April 26th, 2009

SOTU exclusive: Behind the scenes with the Obamas

ALT TEXT

The Obamas share a moment at a black-tie event. Photo credit: White House/Pete Souza

Filed under: Extra • State of the Union
  1. DWizzle!

you people are so snarky! take it for what it is; a picture of our president and his first lady enjoying themselves. whether or not you agree with his politics, you must admit that he loves his family and wife and that in itself is enough to make me love the man (not necessarily his politics)

April 26, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  2. lucky

No Obama is not doing a good job because if he was he would have given all the money they was given to companies that don't want to help anyone but there selfs, Our money should have been given to the american people who would have paid there bills and saved there homes, which in return would have saved all the companies going out of bussiness now because they wasted our money and didn't help anyone. I'm made that our government didn't think about doing that in the first place.

April 26, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  3. Slap Happy

Having fun while Swine flu spreads....

There is a vaccine (actually, several) and we have plenty of it... Gee, you are not very bright, are you?

April 26, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  4. Markus

A trivial administration...

April 26, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  5. MaryanneAZ

It is sad that so many people gravitate to any article with the name "Obama" in it just to take a pot shot at the President. Often the pot shots are off topic, baseless accusations or worse. It looks as if the divided Nation we became after JFK is alive and well, and shows no sign of healing. Sad. That said, this old photo is lovely. All Presidents have WH photographers who take many, many pictures for posterity. In my opinion, some day we will be able to look back at this President's photo albums and recall the private and public moments of a great President and smile. I've just got a head start. : )

April 26, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  6. Independent_me

It is so refreshing to see how real they are. None of the plastic first-lady smile for Michelle. I love the genuine playfulness Obama displays around Michelle. She delights him, and he is unabashed in his display of affection toward her. I love it!

April 26, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  7. isabella

I am loving it!!! This first couple are really standing out wherever they go. Go Obama. Let's the right wing extremists being bitter... Haha

April 26, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  8. Julia

Brad: Thank you for your service! Glad you're back safely

Lovely picture of the Obamas!

April 26, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  9. Joe Corrao

man this is embarrassing...

April 26, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  10. Thank you

if being helpless was love, these two would be considered helpless because they are too much in love. May God continue to bless and protect their marriage and may they always be united in love.

April 26, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  11. Richard L

They don't have pictures of Bush and Laura dancing because they were away on vacation so much of the time.

Bush even took vacation for the month before 911.

April 26, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  12. Mike, Syaracuse, NY

I don't have a problem with the President and First Lady attending a party. I just have a problem with the people who are President and First Lady. All 100 days means is 1360 days and counting.

April 26, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  13. another 4 year term of bogus nothing

yeh , enjoy the good life while the rest of us are losing our shirts! you make big bucks and the rest of us keep trying to keep our heads above water. typical dc bs !

April 26, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  14. Hannah Stevens

This photo was taken back in January some time and I don't think there was any swine flu at that time. And as far as being at war, yes george bush took us into two illegal wars and we are still there, but not for long. President Obama will see that these wars end and soon. I love Barack and Michelle. They are real people who understand the problems of all of us. bush was only friends with his wealthy friends and cared less about the avreage American.

April 26, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  15. Joe the Troll

"we're faced with perhaps an enormous flu pandemic—-in 1918,
    50 million people died of a similar strain—why are the Obamas dancing when we have not developed a vaccine???"

They're lawyers, not biochemists. What do you want them to do, draft emergency legislation to make the swine flu illegal???

April 26, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  16. luv

They have each other's back and are in love therefore they are able to withstand and ignore all the haters. I'm quite sure they anticipated it. So far President Obama has done more in less than 100 days than any President in my lifetime. It's amazing giving what was left for him that he is able to be a role model, father, loving husband and lead our country out of the mess that the Republican's left us with. I admire Michele and Barack. Keep doing what you're doing and ignore the haters.

April 26, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  17. George and Loretta Fischer

AMEN, Maryanne from AZ!! This President is actually DOING things to dig us out of the incredible mess we're in. I'm sure he'd be the first one to say that not everything he's done or will do will be right on the mark. He has also said that recovery will not be easy or fast. I have, many years ago, voted for Republicans. The party was different then. If they are to again become a viable, electable party, they need new issues, new blood, and they need to quit shooting arrows at the President on ... as you say... every story they see, and every bill he promotes. And guess what? Everyone needs to "dance" or have other recreation, and the President of the United States and the First Lady are expected to "invite people to the white house" .... it lifts the spirits of the US to see them!

April 26, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  18. KLS

I'm always amazed at some of the hateful comments. No matter who is our president they just will not make everyone happy.

I had a major issue with President Bush sitting with a group of children while our great nation was attacked on 9/11. He didn't excuse himself for several minutes to tend to his duties as our commander and chief!! I guess he was still in vacation mode!

April 26, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  19. Joe Smoe

My gosh people, we all know there is a war going on across the seas and right here in our own back yards, now tell me, curled up in a ball what are you doing while this war is going on? have you stopped living ? It doesn't make any difference what someone does someone is always critical.
    Are you watching this war and the others 24/7 or are you going about your daily rituals of living. That was just a so strange comment I really don't understand it please explain it to me. Tell me what is he suppose to be doing. I think he is doing a fantastic job and he didn't get us into this war, what do you think Bush is doing right now, it may not be dancing but you can bet he is not worrying about all those men and women he sent over there to war, what ya bet?

April 26, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  20. leddilecila

Great photo! Makes me smile.

April 26, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  21. Katie

What a great pic! They look like they're having fun.... not too many opportunities for that as prez with all the problems we're having now. I love the way the Pres & 1st Lady O look at each other.... such love and respect. I think our country is in good hands!

April 26, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  22. Simmy

Joe the Troll,

For goodness sakes, the picture was taken almost two months ago......He is not a doctor.....The Administration is on top of the situation.......Get a grip man.....Pray......

April 26, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  23. Janet

Dick Cheney didn't dance...Bush, may be a few times...are you following me?Does it mean that we didn't have a war? How you guys could connect Obama's dancing with soldiers at war? And how you can't connect not paying taxes and supporting our troops at the same time?

April 26, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  24. Amazed

I find it hard to believe are bashing the President or debating anyone's politics when this comment section is for the picture.
    Debate and flame away- just do it somewhere else.
    That being said, its a nice snapshot, and certainly humanizes the president and first lady.

April 26, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  25. Danielle

Mr President and wife , you look so great . I'm glad with both of you . Thank You . God Bless America !!!!

April 26, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |