May 5th, 2009

Obama, Biden sneak out of White House for burger run

(CNN ) - Even President Obama and Vice President Biden get the occasional burger craving.

The two made an unscheduled lunch stop Tuesday at independent burger joint Ray's Hell Burger in Arlington, Virginia.

Crowds filled the parking lot and lined the streets as the leaders ordered inside.

Biden took the lead ordering a swiss cheese burger with jalapeños and a root beer.

Obama opted for a basic cheddar cheese burger, with mustard, hold the ketchup, and a bottle of water. Disappointed at first when told that the restaurant didn't carry French fries, Obama decided to go with an order of the restaurant's special cheese and tater puffs.

Before settling his tab Obama made sure that the press did not go hungry. "Who wants a burger?" Obama asked.

The cashier offered lunch on the house, but the president declined saying, "We're paying, or these people [the press] are gonna write about how we're free-loading."

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Ridiculous

Good for them! I'm glad they had a lunch out that they enjoyed. :)

May 5, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  2. Minnesotan

I love having educated people with a sense of humor, fair play and honesty in the White House. The last person there didn't do a very good job and left one big mess to clean up after.

May 5, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  3. Republicans are the American Taliban

It is so refreshing to have new leaders that are just regular people like the rest of us.

May 5, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  4. Clement

This is the kind of thing I like about our new leaders... they are not free-loaders! They are just like me. Working hard and taking care of their families and the world I might add.

May 5, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  5. Dan, TX

That's one more small business owner that the Obama adminstration helped. Wonder how much more business that visit was worth for them.

May 5, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  6. Peter V

"Shouldn't these guys be working?" – wcmillionare

Oh my you're right. They got lunch, and it cost them a whole $10 each. How DARE they!

And you guys wonder why people have given up on the right wing.

May 5, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  7. Eunice

Great Obama and I just love Joe Biden's style. Throw in Michele and Jill and what a team. Too funny.

Good going guys.

May 5, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  8. johnny

@ Ya May 5th, 2009 3:15 pm ET

What kind of burger place asks how well you want it done? It's either raw or cooked!

A lot of places ask how you would like your burger cooked. A lot of them will even print on the menu that they cook it to an internal temperature of 160-165 degrees which is medium well, and if you prefer it rare it will be at your own risk.

May 5, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  9. Fair is Fair

Did Biden order the Mc Hairplugs?

May 5, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  10. kay

This is great
    Real people

May 5, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  11. Seriously

im a jalapeno and swiss fan with a root beer(depending on the quality of the root beer)... great choice... I would be upset too about the lack of fries in this establishment.

May 5, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  12. Max

Who Cares?

May 5, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  13. Michael

It's amazing. We have a real person in the White House, working his ass off for us and every other comment on this article is from a Republican with snide stupid remarks. Keep it up creeps. The more you deny the undeniable the more the people see the worthlessness of backing the party of "no". :)

May 5, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  14. Avonne

I'm pretty sure even those that work...wcmillionairre and wondering, often are able to take a break for lunch! Lighten up a bit.

May 5, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  15. Anonymous

To all of you who are asking "why these guys are not working", this president and the vice president have worked more in their first 100 days than the previous ones in the last 8 years. Furthermore, everyone is entitled to a lunch even during work hours. So get a life.

May 5, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  16. George Enis

Hannity will be MAD on his show tonight.

May 5, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  17. Rick from b,ham alabama

How dare the president and the vice president go to a burger place and get a hamburger. Do they not know the danger that put the country in, we could get attack. We would have no one the run the coutry, not only that they paid for it with our taxpayers money, in that they are paid by the goverment, and they dare act like everyday people.
    We need a adminitration that don't understand everyday american people lives........................I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SOUND A RIGHT WING. What do you think.

May 5, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  18. Hold The Ketchup, Hold The Lettuce

Hold the ketchup, hold the lettuce, special order, don't upset us, all you have to do is let us serve it your way....

I love this story. Every once in awhile you find yourself smiling about American politics. I love it. !!!!

May 5, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  19. Mike FROM CALGARY

He walks with Kings and world leaders ... yet hasn't lost the common touch. Class and grace personified.
    If only he would stand up for weakest voiceless citizens about to be born!

May 5, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  20. Dave

Down to earth, ehh
    I work a block away and was headed to my client's. There were about 5 limos and 5 SUV's including a gaggle of police escort both at beginning and end of the entourage. Road was closed for this procession. I'm not buying it; looks more like a photo op and press deal. Not impressed. BO not a man of the people but enjoys the image which people have made of him.

May 5, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  21. ahawk

Mmm, yummy burgers! But I can't help but feel sorry for them since they can't sit down and eat in peace without everyone wanting to mob them or other people wondering "why aren't they at work" or "shouldn't they be working?"! Like nobody ever takes a lunch break? I'll bet some of you are eating a Big Mac right now while you're reading this!!

May 5, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  22. Jon

"That's wonderful to see them being so down to earth… how refreshing!!!"

Someone hand me a barf bag, I've been drinking pure maple syrup. I just knew people would take advantage of this story. As if Bush weren't even more down to earth than Obama.

May 5, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  23. Karen S Crow

Mr President ... an occasional good, juicy cheeseburger won't hurt ... Much! Juust remember ... you also indulge in the odd ciggie every now & again. Try to keep both of those to a minimum or you'll be on a first name basis with your cardiologist.

May 5, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  24. Susan in SC

@ wondering May 5th, 2009 3:17 pm ET
    "Ok, so they got some burgers. Where are they jobs??? We need work!!!"

Your horriific grammar aside, dude, do you NOT get a lunch break? I do. My boss does. My husband does. My son in school does. Everyone I know does. What? You won't let the President and Vice President have lunch????

Get a grip.

May 5, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  25. NARDOFREE VIRGINIA

shouldn't these guys be working ? c'mon it's a lunch break.. of course the tax papers are paying for the burgers, they are the government right now. i can't believe people are whining because the president and vice president are having a burger.

May 5, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |