April 29th, 2009

Gergen: Obama gets B+ on the economy

I'd give President Obama a B+ for his handling of the economy so far. He essentially appears to be moving in the right direction, but the banking plan was slow to get off the ground and it's unclear if it will work.

1. Charles

I gave President Obama a grade of A, despite the daily attacks of Republicans and their efforts to sabatage everything the President does. Had the Republicans been working with the president he would earned a grade of A+. The Republicans are doing everything they can bring about failure in these United States. They are a really pathetic bunch.

2. cj Cervantez

I guess when his teleprompter is working effectively, he appears to look presidential...I believe he's making too many appearances...can we remind him that he won, and this is not American Idol...he can stop the "performance."

3. Joyce Jacoby

President Obama was articulate and honest. On the issue of working with the Republicans since they seem to have the attitude that its their way or the highway I say if the President can get his agendas passed without their support he should do so. I was appauled that the Republican party stuck with their outdated imovable ideologes in the face of this economic crisis. Which is just another reason why this party is soon to be on the endangered list. If the Republican Party has any sense of self preservation they will do what is best for the country and support the president. Otherwise they should prepare to be extinct.

4. Richard Prokopec

5. Kathleen Gauss

While I like the personality of the president very much I find it harder to separate it from his performances as with other less gracious presidents like Bush. What scares me about Obama is his ideas on health care seemed to model rationed health care like in Canada which doesnt work as they sneak now here to get what they cannot get there or are refused.
    As someone disabled,(I have an inoperatable brain tumor) I know of several more than I have fingers who are also on disablity and clearly are not disabled and brag as to how they did it, this needs to change and can save a lot of money for the country. It is things like this that must be reviewed rather than ration healthcare to those who truely need it.

6. Sam

I score the president A, he is doing a good job

7. maggie evans

The President and his team should get an A+. No other President has had to deal with these sort of problems all at once. The last adminstration told us what we wanted to hear, not what we needed to hear.

8. maggie evans

9. Richard Prokopec

You've got to be kidding on trying to compare or grade the 1st 100 days of this President to any other president. It's unprecedented in the issues this President of the USA is facing. COME ON! Get back to what you do best. Report news!!!

10. Dr. L. D.

The President performance tonight and every night is A+

11. Anonymous

this president is a gift from god to the american people some of us just dont know it yet chnage do not happen overnight

12. Wish

I give President Obama a A+ ! He has more on his plate than any other President and he has managed to deal with it showing strength, determination, intelligence and leadership in less than 100 days. If the nosayers will just leave him alone, imagine what he can do. Imagine if we did not have the last President to ruin the country the last 8 years and we had someone of Obama's vision, intellect and leadership. We would not be in the mess we're in now. We'd be soaring!

13. Terrence Myles

A+ for the handling of the economy thusfar. An American merchant captain was freed and there have been no major attacks against the United States.

April 29, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  14. Robert Herron

My grade for President Obama ia A+

April 29, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  15. Anonymous

igive the President a grade A

April 29, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  16. James Harrison

I give hem a B+ OVER ALL

April 29, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  17. Anonymous

igive the President a grade A

April 29, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  18. Carolyn Jones - Hawthorne, California

The President is definitely and A+ he is able to get results and he will bring us out of the crisis we are in – it just will not happen overnight – we could not have a better leader.

April 29, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  19. Robert Herron

My grade for President Obama is A+

April 29, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  20. laCNNviewer

I'm surprised Obama didn't metion any follow-up on job creation which should be a top priority, especially since many auto workers will be unemployed soon.

April 29, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  21. Jeff

Giving President Obama a Grade of B+ yet indicating that it "appears" that he is moving in the right direction seems strange. If the direction and/or outcomes are unclear only and average grade should be given.President Obama has done a good job of doing something.My only concern is that a good grade on the economy can only be given when national deficits become surpluses, economic growth rates are greater than 2% and we are no longer contributing to the national debt.Then and only then should the President receive a high grade on his handling of the economy.

April 29, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  22. Andebrhan Haile

A+

April 29, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  23. libby mannancheril

president obamas performancc A

April 29, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  24. For Obama

I give him an A. Its been a long time since a President last cared about the people and not the CEO's or Oil men.

April 29, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  25. Joan C. Robuck

I give President Obama an A+ tonight on his press conference! I also give him an A+ on his first 100 days in office! What a mess he walked into; and to take it all and deal with it in the intelligent way he does is amazing! I saw him slowly grow thoughout the convention to be presidential and he continues to grow as President of the United States. Now if our country can move and get back to basics along with him I think we will be a much greater country with our basic values intact.

April 29, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |