April 23rd, 2009

Meghan McCain: I wish Karl Rove would just 'go away'

Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.
Meghan McCain is no fan of Karl Rove's tweets.

(CNN) – Meghan McCain - who said earlier this week that she found Karl Rove "creepy" - said Thursday she wished the former Bush advisor would just "go away."

"The DNC just did an ad, and it has Karl Rove, Newt Gingrich and Dick Cheney as the new faces of the Republican Party," she said on The View, adding that the party's young people like herself were looking for "new energy and new blood."

"It's very unprecedented for someone like Karl Rove or Dick Cheney to be criticizing the president," said the 24-year-old daughter of former GOP presidential candidate John McCain. "It's very unprecendented, former vice president, and obviously Karl Rove, and my big criticism is: you had your eight years, go away."

"...[Rove] twittering is not going to make any young people come to the Republican Party, and I don't think any person my age is going to think that is cool," she said.

Earlier this week, McCain wrote in a blog post for the Daily Beast that she was uncomfortable with the fact that Rove followed her on Twitter. "That's creepy," she wrote. "We need to take Twitter back from the creepy people."

McCain, who guest co-hosted The View Thursday, was making her second appearance on the show. Co-host Whoopi Goldberg asked her about mother Cindy McCain's recent comment that she's "ready for grandchildren."

"I was like, call (brothers) Jack or Jimmy because I actually don't want kids at all," McCain said firmly. "You change your mind about different things in life. I really want the career I always wanted, and I'm writing a book, and I can't even conceive of having children."

McCain is writing a book for Hyperion about the future of the Republican Party.

Filed under: Karl Rove • Meghan McCain
  1. Pa for Obama

I'm a democrat and I LOVE MEGHAN MCCAIN!!!!!

April 23, 2009 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  2. Patrick

Apparently Meghan McCain was not paying attention everytime Al Gore or Bill Clinton critized Geoge Bush over the last 8 years. Does she really believe that this the first time a former V.P. has critized the President? I think she needs to get some of her facts straight.

April 23, 2009 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  3. Operation Crush Rush

Megan, many of us would like Carl Rove to just go away and meet George Washington.

April 23, 2009 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  4. JPC

I wish he'd go away too. Along with a whole lot of other folks...Gingrich, Cheney, McCain.....

April 23, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  5. Paul from Phoenix

Really? Unprecedented? Because Al Gore was so quiet during W's 8 years? Because none of Bill Clinton's aides continue to be involved in politics (Stephanopolis, Carville, Brazille, etc.)

Former White House Cabinet members constantly use their time as leverage for lucrative post-presidency media positions. How can anyone think she is any brighter then Palin?

Like, please, if you are going to be the face of the new Republican party, then stick a fork in the party, like we are so done! (And take your dad with you).

April 23, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  6. JSL

Meghan...your the third party...run with it.
    :-)

April 23, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  7. Carol

I think a lot of us would like to see Meaghan go away.

She has nothing constructive to say. All she does is bash other people and talk about herself. Who cares? Why does this ditz have a forum?

April 23, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  8. Vic of New York

AMEN!!

"Swine-back" Rove, "Psychopath" Cheeney, "Newt-the-nut" Gingrich should listen closely.

And the GOP should sersously think about jetisonning this bottom dredge soon!

April 23, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  9. kevincollins

The thing I like about her best is that she's a true centrist - a moderate who's immune to extremistism and is of the eyes-wide-open variety, something that far too many liberals and conservatives are not.

April 23, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  10. Jay T.

A lot of innocent men and women have had their careers and lives ruined by that pig. He needs to do more than just go away. History will not be kind to Rove.

April 23, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  11. Lee

Personally I wish Megan McCain would "just go away". What makes this spoiled little rich girl think she has anything to say that thinking people care to hear? Come back when you've done something ~ maybe.

April 23, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  12. mab91c

Wow...that's funny because I want her to go away!

April 23, 2009 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  13. Paul F

Personally – I love the "Rove" and couldn't care less what Meghan thinks or says. She is completely irrelevant.

April 23, 2009 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  14. ronnie marshall

right on Meghan! I'm a dem and have been wishing (for a long time!) that Rove & DC would just go away. It's refreshing (and encouraging)to hear a young republican voice with the same sentiments. They really DO need to get out of the way and let the dems and repubs who are in charge NOW get on with getting our country back on track.

April 23, 2009 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  15. Montaigne Leverton

Megan, we want you and your dad to go away for sandbagging the election, sending it to Obama. Is that something you are proud of ? We were nice to your family and you repaid us by trashing Sara Palin, blaming her for the loss. Is Ms Palin, elderly, unstable, and unreliable ? Did Ms Palin sacrifice her values just to get nominated ?

You are totally irrelevant, Megan. And your father will find some serious challengers all too eager to put him out to pasture. I do not live in Arizona, but I will be waiting to send financial support to the most viable opponent.

Your 15 minutes is up, now move along.

April 23, 2009 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  16. jared

i wish this young lady would throttle back a few notches. she is very impressive . you see its in her genetics, her granmother is a tuff fiesty woman let her son tell it . any woman that can get in a car at her age an hit the road traveling is alright in my book. + her dad is a republican spark plug she is the new face of the repuublicans m. steele not palin

April 23, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  17. Susan

You tell 'em, Meghan! You've six times the common sense as your father!

April 23, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  18. Mike O'Brien

I totally 'agree' with Meghan McCain and I am 62 years old. I wish Carl Rove, Dick Cheney, Rush and Ann would simply go away. Because of these four, I have lost all faith in the 'Republican Party'. Do us all a favor.., go away. Mike in Montana

April 23, 2009 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  19. Gorbashov - Long Beach, Ca.

EATING THEIR OWN!

LOVE IT!!!

April 23, 2009 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  20. Vinod

This is pretty interesting. Karl Rove is what Rahm Emmanuel is to Obama's administration. Rahm Emmanuel has divided the country along racial and sexual orientation lines.

You use someone like McCain's daughter and Johnston (Palin's daughter's Beau) to get your expert opinion.

I know you guys are biased, at least seem like you are fair.

April 23, 2009 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  21. Bev - NYC

"you had your eight years, go away", hallelujah & amen sister!!

April 23, 2009 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  22. zig

Hahaha..ya gotta love this girl!

April 23, 2009 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  23. Paul F

Hey Zack – hate to break it to you, but your party is full of grumpy old men and women.

The difference is that Karl actually has functional brain, and very good ideas.

It's so interesting that people bashing guys like Karl usually stick with name calling and mis-characterizing.

Whereas with Meghan, we have an empty headed pretty-girl who has done nothing, and is now writing a book? Now that's funny – what in the world would this inexperienced, unaccomplished girl have to write about other than her empty-headed opinions?

April 23, 2009 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  24. Neil

I applaud Meghan McCain. She's exactly right in her characterizations of Cheney, Rove and the rest of the Republican hierarchy bent on clinging to failed ideologies and criminal practice. She not only speaks for a significant number of young conservatives, but for an equally significant number of traditional conservatives. While introducing herself into the political arena, she breeches sensitive issues, asks the right questions and formulates her opinions based on reason and common sense. That's unfamiliar territory for the Republican Party of late. Carry on, Ms. McCain!

April 23, 2009 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  25. Who Cares

Well if Meghan McCain is trying to be the new voice of the republican party, she doesn't have my vote. She is being lauded because of her different voice. However, she has little backing.

April 23, 2009 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |