'm voting for Moran.

April 22, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  5. Jon Duon

Uncle Bill is a burden not an asset. Hillary is twice the woman that he is a man.

April 22, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  6. Furious in VA

That's just what Southwest Virginia needs – another governor who ignores us and stays in Northern VA – and that's exactly what we'll get!

April 22, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  7. willowood

Terry McAuliffe had a completely demoralizing affect on the 2008 campaign. I found his antics and words in the midst of the fight for electoral votes repugnant. He has a noticeable mean streak with words to match that renders him useless in consensus building. As a native Virginian and long time Democrat he would not get my vote.

April 22, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  8. Mari( maybe one of my comments will be posted)

@ Candy W. Virginia........... I agree with you. McAuliffe was despicable during the primaries and now he needs Obama voters to support him. Let this be a lesson to politicians, be fair because you just might need your opponents votes!

Please, consider 'holding your nose' and voting Dem. I would vote for McAuliffe any day than give the GOPers a victory!

April 22, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  9. keeth in california

I could never vote for Terry McAuliffe. But I could vote for firing whoever writes these trite and often incorrect article titles.

April 22, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  10. Kelby In Houston, TX

I didn't like the way he behaved during the Primaries either, so either find another Democratic nominee or get over it because we don't need any more repuglicans in power. And as bad as he was, he ain't got nothin on a Republican. I have an idea that would win him more support...he should apologize for his divisive behaviour that he exhibited during the primaries.

April 22, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  11. Sam Sixpack

All that matters is we blindly hate Republicans. So what if 98% of the stimulus money is going to fat, greedy, rich people? So what if the economy is tanking faster than ever. As long as we join together in our blind hatred of everything Republican, it is worth it. Off with their heads!

April 22, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  12. Disillusioned

They going to follow their leader and talk about change ? LOL

April 22, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  13. Tom

Agree with Candy – his actions during the presidential campaign were shameful and embarrassing. He's in it for the glory, and that's why he's bringing in all the outside money and politicians. We need someone who cares about the Commonwealth, not about himself. Vote Moran or Deeds, please.

April 22, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  14. Candy West Virginia

Mari( maybe one of my comments will be posted) – not to worry, I would vote any dem in before ANY rethug.

April 22, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  15. Hunter Reid

Just curious why Terry McAuliffe needs to raise money for his campaign? I seem to recall he made millions "selling stock" in advance of Global Crossing's collapse, leaving a lot of shareholders with nothing, just as happened at Enron. This guy is a crook extrordinaire, but all is ignored or forgiven, I guess, since he's a Dem.

April 22, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  16. No Peta

Want to see two good reasons why Hillary lost. Look no further.

April 22, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  17. Lee, Ann Arbor, Michigan

One slimy guy (Bill) campaigning for another slimy guy (McAuliffe).

They are peas in a pod.

April 22, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  18. moose

I am a proud Democrat who will vote for Creigh Deeds in the primary. However, if Brian Moran wins the nomination, I will proudly support him. With that being said, under no circumstances will I vote for Terry McAuliffe in the general election. This man represents everything wrong in the world or politics. He flashes his money around like Donald Trumph, and runs his mouth as if he were royality.

If McAuliffe wins the primary, its the beginning of the end of the "blue movement" in Virginia.

April 22, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  19. Patriot

who cares?

Bill Clinton lost Virginia twice and Hillary Clinton lost the Virginia primary to Barack Hussein Obama.

Terry McAullife can't buy a state.

April 22, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  20. KJ

Come on Virginians, at no time should we vote/elect Terry McAuliffe as our next Governor. This person did some mean things during the Presidential primaries and now he is in it for himself. The man knows absolutely nothing about Politics and what we Virginians need and deserve in our next Governor.

Look at who he is bringing in to support him. Do I need to say more? Of course now he'll need President OBama and his supports to rally behind him to win the nomination of his party. Vote for Moran if you really want someone to lookout for our best interests. I am proud to be a Virginian, but will NEVER vote for Terry McAuliffe. I'd rather vote for Bob McDonnell if Mr. McAuliffe receives the nomination from his party.

To Sam Sixpack and others; is there really a need to post the word "hate" in your blog? That's what's wrong with many folks who speak in this manner. Why is it folks have to use that word. I always remember being taught that "hate" is a strong word and to use caution when using it in a sentence. Perhaps you need to be careful in the future and stop spewing all of your hatred. We need both parties to work together regardless if you're a Republican or Democrat. Do you really think Governor Kaine is doing a good job for us??

April 22, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  21. Sniffit

@ Sam Sixpack, who said "So what if the economy is tanking faster than ever. "

So what if the current economic facts and evidence suggest otherwise? So what if the words coming out of your mouth have no factual foundation on which to stand or basis in reality? So what if you're just repeating what your GOP masters programmed you to believe? Here's a hint: if you want to be hypercritical and all doom-and-gloom, that's fine...your choice...but you might want to make sure that you're not just fabricating things first.

April 22, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  22. Michelle from Colorado

As it stands, Republicans are still in nowhere land politically. while I'd like to see a qualified Democrat take the prize away from any Republican in any state, I hope McAuliffe is a Clinton Democrat and not an Obama Democrat. I am not an Obama fan at all.

April 22, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  23. Chi Town

Maybe they should just take off their shirts... The Dems could through dollars at them... seems to work for the super star

April 22, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  24. Deborah

What Jobs has Terry created??????????

This morning when I read about David Kellerman, acting chief financial officer of troubled lender Freddie Mac, found dead in Va. home.......

I remembered how the folks in the know during White Water kept turning up Dead!

We are living in VERY strange times again!

April 22, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  25. strong

Why would Bill give this McAuliffe guy $10,000 when Hillary was still (allegedly) in debt with her campaign?? Remember, charity begins at home and stays there.

Anyways, $10,000 to the Clinton's is just chump change, coffee money.

April 22, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |