May 5th, 2009

Obama, Biden sneak out of White House for burger run

(CNN ) - Even President Obama and Vice President Biden get the occasional burger craving.

The two made an unscheduled lunch stop Tuesday at independent burger joint Ray's Hell Burger in Arlington, Virginia.

Crowds filled the parking lot and lined the streets as the leaders ordered inside.

Biden took the lead ordering a swiss cheese burger with jalapeños and a root beer.

Obama opted for a basic cheddar cheese burger, with mustard, hold the ketchup, and a bottle of water. Disappointed at first when told that the restaurant didn't carry French fries, Obama decided to go with an order of the restaurant's special cheese and tater puffs.

Before settling his tab Obama made sure that the press did not go hungry. "Who wants a burger?" Obama asked.

The cashier offered lunch on the house, but the president declined saying, "We're paying, or these people [the press] are gonna write about how we're free-loading."

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. John G

I'm glad this story didn't lose out to unimportant things like foreign policy, the budget or whether or not the dog has fleas...

I don't have a problem with these two getting a burger, I just don't think it's appropriate to report it as political news when there are MUCH more important things for reporters to talk about.

May 5, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  2. Jenny

I love these guys. I think Obama likes to get out now and then as he is stuck in the bubble all the time.
    The conservatives that post negative stuff are just jealous that we have such a likable, popular President.

May 5, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  3. John

Boy this is news worthy... Rock on CNN...

May 5, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  4. Derek

I love you most of you are now calling Obama and Biden "real people". You are absolutely crazy and brain washed by the media. This was obviously a new way to get press coverage. I'm sure this has been planned for days for security purposes and the media makes it sound like they just decided to go grab some burgers at the spur of the moment. Real people? Ask Michelle Obama where she got those $540 pair of shoes.

May 5, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  5. el Rob O

Doesn't this just give you a thrill up your leg?

I notice CNN has a hard time printing my comments whenever I point out the incredible biasness of their channel.

Do you think CNN EVER would run something like this if Bush and Cheney ate a hamburger?

May 5, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  6. WhoCares?

I can't honestly believe their are so many mean-spirited Americans out there.

It is so sad to read these replies because Obama went and had a hamburger.

What makes people so mean-spirited with so much hate in their hearts?

May 5, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  7. John

sad that there are over 170 comment s on this and 5 on same sex marriage in Maine. You people need to get your priorities straight.

May 5, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  8. Robin

dominican mama 4 Obama:

You are so right, people would rather hate then pray. I'm so happy I choose to pray! It's not worth hating, life is too short.

I may be a Rupublican, but I do think our president is a down to earth guy and an awesome husband and father.

Just because I disagree with some of his policies, does not mean I don't support him.

May 5, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  9. independent party member

OMG!!! Wow!!! He ate!!! OMG!!!! What a great photo op to show the whole wide wonderful world how down to earth he is...aw shucks Barry! You really are a man of the people tipping off the paparazzi to show the world you're just one of us! You're really swell!!! I can live my life now knowing what the president ate for lunch. This is amazing!! I'm calling all my friends right now!!!

btw...I'm not republican in case you crazy pple want to attack me =)

HAVE A NICE DAY EVERYONE...wow...a burger..can't get over it...wow...no ketchup..i'm not gonna order w/ketchup either!! This is just great....I can go on and on and on and on........

May 5, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  10. Andy

I find it quite amusing that the GOP is still all whiney about losing last year. It's a lot of fun watching the Grand Oil Party implode – while all the time clutching it's guns.

May 5, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  11. graydude

I remember when I used to be able to go out for a burger......the good ole days

May 5, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  12. Carol

I wish the president would spend more time in the White House working on our economic problems, rather than doing burger runs, jet setting all over the country, etc.

May 5, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  13. Greg Pottstown, Pa.

Politics in America = popularity contest
    proof: this article has 200+ posts
    the article about the taliban taking a huge region of pakistan has less that 50. That says it all.
    We would rather talk about what the president had for lunch.

May 5, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  14. JLS

I wonder how many people were inconvenienced over this??? But hey, it does look cute, doesn't it?? Groan!!

May 5, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  15. James

Kevin in Ohio:

Obama and Biden bluebloods ????
    Obama – son of a single mother, eating with food stamps at times. Biden, working class boy whose dad couldn't afford to live at home, since he had to work in another city for a time. If you're going to criticize, at least have a legitimate and factual argument.

May 5, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  16. MD

Very cool...

May 5, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  17. Jasmine in Germany

What a delightful little story, I enjoyed it, it made me smile!

May 5, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  18. Claude Kalid

All these spontaneous excursions from the White House make me a little nervous. I like the fact that we have a vital and energetic President, but don’t these outings put him in danger?

CK

May 5, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  19. Sarah

In response to Kevin from Ohio, do "blue-bloods" not eat at burger joints? How should he be acting? Should he stay locked up in the White House and never go out in public? He is only trying to stay grounded and in touch with the American people.

May 5, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  20. Mark

It is so great that the President feels and does get out in Washington. The people are loving this guy, is he so natural. He has opened up the WH to the people too. I love his sense of being and who he is. We needed him back 8 years ago.

May 5, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  21. Big Ed

Running a country can work up a big appitite!

May 5, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  22. Glenview Boy

How refreshing! Never saw this from the elitists who had these positions for the last 8 years!

May 5, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  23. Shame

Republicans commenting today are just reconfirming how bitter they are.

Where were all the complaints from Republicans when George W was in Texas ten gazillion times for vacation? derrrr

May 5, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  24. Jimbo

You ALL have it wrong on this posting. The Barakster and Joe Da Foot were checking progress on their $750 Billion stimulus package and how many $5 per hour jobs were being created at the burger joints. BTW, wonder why he was disipointed about not getting his French Fries??

May 5, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  25. Glenview Boy

Hey Carol, Barack did more for our country in the period between the day he was elected and the inaugeration than Bush did in 8 years! Get over it!

May 5, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |