May 1st, 2009

What would you like to know about the flu outbreak?

The U.S. declared a public health emergency after hundreds of cases of the H1N1 flu sprung up around the world. The virus has been linked to more than 150 deaths in Mexico and health officials are encouraging people to take standard precautions such as frequent hand washing and avoiding work or school if ill. But many people report still feeling confused about what exactly to do.

What more would you like to know about the flu outbreak? Are you satisfied with the government’s response?

Now is your chance to ask questions to two members of President Obama’s cabinet. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius will speak with John King on CNN’s “State of the Union” this Sunday.

Leave a question in the comment section of this post, email StateoftheUnion@CNN.com, or submit a video question on iReport. Your question may be used on-air.

Filed under: Extra • State of the Union
  1. Uncle Ellsworthy

Just kinda wondering about all the hoopla over 363 cases world wide.
    363 cases does not an epidemic make. Spare me all this hysteria until the world wide cases are well over a few thousand.

May 1, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  2. Igor Bouttchenko

I am satisfied with the government's response to the flu outbreak.

May 1, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  3. a Texan

Yes, saying it does no good after the horses are already out of the barn, to close borders, I want to know WHY NOT ? if my kitchen is flooding, i am going to turn the water OFF even though kitchen is already flooded ! not closing borders just letting out all the ponys TOO ! Why not close borders ? I live in texas, I want better answers !
    Marie in South Texas

May 1, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  4. Mike H.

This is turning into another massive hype by the media. Reminds me of SARS and Avian flu–much to do about nothing.

May 1, 2009 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  5. wait a minute

Why do swine flu victims in Mexico die more easily than other victims from the rest of the world?

May 1, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  6. debbie

I would like the government to explain EXACTLY what it takes to trigger the declarations (eg "level 5" by WHO etc). I understand it, and why it's done, after some research. But many people don't research and when the irresponsible media reports that we're one level below 6 (making "6" sound like Armegeddon) it tends to scare people.

Knowledge is power, right? All these school closings will further hurt the economy and kids' educations – schools wouldn't be closed for the annual flu, unless there was a high infection/absence rate. This is pure insanity!

This has been blown ALL out of proportion and the government just needs to explain that, like a natural disaster, declarations are made to put agencies and resources at the ready IN CASE THEY ARE NEEDED.

May 1, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  7. pam Eugene OR

I think VP Biden gave great advise about the flu. Avoid crowded and confined spaces like shopping malls and airplanes.
    Thanks Joe for being honest with Americans.

May 1, 2009 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  8. m smith

I'm sure we will get a good replacement. I'm also sure the repos are going nuts right now.

May 1, 2009 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  9. Larry of Boston

I'd like an honest assessment. Based on everything known to date, is the current flu outbreak (1) worse than; (2) not as bad as; (3) the same as; or (4) not as serious as our regular flu season for the most recent season when 36,000 Americans died.

May 1, 2009 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  10. Dan Monette

Whyis our government spreading panic about swine when basic flu kills so manymore. Talk about why we should be concerned with swine so much

May 1, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  11. Devin Hanna

Can someone please tell me what makes "swine flu" so different from regular influenza?

May 1, 2009 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |