May 2nd, 2009

Obama pokes fun at swearing in mishap

(CNN) – President Obama Friday couldn't help but poke fun at the now-famous trip up during his inaugural swearing in ceremony last January.

In a public ceremony to swear in Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Commerce Secretary Gary Locke, the president noted his administration likes to swear in officials more than once.

"They were actually sworn in before today, but around here we like to make sure we get it right. I had to do it twice and so now we make everybody do it twice," the president joked.

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Simmy

Let me get this straight: If you smile, shake hands, make jokes, be real, be inclusive, you're a Liberal Leftie. So to be anti-Left is to not smile, shake no hands, be repelled by jokes, be prejudiced – strictly selective. Does that sound RIGHT? I get it.

May 2, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  2. Pragmatic

The GOP just has their knickers in a knot because they have to find something,,. anything to whine about ...

I won't even mention that the GOP Conservative Chief Justice couldn't even get through 34 words correctly!

May 2, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  3. Dee Dee Lynn

Yeah Allen, I can see your objections to Obama. I mean after all, who wants a President that is respected and liked around the world, when you can have one who is hated and burned in effigy? And who wants a President who respects laws and the constitution when you can have one who thinks he's a monarch, that the constitution is a mere formality, and that laws are subject to his royal interpretation? And who wants a President that is actually keeping us safe, when they can have one that allows a terrorist attack to happen in the country, and then claims he has has kept us safe? And who wants a President who is working hard to keep the country stable when you can have one who works really hard to screw it up in every possible way? You know, somehow, I don't think its President Obama who will have to be explained to your grandchildren.

May 2, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  4. beevee

A sense of humour is good in these stressful times. Light hearted jokes not offending anyone are a good thing.

May 2, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  5. Pam

Typical CNN, post the pro-Obama comments, "Moderate" the anti-obama comments. That's why I watch FOX NEWS!!! You make it seem like everyone loves obama...yet I can assure you that is not true. People who voted for him are actually getting nervous they might have made a mistake. But I bet I don't see that posted on CNN, all we get are fluffy little videos of the man making jokes at someone else's expense. I know I'm laughing.

May 2, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  6. a cynical commentator

All we now need is to change marriage laws so he can marry multiple wives. maybe oldstyle mormonism wasn't such a bad thing. I guess many women over here would want to have his love child.

May 2, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  7. Ken in NC

@ fearful for my country,,,,,,
    Now, if he would make legitimate birth certificates and standard qualifications, including passing a back ground and drug testing, a requirement for ALL politicians, cabinet members etc.
    _____________________________________________________
    This statement you placed here is plain racist. You include "ALL politicians and cabinet members when is reality you are simply referring to President Obama. You are one of those Idiots that thinks he is not an American. You probably think he is a Muslim.

Get over it. He is American. Remember that if you are born to an American parent then you are American. Now on the issue of duel citizenship. His father was a British subject so Obama held duel citizenship until he was 18 years of age when he lost his duel citizenship with Britain because he did not make an official request to remain as a subject of the Crown. So do your home work before you open your mouth and say stupid things that so quickly identify you as an Idiot.

May 2, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  8. Debra

What I love about the 'Dopes for Nope" crowd is how totally insecure, petty, and surface their comments are. So Obama shaking the hand of a man he doesn't agree with or meeting with a Saudi king and bowing out of respect renders him 'the least qualified President ever'. Perhaps you've had a brain seizure not to go 'just a bit' deeper into reality and see how weak and ineffective Bush's policies made this country. Our military is spread out around the world, depleted in Iraq, a senseless war so that Bush could get back some testosterone after being blasted by his unpreparedness for 9/11. But shaking a hand and bowing in courtesy shows our weakness. Dopes, get a book and read it. Stop listening to the clowns you call 'intelligent' because they get YOUR testosterone flowing. In other words, try to develop your brain.

May 2, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  9. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Obama does things the Democrat way and not the Republican way. We love him and will always support him.

May 2, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  10. Emma, San Jose

Obama's humor is an admirable trait.

May 2, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  11. Bob the Observer

Do any of the top-tier grammarians check these headlines? There is a lot of difference between "Obama pokes fun at swearing-in mishap," and "Obama pokes fun at swearing in mishap." Your lack of a hyphen leaves us to think that he had a "language malfunction" and tried to make light of it.

Those hyphens are on the keyboard for a purpose.

May 2, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  12. Bob the Observer

I commend President Obama for the brilliant move of making Joe Biden his VP and making sure he's right behind him for most photo ops. Every time I see the clown in the back, I start praying again for our President's health and safety, knowing that Biden is next in line. Obama has garnered a lot of prayer support because so many Americans are terrified at the thought of a President Biden.

May 2, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  13. John Wagner

People ( and I include the media especially ) for the most part are unable to do quick mathematical calculations in their heads, and often are misled by the spurious and often wildly inaccurate numbers which are thrown at them in soundbites or even misread news commentary on television. I give as one small example the quote I heard yesterday ( on CNN unfortunately ) that a sneeze can send germs your way at 100,000 mph - wow! we could use these people for shuttle launches. The amounts of money that are being used for stimulus, much if not most of which will stay in country, and is therefore good money, is bandied about as a huge burden on future generations. Mathematically it is about a tenth of what I often hear.
    How much is it worth to have a president who is admired and appreciated around the world? If you are disliked everyone tends to rally against you and will try to outdo each other to show their disdain.
    If you are liked people rally around you and forgive the past mistakes (of country in this case). They also try to show the world that they are your ally. What is that worth to our future generations - priceless!

May 2, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  14. Dave

In 8 years, I never heard "W" make fun of himself....I guess that's because we were all doing that for him. Also, he had too many gaffs to choose from.

May 2, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  15. Dave

Allen...I'm sure glad you are in the whiny(29%) minority....You can cry, cry, cry. Our country and OUR President are doing just fine, thank you!!!

May 2, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  16. pat

Just what does one have to do to get your comment posted on this blog???I'm getting very tired of typing for nothing!!

May 2, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  17. virginia nielsen

I'm glad that OUR president is young, healthy and very well prepared to be "bombarded" all over. Sometimes I wonder if McCain would won ... heart attack city and the moose hunter would be the president !!!
    OBAMA 2009-2016 !!!

May 2, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  18. John

So, the Prez can joke about it, we can see the humor in it. The Gop, strangely, is acting strangely. Their non-partisan, strict constructionist, Chief Justice made it about 10 words into the most famous oath in the nation, if not the world, before he started improvising. And the G
    OP is trying to make something of this? Pathetic!

May 2, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  19. Felonious Monk

To Allen
    May 1st, 2009 10:09 pm ET
    "That's right, keep fawning over the least qualified president ever to sit in the oval office as he stomps around the world, bowing to royals and shaking hands with mass murderers."

Truman did not have a college degree. The Bush's have no morals, conscience, or ethics. Republicans are more concerned about profit.

You sir, are an idiot!

May 2, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  20. gary davis

I just love seeing people act like humans and not political correct machines and big shots
    keep smiling and stay possitive in your choices that you make every day . a smile can be infectious and that's a good thing.

May 2, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  21. Ray Fisher

Now you want a swearing mishap, nominate Anita Hill for the Supreme Court!!!

May 2, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  22. rosa austin

i luv him, he makes me feel so calm...

May 2, 2009 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  23. Yossi Gestetner

Based on most Comments in this post, it looks to me that some ppl commit some slef-pleasure acts while reading about the Prez.

Some of you libs are really crazy drunk with this man. Every breath of him is like a glas of liquer to u guys.

Wo... Chill out.

May 3, 2009 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  24. richard

I can't believe we voted this loser in boy I'm already regretting it he makes it look like he is doing so much for us and as of yet nothing still bad economy still iran threat still all the same obama is a sell out

May 3, 2009 09:06 am at 9:06 am |