April 23rd, 2009

Meghan McCain: I wish Karl Rove would just 'go away'

Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.
Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.

(CNN) – Meghan McCain - who said earlier this week that she found Karl Rove "creepy" - said Thursday she wished the former Bush advisor would just "go away."

"The DNC just did an ad, and it has Karl Rove, Newt Gingrich and Dick Cheney as the new faces of the Republican Party," she said on The View, adding that the party's young people like herself were looking for "new energy and new blood."

"It's very unprecedented for someone like Karl Rove or Dick Cheney to be criticizing the president," said the 24-year-old daughter of former GOP presidential candidate John McCain. "It's very unprecendented, former vice president, and obviously Karl Rove, and my big criticism is: you had your eight years, go away."

"...[Rove] twittering is not going to make any young people come to the Republican Party, and I don't think any person my age is going to think that is cool," she said.

Earlier this week, McCain wrote in a blog post for the Daily Beast that she was uncomfortable with the fact that Rove followed her on Twitter. "That's creepy," she wrote. "We need to take Twitter back from the creepy people."

McCain, who guest co-hosted The View Thursday, was making her second appearance on the show. Co-host Whoopi Goldberg asked her about mother Cindy McCain's recent comment that she's "ready for grandchildren."

"I was like, call (brothers) Jack or Jimmy because I actually don't want kids at all," McCain said firmly. "You change your mind about different things in life. I really want the career I always wanted, and I'm writing a book, and I can't even conceive of having children."

McCain is writing a book for Hyperion about the future of the Republican Party.

Filed under: Karl Rove • Meghan McCain
  1. Rove is a greek god

but an evil greek god, maybe the god of toilets

Meghan you speak for us, you should run for office

April 23, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  2. Obamalism

I'm sure most of us feel the same about you meghan...

April 23, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  3. CR

Very unprecedented? It either is or it isn't. What is with this obsession with Meghan McCain anyway?

April 23, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  4. The Broker.

Yep just like me! I often wonder when: will CNN, go away­.

April 23, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  5. Chris (SC)

Couldn't agree more with Meghan. She continues to be reasonable and smart. If I wasn't such a tried and true democrat I would be screaming for her to run my party. She has 100 times more credibility than anyone at the top of the republican party right now.

If I was thinking about running for President in 2012 I would be taking my playbook from Meghan McCain right now, Middle of the the road republican with some reasonable ideas that will bring people back into the party instead of divide it up even smaller like so many republicans seem to want to do.

April 23, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  6. Gracie, MD

I concur, and he needs to take Cheney with him and lock his spinster butt in a room so he's never heard or seen again!! That would be the greatest gift Karl Rove can do for our country.

April 23, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  7. Colorado Springs

Meghan McCain??????

Who cares what she thinks?

April 23, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  8. Mel of Alexandria

I have started to think that Meghan McCain is for real. Those hypocritical Republicans will never accept her in the main stream of the party, and it will be when hell freezes over that the hypocrites will let go of their strangle hold. The Republican young people who want to keep it real, may have to form another party or pray for hell to freeze over. Miracles can happen.

April 23, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  9. Ernesto

Without Rove, Hannity, Limpballs, and Cheney, where would we get the truth? Please have Mr. Rove is front of Congress and under oath in the future. I look forward to reading his editorials in the prison newspaper.

April 23, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  10. Anderson

I wish this woman would go away. Not because she should be "silenced" for criticizing "her party", because the attention she is receiving and the fawning nods she is getting from "the left" are disingenuous and pathetic. Shes found her shtick though, going after soft targets like Rove and Cheney, lampooning the "Good Ol' Boys" image the GOP has – yet making no critique on the fact that her father belongs to that same image and stereotype. As I said, disingenuous.

April 23, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  11. Bill in Austin

Bet there are a lot of other Republicans who would like to see that triumvirate of negativism and failed policies go away but are afraid to say it. Keep in mind that Gingrich and Rove didn't exactly leave with their boots on. Why the GOP keep listening to these "has beens" when there has to be fresh faces with fresh ideas out there. She got it right-again.

April 23, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  12. President Obama could walk on water and the Party of NO would still complain that he left footprints!

Honey, you are right, in my 57 years, no former VP as attacked the current President. it is as if Cheney thinks he is campaigning and he is supposed to be the "attack dog".

It is a gentleman's agreement, previous administrations not attack the current one, if for no other reason than it shows discord to our enemies. One of the few things I agree with GWB is he does not publicly criticize the sitting President.

Of course, that assumes Cheney is a gentleman.

'Nuff said.

April 23, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  13. Destiny from Illinois

Twitter is a public forum. That's a fact. "Creepy" is an adjective. That's a fact. Calling somebody creepy is a matter of opinion, and even if somebody were to meet "creepy" standards, trying to keep them off a public forum wouldn't be right.

Meghan... you're a young beautiful and smart woman. Quit saying stupid things. I'm not a fan of Rove, Chaney and Gingrich either, but then again I'm not a Republican. That being said, it is within their right to "tweet". This is America. We all have rights... creepy or not.

Honestly... I don't really care too much about Meghan McCain to really care too much about what she's saying to the public.

April 23, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  14. Pam

A lot of people feel the same way about your father, Meghan.

April 23, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  15. Me

Funny, I was saying the same thing about Meghan McCain.

April 23, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  16. kayla

OUT FROM THE MOUTH OF BABES. THE YOUNG SHALL SEE VISIONS, AND THE OLD SHALL DREAM DREAMS. THAT IS WHAT THE REPUGS ARE DOING. DREAMING OF THE 8 YEARS THEY HAD AND THOUGHT IT WOULD NEVER END.

April 23, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  17. Jimmy the Greek

Good lord – I wish Meghan McCain and CNN would wrap up her 15 minutes of fame.

I sincerely do not understand WHY CNN thinks this is relevent to the political dialogue?

Aside from being a overly spoiled Senator's daughter... WHO is she and why should we care?

April 23, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  18. arithmetic is liberal

"…[Rove] twittering is not going to make any young people come to the Republican Party, and I don't think any person my age is going to think that is cool," [Meghan McCain] said.

No matter what you think about her or her family, you have to hand it to this girl for being able to slice through the marketing BS and tell Republicans that YES, they will have to CHANGE THEIR POSITIONS to stay relevant, not just change the color schemes on their PowerPoint.

April 23, 2009 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  19. Paul Cooper

Obviously Ms. McCain has never heard of Jimmy Carter? Or Bill Clinton? Both of them have gone on the record criticizing their successors. Carter's made a career of it.

I just wish Megan McCain would go away.

April 23, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  20. Ilona Proud Canadian

Folks,

I don't know about you, but I think that MEGHAN McCAIN IS
    GETTING HERSELF OUT THERE IN THE HEADLINES IN
    PREPARATION FOR A POSSIBLE PRESIDENTIAL RUN
    SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE!

This young woman is GETTING BETTER THAN SARAH PALIN
    when it comes to MAKING THE NEWS....SOMETHING IS UP
    HERE!

April 23, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  21. Rob

I hate to admit it, but she's correct. If the Republican's want to win elections their going to have to suck it up, and move towards the center a bit.

Or they can just keep on keepin' on, but that of course, plays right into the hands of the Democrats.

April 23, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  22. Phil

I believe most of the country feels the same way!

Legacies are a hard thing to rebuild when such a good job was done butchering them in the first place!

April 23, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  23. PBMom

Love this young lady! She is the future of the Republican Party (I voted for Obama).

April 23, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  24. jeff

i guess john mccain didn't spend any time teaching his daughter manners the whole time he's been in government. she comes off like a spoiled brat regardless of your political view. i'm sure the yentas on the View ate it up though.

April 23, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  25. Zachary

If there were a lot more people like Meghan McCain in the Republican Party, we would actually have two decent political parties in country that most people would feel comfortable with- as a Democrat, I could actually have some healthy respect for the opposition party. That is definitely what we need, not grumpy middle aged or old men who have had their day.

April 23, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |