May 2nd, 2009

King: Hope for change runs into reality

The Tilt'n Diner hosted all the major presidential candidates during the primaries in 2008.

TILTON, New Hampshire (CNN) – Kate O'Leary voted for Barack Obama and began the year full of energy. But her hope is giving way these days to a sense that some things never change.

"I trust his motives," she said of President Obama. "I feel like he is an honorable guy, I am not sure if he can do it. That's the problem."

Too much too soon is one of her worries. Too much politics as usual is another. Add in too much bailout money and Kate O'Leary is more sober now than she was when Obama took the oath of office.

Across from O'Leary sat Debbie Lurvey, who took a job at the Tilt'n Diner after losing her job in the mortgage business.

"It was a forced unemployment because of the economy," Lurvey said. "So, you know, I decided that it was best to move on to something a little more stable."

O'Leary and Lurvey are among those who think the economy is going to get worse before it gets better. But our third guest for our weekly diner conversation, Jim Wells, isn't so sure.

"I think most of it is psychological," said Wells, a Republican who believes consumers need to be more confident. "The secret out of a recession like this is to spend money. And you have got to spend your own, you can't expect somebody else to spend it for you."

Full story

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Franky

It is a tough business, and you know what I feared about my boy's Administration John? That we were gonna be like the Yanks...ohh dear God, LOL!!

You know, since day one that i got here commenting on politics(crazy or not), I knew this ain't gonna be no easy business, it ain't joke, is not even funny sometimes. Let alone the Swine Flu is more dangerous than Mosquitoes for crying out loud...and those itching bastards kill more than war combine for crying out loud, LOL!!

Is tough, I admit, it is...that's why God chose me, not you, LOL!!! Na'h, I'm playing, I'm playing...

Good stuff.

May 2, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  2. Aaron

I'm going to convince myself that I have so much money and start spending it like crazy, no need to borrow it because I'm just going to believe I have it.

That mentality is part of what got us into this mess which Republicans don't understand.

I like Obama too but he's human and maybe nobody can lead us out of this mess that Bush and his supporters created/let happen, I trust and have faith in Obama but it may be too late.

May 2, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  3. VON BISMARK,Vienna.

Obama cannot perform miracles in 100 days.He has never pretended he is Jesus Christ. Mr. King you just want to stir a sturm inside a tea cup.

May 2, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  4. Wayne

Obama made a lot of promises about "Change." He lied.

May 2, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  5. Simmy

John King has issues.
    First he showcased a black woman from GM, an Obama supporter, going through tough times..... Now another female Pres. Obama supporter, is experiencing effects of the economy.....Mr. King, Why not interview a Bush/McCain supporter experiencing the same (or worst)hardships, and ask them how they feel about the shafting they've gotten from Bush?

May 2, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  6. Nate

John king you are just another republican trying to bring peoples spirits down. Give it up and help the repubs find an identity instead of talking about dems

May 2, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  7. truthsayer

Hey John we know your hope is for Obama to fail.

May 2, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  8. Independent

People, people, people, President Obama has been in office 100 plus days...he told you things wouldn't happen over night...for heaven sakes give him a chance...He isn't a magician who can wave the magic wand and make it all better...

May 2, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  9. Karol

Do these people have a BETTER IDEA? Finally, we're doing something – I don't know if it's going to work, but I'm banking on it.

About the remark that the idea our economy will get worse is psychological? Of course a Republican said it – and I'd just like to tell Mr. Wells that it's not in our minds. I just lost my part-time job and am about to be laid off my full-time job. Nothing psychological about that. I'm just glad there's a Democratic administration that's not throwing us under the bus. Go Obama!

May 2, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  10. Texas Teacher

This is not worthy of print..... tell us about the bill that just failed to pass the senate because of Democrats who voted for the Credit Card companies INSTEAD of the people! Stop undermining the President with this stupid drivel and start reporting what matters to We, the PEOPLE! And that is our future being voted down the drain by so called Democrats who are in the back pocket of these very BIG BANKERS!

May 2, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  11. Pat

Dude, it's been like 3 months. These things take time!

May 2, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  12. Ridgeway

Don't feel so bad there Kate. You weren't the only sucker that supported that socialist, political light weight.
    Right now he's busy redistributing your wealth to the bulk of the n'er do wells that voted for him. Most of his supporters couldn't find a job if it hit the in the ass. Of course most aren't looking.

May 2, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  13. Torrie c

John king is a republican in wolf clothes he never ask the true question how we got here.Bush!!

May 2, 2009 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  14. Salas

Obviously john king wants to live up to the tag that he is a republican lackey,too bad.100days is not enough to make things turn 360,especially in a case where your boys W&his gang created a mess,its much more difficult to rebuild after a major decadence than starting out freshly,so take hearth,it will take a while and stop being a REPUBLICAN LACKEY.

May 2, 2009 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  15. 60's survivor

I see the freaks who expect Obama to change things overnight are still nipping at heels like spoiled little dogs ! all you are really trying to do is irratate those of us who still believe and actually see changes being made in more than one thing at a time. maybe that's your problem. it certainly isn't mine. I see what is going on and frankly I'm amazed at this President!

May 2, 2009 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  16. Sick of the bull

Its all politics. Whoever voted for Obama continues to give praise, whoever voted The other continues to bash. It is politics as usual, just not only in Washington. Everyone has someone to blame & its never any of our own fault. Those mean mortgage people forced me to live beyond my means. Those hateful rich people put me in a tight spot. I never mess up or make boneheaded decisions because I can blame someone else. I for one, even though I typically agree, am sick of people just continuing to bash the other president. That gets so old. Time to Moveon, Moveon.org. Time to face these times together. it will not change a thing to bash, only cause anger, hostility, & discontentment. Lets grow up, realize where we are at, stop pointing fingers, and move on already.

May 3, 2009 07:14 am at 7:14 am |
  17. scott

You dems act like all of this started within the last 8 years. Wake up and smell the coffee, this has been coming for a long time. How long are you dems gonna use the "it's Bush's fault"excuse? Obama is a hack/dictator. Bad times??? We aint seen nothin yet

May 3, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |