April 23rd, 2009

What FLOTUS would do if 'something bad happened to a country'

(CNN) – Kids say the darndest things.

Michelle Obama hosted a group of children at the White House for 'Take your child to work day' Thursday, and a student asked Michelle Obama what she would personally do if "something bad happened to a country."

"Well first of all, I'd wake my husband up if it were at night. And I'd tell him, hey buddy, you're the president, get down to the Oval Office and call some leaders," Obama told the group. "I'm married to the president and he has to worry about all that."

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. Hawaii resident

I just love this lady, she is so classy!

April 23, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  2. southerncousin

She knows that with him destroying our defensive capabilities this is bound to happen.

April 23, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  3. Stephanie

That's classy? I'd think classy would be 'whatever I could do to help ease suffering'. To me this reads as if something bad happend to a country, oh well, not my problem. I think we have enough 'not my problem' attitude around without teaching it to children more than already happens. Kids – if you see someone bullying someone else, Ms. Obama says it's okay to go tell someone else and not do what you can to help yourself.

April 23, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  4. Jamie from Austin

Michelle is so fun to watch as a FLOTUS! I wasn't sure how I felt about her during the campaign, but she's eloquent, fun and delightful. The next Jackie O'!

April 23, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  5. Eva, Falls Church, VA

She has more of THOSE sweaters?!?! Someone...please go take them away from her.

April 23, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  6. mhg

Oh brother that makes me feel better! what a dork.

April 23, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  7. Soccer Nana

Keep encouraging the youth Mrs. Obama! Bo is a very intelligent puppy! He had no one to play with, so he took his ball and played a game by himself.

April 23, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  8. PatC

She would wake her husband up and see if we can negotiate with the terrorists to agree to fall under sharia law and give up all freedoms so we don't get attacked again.
    Obama would then call his top advisors Bill Ayers, Jeremiah Wright and Hugo Chavez to confirm that Sharia Law is the best choice.

April 23, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  9. Tania

Stephanie,

If she did what you suggest, then people would be complaining – -she wasn't elected, that's not her job. Ya can't win.

April 23, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  10. white female

She is an awsome Lady, with such class and beauty, I love have a first lady of youth and style in the white that connect with everyone of all age. May God Bless america and the new WhiteHouse Family and Admin.
    The President is such a breath of fresh Air.

April 23, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  11. Soccer Nana

Stephanie, your teeth are as green as your evil tougue. Mrs. Obama is simply letting the children know that she does not get involved with is part of her husband's job as the President.

southerncousin, President Obama is not destroying anything and for your fyi, the child was asking about another country.

April 23, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  12. Jamie

Stephanie- Michelle wasn't elected by the people. I wouldn't want her making decision if something happened to our country. It's not her job and I don't think anyone would want her anywhere near any buttions!

April 23, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  13. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

Let's just hope Barack would recognize the middle of the night wake up as a call to service his country and not...ahhh...well, you get the idea.

April 23, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  14. maeve

It sounds like she gave an answer that was completely age-appropriate for a bunch of school kids, one of whom asked an also age-appropriate, simplistic question.

Let's not drag it all out of proportion, folks.

April 23, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |