April 26th, 2009

SOTU exclusive: Behind the scenes with the Obamas

ALT TEXT

The Obamas share a moment at a black-tie event. Photo credit: White House/Pete Souza

Filed under: Extra • State of the Union
  1. Elle

Lovely. thanks for sharing this photo. God Bless our President and the First Lady

April 26, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  2. nice to see the Pres

good you are taking a break

looks like a nice dance

glad you are not taking the whole summer off like Bush

no GET BACK TO WORK

April 26, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  3. Leah

Nice to have classy, smart people in the White House who care about the people.

I voted for Obama in part because HE cares about our soldiers at war. He's the one who wanted and still wants to get that out.

Really, I find it dismal how ABSURD the Republican party has become. Our country benefits from a strong two party system and there is just consistent NONSENSE from the GOP - a party not to be taken seriously.

April 26, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  4. HeckSpawn

Obama danced, while America got burned...

April 26, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  5. Linda32

LOL, some of the comments about the Obamas dancing are a bit CRAZY! Do people expect our President not to enjoy himself and be happy? Have you heard the mantra, "all work and no play..."

Anyway, I think it is wonderful to see the affection between these two.

April 26, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  6. arithmetic is liberal

Jenn April 26th, 2009 12:24 pm ET

Ok,
    While we have soldiers out, crime, people dying, or in any way an ailing society,
    No Dancing.
    No Singing.
    No Eating out at restaurants.
    No Barbecuing,
    No Movies,
    No Plays,
    No Walks in the park,
    No Kissing your wife or kids,
    In fact, the only acceptable way to occupy your free time is to cover your head in ashes, beat your breast, and contemplate killing yourself because life is just too depressing.
    Or,
    We can hold dances/BBQ's/Walking events for soldiers/victims of crimes, and do something useful with the proceeds,
    We can make movies and plays that teach as well as amuse,
    We can save up some extra kisses for our Soldiers when they come back,
    And give them something good to come back to.

Jenn –

Hats off to you. That post is the definition of all the right words in just the right order.

April 26, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  7. Muse

Those who hate Predident Obama will look for ANYTHING to attack him for. OMG he's dancing while our boys are fighting! How dare he? G.W. Bush certainly didn't take any time to enjoy himself while our country was in crisis, did he? *cough*
    Nevermind the fact that Michelle Obama works with military families because she truly cares about their well being. She has the nerve to dance and act like a gracious hostess while people are dying, and losing their jobs! The Obama's should spend their whle time dressed in black and looking for any excuse to attack and blame others for all the ills in the world like some of you folks.
    You lost. Get over it. Act like adults and spare us all from your sniveling.

April 26, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  8. P from CA

I don't know why these are called exclusive...I've seen these same photos some time ago. Not long after Obama was in office. I think it's is great that the First Couple have such love for one another.

April 26, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  9. Geri

I'm a democrat and I am tired of seeing Obama as a "celebrity". He's the President but loves the lime light more than most celebrities do. The picture of him shirtless and in swimming trunks was absolutely pathetic. He could have stopped that from being published but both Obamas have egos bigger than the national debt.

April 26, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  10. Tired of the Obama-hating

Man, it would have been sweet to see some of the behind the scenes White House photos during the Clinton years:-)

April 26, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  11. SJ

Love this couple!

April 26, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  12. Gail in Texas

In my memory there has never been a couple in the White House like the Obamas............ intelligent, duty-bound, handsome, warmly solicitous to each other and their children. AND it is all real! The country is truly fortunate to have had the foresight to elect this man of vision, fortitude, manners and dedication to office. I will again vote for him in 2012 b/c I really believe he is what we need and he needs 8 years.

April 26, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  13. Glennis

Well, isn't that special. Slow news day?

April 26, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  14. rich

CNN get with the times before you become totally irrelevant. Check your clock. It's battery is dead. This pic is old. Ha!

April 26, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  15. debbie

i'd love to see the bill for Mrs. Fashion Plates wardrobe. not to mention all their black tie affairs. is that part of the stimulus package too??

April 26, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  16. Patricia

Larry from Apex, NC....... The only idiots here are people like you that cannot understand someone like Obama the bigger idiot ....I feel sorry for people like you when you can't ever see the truth right in front of your faces when it's being shoved in it.....And grow up and stop acting like a baby by calling people names just because you can't stand the truth.......The truth shouldn't get to you if you really believed in Obama .....Obama is not prefect like so many of you nuts here want to think he is .....I had a job when Bush was in Office and so did 67 million others ...Obama hasn't done anything to get these people back to work and the Dems could have stopped alot of people from losing thier job if only they would have done theirs..Bush tried to get the Dems to look into the housing but they didn't and now here we are and Obama was part of the Dems that let this country get in this shape.....They all were to busy getting Obama elected and wasn't doing thier job that they are paid to do ....I will Pray for you.....

April 26, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  17. Ally May

Is every other American sitting at home wailing while there "are soldier's at war"? Stupid! It is refreshing to see a them enjoying themselves and each other, strong families and relationships are we this country needs most now and always. GREAT ROLL MODELS!
    I'm sure all the negative and ridiculous comments are from the republicans, which just shows me more and more what liars and hypocites they really are.

April 26, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  18. Kaitlin

A picture is worth 1000 words. And for this picture all of them are positive words: classy, elegant, happy, nice, lovely, beautiful...

April 26, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  19. Richard L

CHANGE we need, you are right that Bush was a member of the National Guard. He just hasn't been able to find one person who can verify that he actually did his duty in Alabama.

April 26, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  20. Qui-Tam Relator

Very sweet, I'm glad our elected officals don't have to worry about a job or their houses being forclosed on. We American better learn what our forefathers new that nothing gets changed without Civil Unrest and American's being pushed to that point. I hope our politicians are ready for the American People start to wise up to the fact that no matter who is elected it's politics as usual. It has been amazing to watch the transformation that takes place over the last 40 plus years when our elected officals settle into the Belt Way Crowd. Republicans, Democrats it makes no difference who is in charge there is a cancer in Washington D. C. That need to be cut out to save the patient "We The People".

April 26, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  21. Freeman

You know what they say , "all work and no play..." I'm happy to see the Obamas have lives outside the White House. Beautiful couple!

April 26, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  22. ms. mln

this picture was taken within the 1st 30 days of Obama being in office. it is not a RECENT photograph. and, if it was – so what? what have you naysayers done in the 1st 100 days to change or aide our troops? exactly.

get over yourself and please find something constructive to do with your time. and, that's a free tip.

April 26, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  23. c.spurgeon

Nice family. Makes me feel good about them and America.

April 26, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  24. Sunshine

I feel this is a beautiful photo of the President and First Lady.....Yes, our economy is going thru hard times... Sorry to say most people are cutting back on things but we have not stop living... we only take one day at a time...I hope our President don't let this old mean world stop him from enjoying life and his family...Every time I go to the mall its crowded...I have not pass a food place which is not busy...I see many people walking...jogging...couples chilin... some people need to live life...an stop complainting...If your money is tight...just cut back...Yes, myself a single parent with three kids..I work paycheck to paycheck sometime but I'm happy with my family and to have a job....I feel that our President is doing a great job and Yes each day is a task but as a human being we try to alway make the right choice...You can chose to live or you can chose to be depress an die from pain and suffering... I prefer to live and so do the First Family...

April 26, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  25. Left Behind

Really? This is news? Why were no such warm or human pictures of Bush ever published on CNN? Extreme bias, perhaps?

April 26, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |