May 5th, 2009

Obama, Biden sneak out of White House for burger run

(CNN ) - Even President Obama and Vice President Biden get the occasional burger craving.

The two made an unscheduled lunch stop Tuesday at independent burger joint Ray's Hell Burger in Arlington, Virginia.

Crowds filled the parking lot and lined the streets as the leaders ordered inside.

Biden took the lead ordering a swiss cheese burger with jalapeños and a root beer.

Obama opted for a basic cheddar cheese burger, with mustard, hold the ketchup, and a bottle of water. Disappointed at first when told that the restaurant didn't carry French fries, Obama decided to go with an order of the restaurant's special cheese and tater puffs.

Before settling his tab Obama made sure that the press did not go hungry. "Who wants a burger?" Obama asked.

The cashier offered lunch on the house, but the president declined saying, "We're paying, or these people [the press] are gonna write about how we're free-loading."

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. phoenix86

Very very slow news day.

May 5, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  2. Larisa

I wantz a burger too!!! ;-D

May 5, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  3. Miss M

This is news?

May 5, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  4. Sharon Kitchen

Good for them.......they need to have a little fun.

May 5, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  5. Takeshi

Ya Gotta love a good cheeseburger. LOL OH NO were paying. lol ahahahaaa.

May 5, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  6. The Broker.

They must have been Turkey Burg's. Two right-Turkeys! Just taking a break.

May 5, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  7. Kevin in Ohio

These two cannot be doing this together! As disappointed as I am with Obama so far, I will confess he is 100 times better than Nancy Pelosi..... god forbid something should happen to both Obama and Biden while they are on one of these jaunts!

May 5, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  8. Billy in VA

What kind of message does that send, scarfing down greasy, fat-laden beef? These two are just plain sorry and I can't stand them and I can't wait to vote for someone else next time.

May 5, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  9. Looloo

This is what passes for journalism these days.

May 5, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  10. Ricky

LOL, what fools..I'm surprised Biden has enough intelligence to even place the order .

May 5, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  11. dominican mama 4 Obama

Poor man can't even accept a free hamburger because he knows some sicko in the press is gonna twist into an illegal campaign contribution!

He's our president people, cut him some slack like you did all the other presidents.

May 5, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  12. Jon

I knew I liked Joe.

That's a real burger, jalapenos and all.

May 5, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  13. Nicky

That's my Pres! first class all the way!

May 5, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  14. Cynthia

Wish I was there!

May 5, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  15. Sammy

I wonder if the miss's will be giving their hubbies grief for going to fast food joints.

May 5, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  16. anthony

lol yes the press would write something about that....

what burger joint dont have french fried? i would be upset too

May 5, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  17. HT

These are true leaders who are in touch with the average americans and eat what they eat (well... every once a while).
    I am sure their purchases are also stimulating these small businesses and the economy as a whole.

Great leaders lead by example.

May 5, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  18. bill

Sure, why not, Burger story, Date night, Puppy Palooza. Step rigt up, all it costs is your freedom, bit by bit.

How about a story on the fact that as this president seeks his empathetic judge, he simultaneously is pitching for complete financial control over our education system, as well as mandatory work camps (Im sorry, service camps) where our pride and joys will be forced after college to attend, and be groomed based on ability and aptitude fand then the govt will work with them on what the best carrers suit them.

He also commented yesterday how he wants to reshape our economy so that young able and smart people would not go to the financial markets so he will cap their income and force them to redirect to public or green jobs.

But back to the real story of the day, I think he and Biden are on their way to Baskin Robbins. They are buying nutty buddies for all of the press, come one guys, and just like everything else in his utopia, ITS FREE, we'll just have our children and grandchildren pay.

May 5, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  19. J.P.

But Barry, you ARE freeloading... you're freeloading on the financial booty you've stolen from the next five generations of Americans, people who have not yet been born , nor their parents NOR their grandparents.

It was Teddy Roosevelt who warned of highly educated criminals.
    "A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad."

And one of my favorite TR quotes:
    "Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people."
    DON'T RE-ELECT ANYONE IN 2010.

May 5, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  20. Pam

That's wonderful to see them being so down to earth... how refreshing!!! Hey a burgar sounds good right now...off I go.. see ya :-)

May 5, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  21. Felicia

That's what i like about my President he's so down to earth, who doesn't want a good burger sometimes.

May 5, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  22. Reba

Regardless of your political leanings, you gotta love these guys.

May 5, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  23. wcmillionairre

Shouldn't these guys be working?

May 5, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  24. Sweet Cee

Watch that waist line Mr. President!

May 5, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  25. Charlie in Maine

I can't help it I love these guys. Not only would I like to share a burger with them (Shades of W) I feel totally confortable with them running the show(definately not shades of W)

May 5, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |