April 24th, 2009

Liz Cheney: Obama doesn't 'stand up' and defend America

(CNN) - Liz Cheney, former State Department official and daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney, defended her father's string of tough comments aimed at President Obama, telling an interviewer that the former VP believes the new president is taking the nation down a "dangerous" path and that he has an "obligation to stand up."

"I think he is concerned that some of the things that we have seen President Obama do, particularly on his overseas trip in terms of not taking the opportunity to stand up and defend America when Daniel Ortega delivers a 50-minute screed against the United States [during the Summit of the Americas]," she told MSNBC in an interview that aired Thursday.

"I think that there's a real concern. I mean, the message that we saw coming out of the last few foreign trips - I mean, forget Republican and Democrat, as an American it concerns me when I have a president that doesn't stand up and say, 'Wait a minute, you know, I'm going to defend the United States of America because we are a beacon of hope for people all around the world,'" she said.

"The vice president thinks it's very important, when you see the country go down paths that are concerning and dangerous, and when you see the current administration making decisions that really do have the potential to make us less safe, in those circumstances I would say the vice president doesn't think there's an obligation to be silent - in fact, I think he believes the opposite, which is there's an obligation to stand up..." she said.

Former President Bush has said publicly that the new president deserves his silence. Cheney said her father had not sought the former president's approval for his recent comments. "He doesn't need permission," she said.

The former vice president has been increasingly vocal in his criticism of the new administration, telling CNN in an interview last month that Obama's decisions had put the country at greater risk of a terrorist attack.

Filed under: Liz Cheney
  1. DF Douglas

Will someone tell me why we even care what Liz Chaney thinks or feels.
    Will someone tell me why this womans thoughts are being broadcast by the media.

The only thing I can think of is it is the same mentality of the media and public showing any interest in giving the Octomom a reality show.
    It is all a waste of the alphabet.

April 24, 2009 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  2. joel anvire

wow beacon of hope for the people of the world??? is liz Cheney mentally stable??? last time i look your dad and bush are the same people who did not defend the values of the US.
    they lied to the whole world and trust me if it wasnt for obama this country is doomed. even your own dad doesnt support gay marraige...
    oh yeah she s a blonde no wonder so many people around the world hates america.

April 24, 2009 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  3. gl, Pittsburgh

She would be a Cheney if she didn't agree with her father. She better be prayer her father don't go to jail. Why do we care with she have to say anyway. Her father is the greatest risk of a terrorist attack.

April 24, 2009 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  4. Michigan

Joe Biden thinks that?? He's the vice president, after all. Cheney is the FORMER vice president.

April 24, 2009 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  5. Carolyn

Is there some reason I'm suppose to cared what Liz Cheney thinks?

April 24, 2009 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  6. Al

A strong country, just like a strong, confident person, doesn't need to be afriad to stand up admit its mistakes, admit when he, she or it was wrong. Cintinuing to defend the indefensible is a sign that you're unwilling to learn from the mistakes of the past and are too scared of being seen as weak. It takes real strength and courage to admit wen your wrong and this country was wrong on so many things over the past 8 years.

April 24, 2009 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  7. Michael in NC

I'm not sure we've been a beacon of hope, Liz. The last administration gave the thumbs up to torture. Torture. And now you've got all these awful men actually trying to defend those indefensible tactics.
    When Obama actually listens to the leaders of other countries air their grievances against the US, he is not being weak. Listening is not weak. I'm sure Obama is just as proud of this country as I am proud to have him as my President.

April 24, 2009 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  8. Louse

Who cares what Liz Cheney thinks?????? Or Dick Cheney for that matter. They are just Republicans who can't stand to see Obama do good.

April 24, 2009 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  9. Ron

Even a dumb person can see that Cheney is trying to justify what he did in the last 8 years.

April 24, 2009 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  10. Pep

Gimme a break lady!!! Where was your father when we were supposed to be a "beacon of hope"! Shut up already, he had his chance and blew it! Sour grapes!

April 24, 2009 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  11. lajuan

George Bush needs to begin speaking out. He was demonized by CNN and other radical leftist but now that he out of office CNN has less handles to grab in your attacks on him. Many of us find him entirely credible.

Obama is a clear and present threat to the stability and safety of our country. It is now time for all good patriots to speak up and let the fascists who are grasping for total control over us to "go to hell". All fascists government eventually collapse in chaos and confusion. The end of America will not be any different.

April 24, 2009 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  12. worriedmom

As a American, I could agree with that he should have defended us after Ortgea degraded the U.S. I think Obama has to realize that not everyone is going to be his friend and they will take advantage of him and his so called peaceful personality. Sometimes the only way to quiet a bully is to stand up to them. Believe me it works!

April 24, 2009 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  13. Michelle in Pittsburgh

Let's see how many liberals attack her. This website is a joke and so are the blinded people that write on here.

April 24, 2009 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  14. Darrell Burks

In all respect – she is defending her Dad. Obama ran for President for change. We as Americans should be confident to be humble, admit mistakes, and still be strong at the same time. The Cheney's are irogant, evil and misguided.

April 24, 2009 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  15. johnny

I am glad he doesn't stand up and say "We are a beacon of hope..." because after the reign of Bush/Cheny, we are NOT. Liz you need to just shut up like your dad needs to just shut up. Our president is doing the right thing. It's called accountability.

April 24, 2009 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  16. Mark

The same liberals and media will somehow blame Bush when the U.S. gets hit again. Just like they gave Bill the free pass big time.

April 24, 2009 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  17. Will-South Dakota

Interesting Cheney never stood for America while he and Bush were plundering America into debt for the last eight years.

April 24, 2009 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  18. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I think that after 8 years of demanding the world do as we want them to do, it is okay for them to vent a little. We also need to understand what various places really want to say and do. We can't be demanding the world do as we want all the time. We have to lead by example. This is one of the reasons why torture was such a bad idea for us to do or ever think was acceptable.

April 24, 2009 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  19. Fitz in Texas

I couldn't agree with you more Liz Cheney! Millions and millions of Americans agree with you and your father as well. Like 911, I believe it's not if it's going to happen, it's when will it happen.
    I fear for my family and this country.

April 24, 2009 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  20. gl, Pittsburgh

think that there's a real concern. I mean, the message that we saw coming out of the last few foreign trips — I mean, forget Republican and Democrat, as an American it concerns me when I have a president that doesn't stand up and say, 'Wait a minute, you know, I'm going to defend the United States of America because we are a beacon of hope for people all around the world,'" she said.

The old saying is you kills bees with honey and just maybe this President we have today thinks that why. She is only trying to defend her father and nothing else. Your father is a war crimial and that is a fact. Most American see your father as a war crimimal.

April 24, 2009 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  21. Donna

Of course she is going to agree with Daddy. So will his wife, his other children, his grandchildren, and so on down. I just question why her opinion is deemed relevant.

April 24, 2009 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  22. Carl from MI

Obama's a highly educated man... he's not going to say the STOOPID stuff that Dubya did to the world!!!

Liz Cheney is talking about Dubya's tough 'cowboy talk' and Obama is not going say that kind of stupid stuff to the world. We don't need a leader who uses talk 'cowboy talk'... first, it got us nowhere and second, the world hated us for it.

We now have a different President who actually uses intelligent words, who's trying to FIX the American image that's been decimated by Dubya. If Liz Cheney can't see that, she has brain damage!!

April 24, 2009 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  23. Patrick, St. Louis

It seems Liz Cheney hasn't been out of the country recently. Since 2003 I have lived all over the world, from Spain to Fiji to Australia, and I can tell you that the America of the last 8 years was not a "beacon of hope" to anyone. People regularly associate America with wars, torture, and arrogance. But since the election, people across the world see Barack Obama and the current administration as the true "beacon of hope."

April 24, 2009 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  24. joan 1937

Liz Cheney had a nice job with our taxpayer money. Lets see how much she gets for retirement and if her health care is also on our tab.

April 24, 2009 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  25. the dude

...interesting that she says "forget Republican and Democrat." Seems like the same old Republican nonsense to me...just because the President behaved like a gentleman at a conference...same as I'd expect of anyone of his standing...evidently, Obama should have thrown his shoes at Ortega.....

April 24, 2009 09:01 am at 9:01 am |