April 29th, 2009

CNN Poll: GOP congressional leadership grade

(CNN) – A new national poll suggests that Americans think the performance of the Republican leaders in Congress deserves a grade of C minus.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey, released Wednesday as the Obama administration marks 100 days in office, asked respondents to use a grading scale of A, B, C, D and F, where A is excellent and F is very poor.

Five percent of those questioned gave the Republican Congressional leadership an A, 23 percent a B, 39 percent a C, 19 percent a D and 14 percent a F. The grade averaged out to a C minus.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted April 23-26, with 2,019 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus two percentage points.

1. Carmen

I think Pres. Obama has done a wonderful job in his first 100 days. He has shown leadership in all aspects.

April 29, 2009 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  2. Jim, Honolulu

As a moderate Republican, I have been horrified at how my party's leadership has tried to obstruct progress in this time of national crisis. Everyone else seems to get, including a sizable portion of the Republican vote, that we have to pull together and put aside petty bickering and business-as-usual. But obviously the GOP leaders failed to read the last election's results. The GOP is in real danger of becoming an insignificant minor regional party, and rightfully so. Get on the wagon and stop fighting cultural wars we've already lost., or lose even more of us.

April 29, 2009 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  3. james1

people like this leaders make the republican party lost the congress, they don't learn, keep goin like this racist party and really close maind to the poor human bean, they need chance, yours politics don;t work
    thanks!!!!!!!!!!!1

April 29, 2009 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  4. Emily in Michigan

I think Dan Quayle explained it best when he said that the Republicans haven't abandoned the poor, it's the other way around. The poor never vote for them.

April 29, 2009 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  5. Debbie

C- Minus is generous so is F-. Turn on rush and sink back into the cesspool of hate that drives them.

April 29, 2009 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  6. Chris from Va. Beach Va

The Grand Ole Party, are a COMPLETE FAILURE. They really do not have any ideas, nor do they have anyone who can lead them out of their downward spiral. Michael Steele has been an utterly joke with no vision and NO ANSWERS to nothing. I give them a F. for FAILURE

April 29, 2009 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  7. hanko

Every time I tune in the news there are the Republicans telling us that their tax cuts are the answer. Where mhave they been for the past 8 years
    Asleep. that is the exactly why we are in this mess.

April 29, 2009 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  8. ray

GOP= just say NO!

April 29, 2009 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  9. janice osborne

I give the GOP... an "A"

they are against bigger government! they are against SOCIALISM...and the PORK!

A+ GRADE

April 29, 2009 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  10. Sam

Regardless of whether they have good ideas or not, the Democrats aren't listening to anything they say, just like the Republicans didn't listen during the Bush Era. Vote all of the incumbents out!

April 29, 2009 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  11. Mike Kaluakini

I think it's said how these republicans are suppose to be our leaders and they are so out of touch with America. It was like that for 8 years. I remember when Pres. bush was asked about the price of gas and he had no clue it was over $4 a gallon. And the Republican party wants us to go back to that? They really need to take some classes in leaership and forget the politics.

April 29, 2009 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  12. marilyn lemm

Pres. Obama's first 100 days gets an A+. Each day brings some thing new to the table; these are monumental problems. He can get his mind around each subject to make decent decisions. He also has the good sense to surround himself with "good people".a

April 29, 2009 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  13. mjc

The GOP in the House and Senate deserve an F. They have provided NO rational solutions and NO bi-partisanship. To put it bluntly they have been failures and obstructionists.

The GOP Party basically requires you to pass a litmus test where you can't be pro-choice, you can't support equal rights marriage, you aren't a christian unless they deem you to be, and the exteme right wing could care less to be inclusive of any minority group.

April 29, 2009 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  14. Fitz in Texas

Come on CNN get to Gibbs. Now those postings will be fun to read.

April 29, 2009 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  15. Jo An Gaines

I can not believe how good Obama has been. He showed up to learn and to work. He did much better than I had suspected. I want him to do more for Palestine. More to end the war in Iraq. More for healthcare for all. I love seeing him 'in motion'. He is a star. Whether I agree with him or not, and sometimes I want him to go faster. I trust him...I respect him.

April 29, 2009 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  16. Emteaj hossain

president is doing great job for the country.

April 29, 2009 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  17. sherry alcaraz

I think Obama is the worst and has made the worse decisions of any
    president the great United States of America has ever had, so i give him an F minus

April 29, 2009 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  18. Truth-Bomb Thrower

They persuaded Arlen "two-faced" Specter to leave the party, so I give them an "A!"

April 29, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  19. JOHN

Hey, the best thing about cnn politics is that Roland & Donna get to give some balance. you are not objective. why "SWINE" when H1N1 reflects the interest of the country & the economy.
    no matter how hard you try history will rate OBAMA as a great President and the data compiled by cnn will be used to support a positive spin.

JOHN

MY GRADE FOR CNN POLITICS IS 'C' ONLY BECAUSE OF ROLAND & DONNA

April 29, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  20. Pam

I am soooo tired of obstructionism. I'm all about bipartisianship, it's got to go both ways. I've heard the GOP leadership stay entrenched in wanting things to only be the way they want it instead of gathering information and truly working on behalf of the American people.
    At this point, I hold the GOP primarily responsible for the 'log jams' in Congress.

Risky business folks,,,, if it keeps up, I'll work to vote you out of office in my state...... I don't want EITHER party to have full dominance, but working together to find REAL solutions to the REAL problems in MY/OUR Country.

April 29, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  21. C.FL

D-
    Below average, borderline failure. Where's the "leadership," GOP?! Please stop the party first nonsense and start working for all Americans.

April 29, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  22. JoeTerrogano

Obstructionism is no great accomplishment, just the only response when you are clueless for solutions. A dismal failure of poor leadership.

April 29, 2009 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  23. Gary Bliss

Nay sayers!!!

April 29, 2009 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  24. Bayard

I agree with Janet. The Republican leadership has no ideas, no solutions, no clear ethics to bring to the table beyond the "Democrat president? Just say no to everything!" approach.

The party has been hijacked by its most hardcore elements. I wish there was more moderation and consensus building on the part of Conservatives in general.

April 29, 2009 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  25. Anonymous

what is the grade for the democratic congress. I give them a F-

April 29, 2009 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |