April 25th, 2009

Schneider: Is Obama the superpresident?

A new CNN poll of polls shows 64 percent job approval for President Obama..
A new CNN poll of polls shows 64 percent job approval for President Obama..

WASHINGTON (CNN) - How does President Obama compare with his predecessors after nearly 100 days in office?

On his job rating, Obama comes out just a little better. But he really stands out on personal qualities.

CNN's recent poll of polls, taken April 14-21, shows an average of 64 percent job approval for Obama.

According to Gallup polling examining past presidents' job approval, that's similar to where the last six elected presidents stood after 100 days.

Only Ronald Reagan got a slightly higher rating (67 percent). Bill Clinton and the first President Bush were both below 60.

The average for the six recent presidents after 100 days: 61 percent approval. All were in the same general range - between 55 and 67 percent.

They were all elected after the late 1960s, when the great division in American politics emerged. Conservative versus liberal. Red versus blue. Each has taken office with a hard core of supporters and opponents.

Full Story

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Southern by the Grace of God

Certainly no bias here. Same stats as several of his predecessors and yet he's a "superpresident"? Does he even have to run for re-election now are can we just go ahead and make him superpresident for life? I'll give him one thing though, he is by far the master of misdirection, and that's what really scares me.

April 24, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  2. Tam

Before the folks that lost the election start in on this,

people are excited and interested that now - in contrast to before - we have a President who is actually doing something himself, who is actually thinking for himself, and you can see that there is grey matter actually working behind those intelligent eyes. Before, you didn't know what thought process, if any, was going on.

April 24, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  3. Yanni4

April 24, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  4. griot man

he's extraordinary, especially when considering he has so many co-presidents saying he's got it wrong.
    he's done with grace, style and a fabulous first lady.

April 24, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  5. Stacey

I am shocked. His approval rating is the same as past Presidents. Wow I would never of thought that. I don't agree with that ... I would have listed him below all of them ... but then again I work for a living and don't expect the government to give me anything, of course I wish less did want the government to give them everything than I might be able to keep some of the money I work hard for.

April 24, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  6. ohiopgr

I do not know about superpresident, but I am pleased with President Obama's leadership. He is not afraid to make decisions. Our outstanding Armed Forces, were demoralized for eight years with unnecessary UCMJ actions against soldiers (i.e. prisoners, General officers demoted, and many who resigned or "retired," set up to do what they were taught not to do initially, then given "enhanced guidance" that is often ambiguous, unclear and vague orders to interrogate prisoners. This they did as faithful soldiers on behalf of their Commander-in-Chief. Now we have a mess, what was hidden and not spoken of is revealed. Thanks for re-establishing credibility in the government and in the military. Thanks for getting the economy going. Thanks for opening the doors with other governments. Thanks for being quick in response to the Somalian pirates. Thanks for making us feel that the White House has people residing there that care about the average American. Thanks for a President who also cares about corporate America too. Retired U.S.A.

April 24, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  7. German,Irish American

Schneider-Try ignoring the wet spot on your pants whenever you say Obama, and try doing some real reporting, ie. how Obama has increased the national debt more in less than 100 days in office than Bush did in 8 years, or how he apologized and ran down America on his European disaster tour and got NOTHING in return for America, how he has no problem calling Americans terrorists, but refuses to call Muslim radicals that take pride in blowing up buildings and killing Americans, not to mention the broadcasting of be-heading American prisoners, these are man-caused disasters not terrorists, how he pushed through an 800 billion dollar stimulus bill full of pork that no one read, including him, but it was so important that it couldn't be debated in Congress because time was of the essence, and it had to be passed NOW to stop the recession, but then Obama waited 4 days and spent millions of taxpayer dollars to grandstand the signing in Denver. How about the names of the donors of 100 million plus dollars in donations that Obama refuses to disclose? How about reporting his first big tax, the cigarette tax, traditionaly affects a larger percentage of low income taxpayers. Get your head out of your a_ _, and do some real reporting. Superpresident? More like SUPERDISASTER in the making if given a free pass by the MSM.

April 24, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  8. MikeNJ

Super my butt...... This guy is a piece of crap.... Now that he's back home from his "I'm sorry for America tour" he can get back to bailing out his friends, dismantling our defense and letting the TERRORIST out of GITMO..... you people should be ashamed of this idiot

April 24, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  9. BC 2

Don't jump to conclusions so soon at so cost, please!

April 24, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  10. Jerry

No , he is not unless you are a socialist or dumb non tax payer

April 24, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  11. Colorado Springs

"Superpresident"? Just because he scored the same as everybody else?

You're kidding, right?

April 24, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  12. ROC

I wouldn't give him a superman status yet - if he cuts the Bush era deficit by the end of his 1st term then yea

April 24, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  13. Ben (Eugene, OR)

Superpresident?!?! Really?!?! I thought since the assessment is nearly identical to Bush's after 100 days, we would not rush to such judgments...

April 24, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  14. Texas Teacher

Yes... he is the superpresident! There now... the question is answered, the truth is out! :)

April 24, 2009 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  15. Seattle Sue

Maybe Mr Obama just looks like a super President because of having G.W. Bush as President for eight long, long years.

April 24, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  16. Alexander Freeborn

Obama a super president. Are you out of your mind? How much is the Obama people paying you?

April 24, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  17. Texas Teacher

Let's face it, he's smart, beautiful, witty, talented and he sings well to. *LOL* What more could you ask of a President?

April 24, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  18. allan in atl

So far, President Obama has wowed the U.S. and the world with his extraordinary hands-on approach. He informs the public constantly of his stategies and does an unmatched job of making himself accessible to the country on so many issues. Right now I'd say he is on track to be considered one of if not the most effective 'public' President in history.

April 24, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  19. Bill in Illinois

President Obama gets high marks from this cynical old guy. He has been much more open and forthcoming than any of his predicessors in recent memory. I think that we all realize that we are not going to hear everything and that's fine.

Most of us just want to know that the President is aware of what is going on, that he is doing or will do something about it, and I think that we all appreciate that he takes the time to explain his reasoning and what he wants to do. It is a really refreshing change from being treated like a flock of sheep.I don't always think that we are doing the right thing but at least he is willing to stand up and be accountable which is a huge change from what we have been used to.

I know that going forward that I and a lot of other Americans will not agree with his decisions but he is the man thart we elected and he is doing what he thinks is best for this country so I will stand behind him.

He is a good man. I think that history will show that he did many good things for this country. This old man, for one, would march straight through the gates of hell if he asked me to!

April 24, 2009 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  20. Maggie

A super president? I do not think so.

April 24, 2009 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  21. Steve

Superpresident. Really? Is this serious? Not just good, or above average, but "Superpresident." Like Superman, right.....

April 24, 2009 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  22. Sher F. Eugene, Oregon

We the People voted for a super guy to lead our country! I believe that if it were not for the power heads being so ignorant to the itnernet that they would have found a way to block our ability AGAIN to vote in such a descent and super person that is now OUR SUPER President! It's horrific to watch what all the truly corrupt past powers will do and say when someone comes in with attempts to gain restoration from the greed upon our beautiful people and country! Unfortunately, that is what I had predicted would happen when I asked myself why WE had never voted in an honest, decent, respectful and compassionate President prior! I am sorry President Obama; We nor you deserve such Un-American, unsupportive, corrupt filthy trash doing nothing but trying to stop us from what has always been the right way of doing things for and by our people and for our Land! Our prayers are with you always!

April 24, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  23. Alexander Freeborn

IMPEACH OBAMA NOW SIGN THE PETITION

April 24, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  24. the rector

So roughly six hundred of the over two hundred million americans answered that this guy is better than bush and he is a super president? If that is the test, then my seven year old daughter is a super president. The incredible level of sucking up to Obama that has been done in the media is utterly amazing to me. When did we start scraping and bowing to the elected officials in this democracy of ours? The last time I checked politicians were supposed to answer to us and do our bidding, bush didnt, twice, and now Obama is breaking his campaign promises faster than he can spend our money, and thats fast. I'm all for giving this guy a chance, but lets not be too trusting of a politician until he actually does something for us. Not being bush is not enough, he has to do something besides point fingers and borrow money from China. Let the past go and look to the future for all our sakes, the best revenge is living well, not wasting money and time with tough talk about prosecuting former officials that will never happen anyway. We don't have time for it and nobody is buying it.

April 24, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  25. JACKED-UP-POLITICS, FLORIDA

How many wayyyyyyyysssssssss can we say yes!!!!

April 24, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |