May 5th, 2009

Obama, Biden sneak out of White House for burger run

(CNN ) - Even President Obama and Vice President Biden get the occasional burger craving.

The two made an unscheduled lunch stop Tuesday at independent burger joint Ray's Hell Burger in Arlington, Virginia.

Crowds filled the parking lot and lined the streets as the leaders ordered inside.

Biden took the lead ordering a swiss cheese burger with jalapeños and a root beer.

Obama opted for a basic cheddar cheese burger, with mustard, hold the ketchup, and a bottle of water. Disappointed at first when told that the restaurant didn't carry French fries, Obama decided to go with an order of the restaurant's special cheese and tater puffs.

Before settling his tab Obama made sure that the press did not go hungry. "Who wants a burger?" Obama asked.

The cashier offered lunch on the house, but the president declined saying, "We're paying, or these people [the press] are gonna write about how we're free-loading."

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. tea party=protest against a black president

I love our President and Vice president. I'll die for them

May 5, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  2. Surly Scholar

This could have some pretty brutal ramifications for that burger place. I go to college in St. Louis, and ever since Obama made it public that Pi was his favorite pizza, the place is always so swamped that my friends and I can't get in there... EVER. I expect something similar may happen to Ray's.

Oh well. I guess as far as presidential mistakes go, accidentally denying me access to really good cornbread-crusted pizza is on the low end of the spectrum. I'll let it slide since other than that, he's done a darn fine job. Keep up the good work, Mr. President.

May 5, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  3. Paul

I find it interesting that some folks are complaining that Obama and Biden decided to have a lunch break. In his first 100 days, Bush spent half of them on vacation. There are those who SAY they work hard and cry and moan whenever someone else takes a break, and then there are those who REALLY work hard. Obama works his ass off (and even harder since he has to keep an extra eye on 'big-mouth Biden'). Give the guys a break!

May 5, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  4. Pragmatic

"...Why, or why couldn't MY side be more casual like this..."

I find this the saddest comment I've read today. When will be ever be just Americans again, working together without "your side" and "my side?"

Surely there must be thousand's of acres of "common ground" out there among we the people. Instead there is talk of "purging" anyone who disagrees with "the party" and automatically voting against the nominee for the supreme court – not even knowing who might be asked ...

The next election may see the next revolution and the seating of in the middle moderates in Congress... new people working for the country not just clinging to the old party line.

May 5, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  5. El Dorado Hills, CA

hey "ag".....
    "gots" really ?

May 5, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  6. D

Guess Barack has figured out that he should keep Joe by his side, to keep him from sticking his foot in his mouth. They do Laurel and Hardy proud!

May 5, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  7. Tim

Wow, thanks CNN. Can I get a job with you to report on things like this? I think I'm qualified, after all I have eyes.

Thanks, keep up the good work.

May 5, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  8. Jann in Denver

A lot of angry Republicans on the message boards!

I would be angry too if my party was making themselves more and more irrelivant with each day that passes.

May 5, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  9. 30m-PUMA for McCain

You're telling me they couldn't order the burgers via the White House? Come on. Something smells fishy.

May 5, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  10. DX in TX

How absolutely cool are these guys....I wander will they come to my next cookout at my house.
    Maybe I should send the Obamas/Bidens an invitation.

Obama/Biden
    2008/2012

May 5, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  11. Joe Washington

Like I always say it makes no difference who you are sometimes we all need to take shelter in comfort foods. Always make time for a good burger the beef association should bring Texas back into the union despite the Governors statement just to keep selling meat at the very least.

May 5, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  12. Ken

For a brief moment POTUS was not trying to figure out how to keep my grandchildren enslaved to the governement.

May 5, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  13. Larry

The President, and his Next In Line, having lunch in an unsecured, public location.

The reason CEOs and their COOs and CFOs don't travel on the same plane. It's called Succession Planning.

Not well played, Mr. President.

May 5, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  14. ~~ July ~~

ag May 5th, 2009 3:53 pm ET

ha.. and cnn had to be the news channel following them. classic. i think obama gots cnn on speed dial for whenever they decide to pull one of these, "hey lets show the public we are like them" type of stunts
    ________________________________________

hhmmmmmmmmm actually since EVERY network has a reporter WORKING at the WH .... they do their job to report whatever the President does ... and it is their job to see if they want to report it on the news or blog page. AND since CNN knows that people are reading the blogs and leaving comments .... they decide what to post in order to get people in their site.

Sooooo ag ......... learn something new about who this 'job' is done.

May 5, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  15. H-ROD

all of this for a stupid burger !! well i'm glad the billderburgs let him out to eat!!

May 5, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  16. Peter (CA)

kevin @3:54

Is this all you guys got left? The guy wanted a burger. No matter where he went he would have cameras following him. Why is this such an issue? You guys really need to get over yourselves and discuss something constructive.
    It seems to me that your side are the ones who were had for all those years by leaders who told you they cared about you while ruining this country and its future for their greed.

May 5, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  17. Check your facts!

These are two "blue-bloods" trying way too hard to appear to be like common people. Very obvious. says one disgruntled citizen ...

If you and your ilk think that either Obama or Biden are "blue-bloods" then you have researched their early lives. Both come from working class people and through hard work, education and guts, are now where they are! Unless you automatically hate successful people who come from humble beginnings!

You have the right to your own opinion – but not the right to your own facts!

May 5, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  18. ratbone

this is my neighborhood burger place. It's the best burger I've ever had. I'm glad to see he's learning the best places to eat in the hood. I can't to see him out and about DC.

May 5, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  19. Stacy from Leesburg, VA

Okay, the media follows two guys that go out and dine on a burger and conservatives want to tear them a new one? Geez, we cannot even go to lunch anymore in this country! It would have been really funny if Dick Cheney was there serving burgers...how about that?

May 5, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  20. Jeff W.

Wasn't it Bush senior who didn't know how much milk cost?

May 5, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  21. Ryan

great... I am HUNGRY!!!!!!!! :D

May 5, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  22. Flex

But, Obama, be careful, your abs! Hamburgers are for fat, christianist, sexless slobs!

May 5, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  23. Rainbow

I figured President Obama would opt. for the Sinclair dog.

May 5, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  24. dan bailey

a big greasy burger hits the spot and they know it

May 5, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  25. Pat Omaha, NE

So many negative people!!!

1. it was lunch time....that's why he wasn't "working"
    2. Yes, he paid with OUR money....we're paying him...he's spending his
    paycheck just like you do!!
    3. They were not "sneaking" around...just breaking the norm!
    (He's doing alot of that!!!)

I love MY president!!! (And VP, too!)

May 5, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |