April 28th, 2009

Kaine asks for notes welcoming Specter

Kaine is welcoming Specter into the Democratic Party with open arms.
Kaine is welcoming Specter into the Democratic Party with open arms.

(CNN) - Democratic National Committee Chairman Tim Kaine wants to make sure Arlen Specter feels right at home in the Democratic Party.

Kaine sent out an e-mail to more than 250,000 Democratic activists in Pennsylvania encouraging them to write a note on the party's Web site welcoming Specter.

"Join me in welcoming Senator Specter as he joins President Obama and Senate Democrats to create jobs and put the country back on the right track," Kaine wrote in the e-mail.

Filed under: Tim Kaine
  1. Andrea McFey

Already did welcome Senator Specter earlier this evening !! I'm sure he's more than happy to leave that group of loonies behind!
    Thanks Arlen!

April 28, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  2. Natasha in tally

Here Here!!!! Welcome home senator it's been a long time.

April 28, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  3. Dan, TX

To: Real republicans
    Re: Republican party

Time to elect conservative (blue-dog) democrats to counter the liberals. We can reconstitute the real republican party by joining the dem party and have a two party system. Conservative dems vs. liberal dems. Once the republican party is reduced to ashes, the Conservative dems can move en masse to the new republican party and rise from the ashes of extreme right-wing crazies.

April 28, 2009 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  4. Richie

I just wrote. Darn Specter!

April 28, 2009 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  5. okie

Good riddance!!!! The loser was (and will be) a clothesline senator anyhow!!!

April 28, 2009 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  6. Notchie

I used to be a Republican and even voted for George Bush. What I learned from the Republicans is they preach how christian they are and it is a lie. Christians show compassion to those less fortunate. Cutting taxes putting the working poor in this country in dire straits so they have more money to invest int heir Wall Street Portfolios is not compassion.

The Republican party of Regan has gone from a moderate party to a party full of extremist and the American public recognized this in the last election. I am glad Mr. Specter recognized what i did 5 years ago. The Republican Party that once represented us not represents the few.

April 28, 2009 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  7. VOTER

Senator Spector thank you very much for becoming a Democrat. You are a great statesman. WELCOME.

April 28, 2009 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  8. VOTER

Senator Specter thank you very much for becoming a Democrat. You are a great statesman. WELCOME.

April 28, 2009 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  9. Ellen

Let me add another Democratic voice – welcome, sir! I know you have much to add, and wish you the best!

April 28, 2009 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  10. real American

Yes, welcome and applaud the traitor. He was always with you in spirit, now applaud his lack of principle as he betrays the voters he was elected to represent. After all, he's not there to serve anyone but himself and staying in power no matter what is the most important thing, right?

Let the dems jump up and down and celebrate being one step closer to mob rule and being able to dominate DC. I like the fact you'll have one hundred percent of the responsibility and blame.

Let's see what your excuses will be for not restoring our freedoms via negating the Patriot Act and the Bush executive orders. I can't help but notice your President doesn't seem to interested in restoring the Constitution...

April 28, 2009 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  11. Marian Lauria

Welcome, Senator Specter. As a strong, committed Democrat, I have long respected you as a Senator. No, I have not always agreed with your opinion or your position on all matters, but I have appreciated your professional demeanor and how you explained/discussed your positions.
    I appreciate all you have doone.

Candy

April 28, 2009 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  12. Stacy Clarks, TX

welcome specter....while I know you will not always vote the liberal way, and you will not always be a yes man to Obama, but i appreciate someone pushing back against extremism, and welcoming independent thought....welcome!

April 28, 2009 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  13. Fan of Common Sense

If I was a Pennsylvania republican, I would be sending specter a note to.........A THANK YOU NOTE. This is one of the best things that could have happened to the GOP. Even if they fail to win the seat in the general election, they will STILL be better off as a party because they will no longer have this closet-lefty in their ranks compromising their principles and watering down their pro-America, pro-capitalism message. Now if they could just persuade McCain, Graham, and Snow to bolt as well.

April 28, 2009 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  14. Peter (CA)

Wow, I just never thought it would go to this point. Some Democratic senators from red states seem willing to sell their souls when they start seeing the money but I would never think that a long time Republican (even one from a blue state) would make such a bold move. Good luck Sen. Specter. Maybe Sens. Snowe and Collins will see that this is the move to make.
    Rush seems hellbent on making the Republican party into his own image so he would be happy to kick out anyone who is to the left of him.

April 28, 2009 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  15. Mark Ramsey MD, Milwaukee WI

I was a Specter fan when he was considering running for the 1988 republican nomination for POTUS. Any party, and any people, would be lucky to count him as their representative. Like me, Specter had to change from repub to dem when the gop LOST THEIR FRICKIN' MIND!! Enjoy that wander in the desert fellas...how much longer till Collins and Snow follow? Thinking is now strongly discouraged in the GOP; just do as you're told!

April 29, 2009 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  16. jrzshor

the prss conference will sound like this

Hey, I promised change! thank you arlen

April 29, 2009 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  17. shiwms n phx az

Welcome to the Democratic Party Senator Specter. Your thoughts on improvement for this great country the USA are greatly appreciated...

April 29, 2009 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  18. Tariq

By 2012 the republican party won't even have someone to nominate....what is left will be extremist conservatives and/or republicans under investigation.

April 29, 2009 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  19. McCain-in-4

Senator Specter, sometimes when you really love a thing, you must let it go. The Republican Party has been behaving as if they are addicts, verbally abusive and unwelcoming to others who do believe in the core Republican causes. Clarity in Government Spending. Thrift. Accountability. Truth.

Rush Limbaugh may publically joke, but one day, in a moment of clarity, I sincerely pray he discovers how destructive he's been to a cause you and I love. Only then will that Golden EIB Microphone grow silent and excellence will finally be heard.

April 29, 2009 01:07 am at 1:07 am |