April 30th, 2009

Meghan McCain: 'Arlen, You Let Me Down'

'Let me be clear: I have a lot of respect for Sen. Specter,' said McCain, in her latest blog post for the Daily Beast.

(CNN) - Meghan McCain - whose departure from conservative orthodoxy on some issues has put her at odds with some in the GOP base - said Thursday that former moderate Republican Sen. Arlen Specter had "let us down" by leaving the party.

"Let me be clear: I have a lot of respect for Sen. Specter," said McCain, in her latest blog post for the Daily Beast. "But I also can't help but feel like he's let us down.

"I'm sure this was a long, hard decision. The polls were looking very bleak in his primary contest. His probable opponent was nearly 20 points ahead in many polls. And I understand how he's been made to feel like an outcast by a small, vocal group. Still, this was an opportunity for Specter to hold his ground and set an example for progressive-minded Republicans trying to overcome one of their biggest obstacles: winning the party primaries....

"We need courageous Republicans more than ever. And this week, Sen. Specter turned his back."

Earlier this week, conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh suggested that McCain leave the party with Specter. "A lot of people say, 'Well, Specter, take [Sen. John] McCain with you. And his daughter [Meghan]. Take McCain and his daughter with you if you're gonna…" he told listeners Tuesday.

Filed under: Arlen Specter • Meghan McCain
  1. Carl from MI

Almost the entire party was calling for him to leave... now that he has, their condemnation of him only confirms he made the right decision.

How can she say Arlen let her down, when the party is also calling for her to leave the party as well? They don't want you in the party, young lady!! You're not one of them... and until you learn how to goose-step in unison with the party line, they will continue to hate you.

YOUR OWN PARTY HATES YOU, MEGHAN!! Wake up....

April 30, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  2. Michael

I think Specter did set an example for progressive-minded Republicans. He left the party that no longer reflects enough of his ideological principles.

April 30, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  3. Carol

Let me be clear – I have NO respect for Meghan McCain. She's stupid. I don't care what she thinks about anything. Why does she have a forum?

April 30, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  4. yuri

Hey beautiful blonde Meghan! Why don't you consider jumpin' into the democratic ship and become an active supporter of Dems' ideas. Just a suggestion! We think Specter is where he belongs and he ain't a rubber stamp for the Prez, believe you us, girl.

April 30, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  5. Beny

April 30, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  6. I laugh at Limbaugh daily

Limbaugh is a coward and traitor to our country.He once wanted bloodshed and riots in the streets during the Democratic Convention.

April 30, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  7. Chris

What did people expect him to do? Steele had already said he would withhold RNC funding for his re-election due to his vote for the stimulus. And then they decided to primary Toomey against him and fund his campaign instead. What did they think Specter was going to do? And now, many in the republican party are pushing for Snowe and Collins to do the same.

April 30, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  8. Thomas

The question is: Does the GOP deserve "progressive-minded Republicans".

If the party keeps beating down these "progressive-minded Republicans", why would they stay?

Speaking as a recovering Republican, the party is moving in the wrong direction and evidently does not have a problem with it. So be it. That is their right.

But they need to recognize that they are still driving people away from the party, just like they drove me away from my party.... or what used to be my party.

April 30, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  9. A. Goodwin

I think Meghan McCain is a lot more saavy than her dad polically. And, as a Democrat – I felt the same way as her when Leiberman decided to go independent and play Republican during the McCain campaign. The one thing I disagree with her on is that Republican's care about progressive-minded Republicans. I do not think there is any such thing currently in the Republican party. The Republican's have moved so far to the right, that nobody can see them anymore. For those Republican's who are progressive, they are being consistently dictated to from the right – and ultimately that is pushing them left.

I am a Democrat, but I think we need several parties in this country to really make it a Democratic state. Unforutnately, Republican's need to get with the program before more "jump ship."

April 30, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  10. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Meghan, Senator Specter ain't your daddy but John McCain is, now he's the one you should be pointing the finger at if you really feel "let down". Get over it, you sound like a spoiled brat, life is full of let downs.

April 30, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  11. Shaniqua in SC

Obama give me some money

April 30, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  12. Sniffit

Whatevs. The GOP turned its back on him, not the other way around. Specter just took the hint and moved on. He obviouslydidn't change his beliefs..in fact, that he wouldn't put his beliefs aside for the aprty was prcisely why they ostracized him...so the party affiliation really doesn't matter. The people of PA will (hopefully) vote based on his past performance and policy positions...one way or the other...not solely on which tribe he belings to.

April 30, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  13. Lynn

The GOP let Senator Spector down when they turned their back on him and became a party that insists their members have no right to independent decisions...much like facists.

April 30, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  14. richard miller

Another bimbo blonde joke? Maybe she ought to get with Palin. Specter grew a new set of you know whats and that is good for him and the Democrats.

April 30, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  15. arithmetic is liberal

Michael April 30th, 2009 1:15 pm ET

Here here!

I feel bad for Meghan, honestly. It's pretty tough to go up against zealots trapped in circular arguments on one side and resentful moderates on the other to save the Party that recently ran your father as their candidate. She really is trying to save the Republicans Party folks so there will be a Republican Party for her kids to be able to join.

The Republican Party should replace their symbolic elephant with an ouroboros – a snake eating its own tail.

April 30, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  16. ALY

Do we need the Republican party?

April 30, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  17. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

He did the right thing Meghan. Maybe your dad will catch on and do the same thing.

April 30, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  18. Dave

Benny ... I am not a "old white rich man" and resent your racist comment. What do the Republicans do every day that lets you down? Tell us just exactly does the Democratic Party do for you everyday? Bet you can't come up with 2 sensible, intelligent and factufal responses to each of these questions.

April 30, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  19. beth

I think Perez needs to respect other people's opinions.....He wants to be respected for his choice but he can't respect other people's choices.....what's wrong with that?....Also, I value her coreage for being honest...good for her!!!

April 30, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  20. Drake

Spector let know down but him self. How can anybody truly trust a politicain, they are all crooks and look out for there best interest. The RNC is a group of old rich racist men who use patriotism and Jesus as a way to scare people into there point of view, which is let the rich handle the money and we will give money to those we see fit. RNC is against every social issue or program that will benefit the lower and middle class. If you are part of the lower and middle class and you are a Republican you are a complete idiot when there interest is all about big business and over throwing countries for it's monetary success.

April 30, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  21. Tom in Alaska

Meghan McCain is doing no more than getting her name out there for voters to know her. She has her eye on public office somewhere. One can only hope she is better at it than her dad.

April 30, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  22. Loyalty...gone

In politics LOYALTY is short-term and selfserving...I say to the GOP
    weed out Specter-weeds ...............he has gone to overgrow the DEMs
    not with loyalty but ......?????????

April 30, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  23. ray ray

@ Beny writes,

"As a black man I feel the Republican party lets me down everyday. They are the party of the old white rich man."

----–

Using Beny's "logic" ... by default the Democrat Party must comprised of young naive broke black men?

Just curious Beny... why do so many black men (like you, Sharpton, Jackson, Rev Wright, John Lewis, Farrakhan, etc) ALWAYS have to bring race into your conversations?

April 30, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  24. Bryan

Thomas... ditto !

April 30, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  25. Chris (SC)

Seems like the moderate republicans should start their own party, they are at such odds with the ultra conservative republican party they will never get along.

Meghan McCain and Specter really don't belong in either party and the republican brand is such garbage right now it would be worth trying to break away and bring independents with them.

April 30, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |