April 24th, 2009

McCain: I don't always see eye-to-eye with Meghan

Meghan McCain (above: with parents John and Cindy McCain) has become one of the hottest young GOP pundits.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. John McCain told CNN Friday he doesn't always see eye-to-eye with his outspoken daughter.

Meghan McCain, the 24-year-old daughter of the former Republican presidential nominee, has grabbed the media spotlight this year, thanks to a string of attention grabbing blog posts, television appearances and speeches.

Her comments critical of some of her party's positions, and jabs at some senior Republicans like former Vice President Dick Cheney and former Bush senior advisor Karl Rove, have made her one of this year's hottest young GOP pundits.

"I love and respect my daughter, and I appreciate the fact that she brings fresh views and ideas and we need that in our party," the senator said Friday on CNN's American Morning. "We don't always agree, and sometimes we have spirited discussions, and that is good in families."

The younger McCain is writing a book about the future of the Republican Party.

Filed under: John McCain • Meghan McCain
  1. Tony

You know.. There is something about Meghan McCain that am not sure about.. But honestly if the republican party starts to listen to this young lady I think the Democrats would have a fight on there hands..

Never thought I would say this but I do agree with her about Cheney
    and Rove needs to shut up and disappear, I know they have a right to there opinions, but I think we all know them already, "anything goes in the name of protection"..look they have had there 8 years, destructive and damaging all over as it was, now let the new Administration apply its approach.

April 24, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  2. The Teester

You go git-em Meghan, you are the only FRESH-Face they got

April 24, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  3. S Callahan

And that is as it should be.....developement for each generation offers a new hope and vision..a new path...and that is the journey Meghan appears to be on. God's speed to her.

April 24, 2009 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  4. Stripe

He LOST the election. He is NOT NEWS. Neither is his daughter. Get over it.

April 24, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  5. Marty, Grand Rapids Mi

:) My father and I have different political views as well. He worked for AT&T for 42 years as a union man, doesn't have a college degree and votes against his economic interests because of abortion. I find that in our family, the younger you are and the more education you have, the more democratic you are.

April 24, 2009 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  6. bob in LA

John, she follows the doctrine she was raised by. She is a moderate Republican and has compassion.
    You did your job- congratulations.

April 24, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  7. Bob the Observer

He doesn't always see eye-to-eye with any McCain, including himself. That's why the "straight talk express" had to take so many detours.

April 24, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  8. John

I love her. If the Republican party would stop standing up for things that are wrong and take constructive criticism it would attract a larger base. The whole problem with the party is that if you don't follow like a lemming you're attacked by your own.

April 24, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  9. Dennis

Hey John, you really ought to listen to her more often, she may be your way back to the light.

April 24, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  10. tea party=protest against a black president

This is why we need terms limit in the senate. This guy has been around for way too long. Please go away

April 24, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  11. George

Sorry John, nothing personal, but Meghan is smarter than you. She is in the year 2009. You and your right wing buddies are back in the 80's and 90's. Meghan seems like a compromiser, unlike Cry Baby Boehner. If I lived in his district I would try to have him unseated because he is pouting and doing nothing.
    I wish Meghan would turn democrat. Have her move to Pennsylvania
    and kick Spector's butt.

April 24, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  12. Tony

I wish Megan Mccain would go away. She brings NOTHING to any discussion for either party. This is her 15 minutes of fame propted up by the FAR left and soon she will go they way of Cindy Sheehan.

If she had substance, it may be worht listening. However, she has become a blowhard. Interestingly her father has the same positions she takes other to task about, yet she will not take him to task. She has no credibility.

April 24, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  13. Penny

What a relief.....John doesn't always agree with his daughter....... maybe that's why I hate John, love Meghan. She speaks openly and with passion about issues, he smirks (like his idol GW) and drools over a tight tushy.

There is still hope for the Republican Party with new blood of the caliber of Meghan McCain.

April 24, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  14. Donna

Of course he doesnt always see eye to eye with Meghan. He is a dinosaur, and she is a breath of fresh air.

April 24, 2009 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  15. Sam Schmidt

Senator, maybe you have spent too much time on the job because that daughter of yours has apparently not been taught to shut her rude mouth. Whatever happened to "If you can't say something nice about a person, don't say anything"? The young in America is down the tubes ethically and morally and your daughter is a publicized version of that.

April 24, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  16. Candy West Virginia

One of the numerous reasons you lost.

April 24, 2009 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  17. Bob in Kansas City

As much as I dislike John McCain's political philosophy I admire his respect for his daughter's independant thinking. I too taught my children to think for themselves even if it differs from what I believe! It builds character.

April 24, 2009 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  18. John W

Which is why you lost!!

April 24, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  19. j

I`m 65 and if the "new" Republican Party is to prosper, they need to take a hard look at the last 8 years AND actually return to their abandoned moderate policies. They have been taken over by zealots.--– Change MUST take place and Megan`s correct. Then I will again feel comfortable as a Republican.

April 24, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  20. TIM IN IA

The real problem with you, John, is that you don't see eye-to-eye with anyone but yourself !!!

The Republicans were stupid to nominate you because you have been on both sides of their agenda all along.

You were stupid to destroy your "good guy" image by running one of the most negative campaigns in history!!!!

And yourmaverick leanings didn't serve you well when you picked "Pathetic Palin" as your running mate!!!!

Truth is, John, you're a shallow thinker who doesn't have a clue what you stand for!!!!

So, it's no wonder you're facing opposition from the GOP in Arizona. Don't worry, though. The GOP is dead so you'll probably get to run as an independant. Ask your buddy,Joe Liebermann, how that's working out for him!!!!!!

April 24, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  21. Ohio Man

Hmmmm So he doesn't see eye to eye with his daughter sometimes, but was a 100% behind anything Palin said .. wow ...

April 24, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  22. Mark S

I did not vote for John McCain but I appreciate his character post election. It's refreshing to see a polititian exercise restraint with pen and toungue after the people have spoken. Of course there are always people like Dick Cheney who represent the worst politics has to offer.

April 24, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  23. katiec

Why doesn't Mccain pay attention to new and fresh views and ideas?
    His party is going down the drain becaused of their old, worn out,
    unworkable policies and beliefs.

April 24, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  24. R in Maine

She is capable of thinking and is forthcoming, neither of which apply to him.

April 24, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  25. Sumar

She said that the GOP needs new blood, new and young faces in their party.........then she needs to tell her dad to not run anymore, he is the OLD Face of the GOP

April 24, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |