May 5th, 2009

Obama, Biden sneak out of White House for burger run

(CNN ) - Even President Obama and Vice President Biden get the occasional burger craving.

The two made an unscheduled lunch stop Tuesday at independent burger joint Ray's Hell Burger in Arlington, Virginia.

Crowds filled the parking lot and lined the streets as the leaders ordered inside.

Biden took the lead ordering a swiss cheese burger with jalapeños and a root beer.

Obama opted for a basic cheddar cheese burger, with mustard, hold the ketchup, and a bottle of water. Disappointed at first when told that the restaurant didn't carry French fries, Obama decided to go with an order of the restaurant's special cheese and tater puffs.

Before settling his tab Obama made sure that the press did not go hungry. "Who wants a burger?" Obama asked.

The cashier offered lunch on the house, but the president declined saying, "We're paying, or these people [the press] are gonna write about how we're free-loading."

Filed under: Joe Biden • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Barrie O. Ward

There is pleasure in seeing the two top honchos having a 'normal' lunch break. Nothing pretentious just burgers and water … My kind of guys!

May 5, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  2. Joe

You both deserve brake away from work (POLITICS) and meet average Joe on the street.....................GOP will not understand . Keep it up

May 5, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  3. Sheryl

I didn't vote for Pres. Obama and don't yet know if I trust him, but this truly is the way to win the population. Why, or why couldn't MY side be more casual like this.

May 5, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  4. Please

wcmillionairre _ I guess if you had a job you would realize us working folk have a thing called a lunch break.

wondering _ first off proper English is appreciated here and second, shouldn't you be out looking for a job instead of making asinine comments on a blog (yeah I said it, and BTW education education education as the great TJ recommended + a little dose of drive and ambition, you can never stop learning). I’m off to teach myself Chinese.

ya _ I'm guessing you've never had a burger outside of McDonalds.

scottb_ what does the president getting a burger have to do with the GOP, stop pulling the politico card its such an ignorant cop-out for mundane situations???

mr. president – cheddar cheese burger is personal favorite of mine as well when I cheat my healthy habits and Ray's is definitely the place to do it, that and five guys...

mmmmmmmmm cheese buuuuuuuuurgerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

May 5, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  5. Happy for the President!

Well said Maggie!!!
    "Nothing wrong with going out for a burger. You are human too"

Why do people keep asking "why are they not working?" Hmmmm.....do you get a lunch break? Why shouldn't they?

May 5, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  6. George

Awesome Nice to see some normal people in the White House.
    The Bush gang was too busy torturing people to go
    for a burger.

May 5, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  7. Kenny

wondering wrote "Ok, so they got some burgers. Where are they jobs??? We need work!!!"

Hey buddy,
    start making burgers and sell on 1600 Penn Ave. Better yet, find out if the president prefes "burger" delivery at home. Change your name to "Wandering Burger"; lol

May 5, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  8. JT

Don't get me wrong, I love our new president and vice president. But I really don't think that this is news worthy. They get hunger like everyone else. Also to wc millionairre, have you ever heard of people taking a lunch break?

May 5, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  9. fredy3k

When they got there Bill Clinton was already at his usual seat munching away on a triple stack bacon burbon burger.

May 5, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  10. matt

What's ironic is the commercial cnn makes you watch before gettting to see the video. It's an Applebee's burger commercial.

May 5, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  11. seebofubar

I think I have finaly figured out what kind of people voted for Obama. They're the kind of pepole who are more concerned with what he wears , what he had for lunch and what king of a dog he bought. You should be looking past that and see what he is actually doing to the American way of life. He is turning you into mind numbed robots who will not be able to do anything for yourself. He wants you to be totally dependent on the government and he wants to be the one who decides what you can have and what you can't. See who he is....who he really is.

May 5, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  12. debbie

That place is going to have so much business after today they may need to hire another cashier. Excellent! You go Mr. President and Vice President! You make me proud to be an American again. After the last eight years it's nice NOT to have to apologize any more.

May 5, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  13. adrian

talk about wanting attention!!!!!! another democratic publicity stunt, and all you idiots will think the president is so much like you guys cause he ate a freakin burger in public. i bet if this man crapped in a bucket the dems would praise him for it and say how he is a "green" president for not wasting water.. boy all this fuss over a burger. get real

May 5, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  14. Jeff W.

What kind of burger place doesn't serve fries? That would be like going to an Italian restaurant that doesn't serve bread. Obama rocks!

May 5, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  15. Sandy

I am so proud of my president ! not only he is smart but he is also cool !

May 5, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  16. dominican mama 4 Obama

@Michael May 5th, 2009 3:39 pm ET

Don't let them get to you Michael. I had one nut calling Oprah a "racist" because she supported his candidacy.
    People rather hate than pray. It's all good, it rolls right off our President's back and makes him more determined to succeed.

@ Dan in Tx:

I didn't even consider that possibility! Way cool!

May 5, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  17. R.

What the heck!? Who really cares!??! It's really funny what the media focuses on when it comes to anything to do with liberals. But yet, when we have troops still serving our country, dying, and participating positive, important events like their units rebuilding schools and actually making a positive impact for the people, all while fighting off terrorists and the war at hand...nothing gets mentioned at all. Only the negative or completely pointless news gets mentioned, like this pointless story. Talk to a soldier that's been there...they can tell how many positive issues the media does NOT publish.......WOW they got a BURGER..THEY ARE HUMAN...oh how funny this really is– LOL!!

May 5, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  18. Robin in SC

I love these kind of pics of the President and VP...let's me know they're not in an ivory tower looking down at the little people...they're down here with the little people!

May 5, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  19. Steve in DC

Man...I love when the "opposition" have to work so hard to say something negative about my President. LOL Go Obama!!!

May 5, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  20. cjr

that's why I really like these guys – bright hard working and getting the country back and shape and doing a burger run!

republicans can't even eat pizza without looking out of touch -besides they have no – count them no ideas – except cutting taxes for their friends

Give me the burger guys any day!

May 5, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  21. KevinArlington

Awesome taste in lunch joints. I live in Arlington, and its the best burger joint around.

May 5, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  22. Will-South Dakota

How nice to have two men who relate to the everyday average working man and women and student across this country. go out for a lunch burger and just be Americans. Talk about connecting to the People. God Bless them both!!!

May 5, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  23. Jason

Did he stop to pick up some $600 sneakers for MIchelle?

May 5, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  24. mariel

Love these guys!

May 5, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  25. Florida, Florida, Florida

I've never been more proud of a president in my lifetime. We FINALLY got a good one! Long live and rule OBAMA!!!!

May 5, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |