April 29th, 2009

Gergen: Obama gets B+ on the economy

I'd give President Obama a B+ for his handling of the economy so far. He essentially appears to be moving in the right direction, but the banking plan was slow to get off the ground and it's unclear if it will work.

1. mazzoccoli

the best

April 29, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  2. W.LEONARD

I give the president an "A'" for his performance tonight

April 29, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  3. Beverly Conner

I give President Obama an A plus for his 100 days in office.
    Beverly Conner
    Milwaukee, WI

April 29, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  4. Maria C. Milla

The Republican party is guilty of how slow the economic system is improving because of its lack of patriotism thinking their opposition would make them stronger. On the contrary, today only 21% of Americans still considerer themselves Republicans! They are ashamed of their party. My father was a Republican but that party is not what it used to be

April 29, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  5. Ed's Kate

Typical result from Mr. Gergen. After all, he may be an analyst, but at this point and time I don't believe he wants to anger his own party. God forbid, they might vote a "Yes" instead of their constant "NO".

April 29, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  6. Betty DeVault

this president is incredible ! He has more huge problems to deal with and he is mastering them all and in a very inclusive way. I give him an A +.

April 29, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  7. coco giefer

Definitely an A+! He eloquently answers any question intelligently. This guy is what America needs NOW!

April 29, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  8. ROSETTA NELSON

i give the president an a+

April 29, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  9. william

PRESIDENT OBAMA

ALWAYS STAND UP WIYTH HIS PRINCIPLE even if he stand alone.. this man is very very inteligent.

A+

April 29, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  10. Ralph & Rotha Wheeler

We give him A+ on all categories

April 29, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  11. Mary Judith Conklin

I'd give him an A+. He walked into a country in severe recession with banks failing and car manufacturers going belly up. Eight years of crooked laissez-faire Republican politics (oh, you'd prefer to call it supply-side economics?) shipped jobs overseas, displacing workers who were one paycheck away from ending up on the dole. I live in Danville, VA, and the entire Southside of VA had factories toppling over like a house of cards near a fan.

The only problem with total Democratic victory in Washington and in states like VA and NC is that legislators feel they have a mandate, or at least a free pass, to raise cigarette taxes by a dollar on disenfranchised people.

I'm a female who has smoked for 41 years. Short of funds the other day, I discovered that Blackberry mini-cigars, 20 to a pack iike cigarettes, cost only $1.88, tax included. The cheapest cigarettes at the cheapest stores here, and believe me I've researched this, are going for about $2.80. Higher brands and higher stores can run over $4.

For the time being, just call me Groucho.

These same Democrats are buzzing about legalizing marijuana. Please give smokers a break. We can throw you out of office next time. Remember that.

April 29, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  12. meg matz

A grade

April 29, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  13. Anonymous

I think obama did well on his news conference

April 29, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  14. Terrence Myles

In December of last year, the stock indices were on a study decline. Markets were on the verge of collapse.

Now, the markets seem to show signs of recover even in this short period of time.

I would give an A .

April 29, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  15. Cathy Lynch

I think that the President is doing a great job. He has alot to handle in a very short period of time. Great speaker- you actly understand what he is saying. I think we have the right man for the job. Keep up the good work.

April 29, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  16. Terror Free Somalia Foundation

“No one wants ask about “No one wants.. i don't know why?

April 29, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  17. Michael Styx

Yeah.. he's doing great things with the banking.. tell my sister that since her husband lost his job in Aug. Hes alot of talk and BS and I watch you and Fox and it is no wonder you guys traik in ratings cause you all are one sided. You all are a bunch of jokes.. try giving and telling the full story.

April 29, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  18. Tony

I've been searching for some time here on CNN as suggested tonight live on CNN's broadcast - trying to find exactly WHERE to "grade" the president on his news conference. I keep hearing to go here and grade, but I cannot find the link for the life of me. Please make this more obvious when we arrive at CNN.com.

April 29, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  19. steve

A...Our President rocks and is trying to fix a Republican mess

April 29, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  20. Joy Doyle

I love his since of humor with such a tuff job the GOP and the Bush bunch left him to deal with. I myself give him a A but I would like to see what he suggest we whom need affordable heath insurance meanwhile while we wait for him to fight the lobbyist and other combative bunch from keeping this from happening. I need heath care and I can't afford much more thin $100 per month. I can't qualify for most insurance for I have pre existing condition. I am not happy with the goverment seems to have no solutions for me at this time. I agree with most of what he is doing just wish to see him get tuff with insurance companies. Thanks Joy Reno NV

April 29, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  21. Ralph & Rotha Wheeler

He is the man who earns our highest respect. He was dealt a bad hand and it will take a brillant man, like Pres. Obama to help us get out of the mess he inherited.

April 29, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  22. Jane Walter

President Obama deserves an A+ for all that is coming at him. I have never been more proud of my president than I am today. Who else on this Earth could communicate so eloquently to our people in the United States and to the world. Wow! a long time coming! We've arrived in time!

April 29, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  23. wmwalsh

I would only give the President a C rating on his job performance. I am not convinced that all this government spending is going to improve the economy. Also I believe that ultimately taxes will go up because the government is going to need the revenue to pay for this spending.
    The President is very articulate and speaks very well; however that is "form " and not "substance". I am interested in the substance.

April 29, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  24. Syble C

I think President Obama is doing great with the hand he has been dealt. We are in a better position that we were in when he took office. You must understand that the Bush Administration really screwed up our nation's economy that effected the entire globe. It is going to be a gradual turn around, but I believe it will turn around. I am grateful that President Obama is the one who is handling this unstable situation and given the time and effort, we will come out of this. It's a shame that the GOP will not help in the process and will look bad when we do come out of this. They will be known as the party that did absolutely nothing to help our country get out of this debacle that President Obama inherited. No wonder the GOP is falling apart. YOU LOST! GET OVER IT. Let's work together to get our country back on top!!!

April 29, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  25. Joy Sieminski

He is an A President with an A performance but struggkling with a B- Congress and a media that just woke up from a long sleep on Bush's watch!

April 29, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |